Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

How would you handle this?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 05:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How would you handle this?

I sold a product to a member about 2 months ago, he checked on shipping,( I recd his check) when i got to UPS shipping was $70 more. I called him from store, he gave me go ahead & said he would send me difference. About 3 weeks after he recd items i emailed him, he said a check would be in mail next week. Well, its been a month (after last communication) & several unanswered emails since then with no response. What would you do? (he commented the xlent condition items were in)
Old 06-03-2011, 05:51 AM

I would contact him again, sending him a copy of the receipt for shipping. Then if no response, there would be a third contact, that would read something like:

Mr. X, I trusted you would do the right thing, by paying the overage on the shipping. I included a copy of the shipping receipt, in my last contact. It's been # months since you have received the item, and I still have not received payment for the overage. I've tried be nice about it, but it seems you are not willing to hold up to your end of the deal. Please resolve this matter asap. Otherwise, I will notify the community, of the irresponsibility.

Then, if he still doesn't make good, start a 'Beware of, and don't deal with Mr. X' thread.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:13 AM

Honestly, I would have never shipped in the first place, I would have told him he would have to send more money before I shipped, for this exact reason, now the best you can do is try to contact him, if you have or can get his phone number start calling at odd time(set your alarm if you have to).
Old 06-03-2011, 08:21 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
or find a "friend" that is in the diesel community that is in his town and pay him a visit letting him know that his name is about to get smeared on the boards as to his immoral transaction behavior.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:51 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I've called local police before and had them knock on the door on the subject in question. Money received in less than a week after that.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by jthorpe
I've called local police before and had them knock on the door on the subject in question. Money received in less than a week after that.
Now Jack, that is the perfect answer, but then coming from you, we should expect nothing less....

Gary
Old 06-03-2011, 12:29 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Please send me the user name so I can look into it.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Please send me the user name so I can look into it.

And this is why I love being here.

-Kris
Old 06-04-2011, 08:20 AM

He told me about 3-4 weeks ago he worked out of town & had told his wife to send the money,,he also said ill send it next week...I realize many folks have more pressing money issues than paying non essentials bills and if he tells me sobbin story ill forget about it. All thur the sell he appeared to be a very nice honest guy, we spoke over phone couple times. id like to believe hes just busy. The $70 isnt gonna change my way of life, it may make me more hesitant about trusting the next guy if i sale something.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:33 PM
"Swole It like ya Stole It"

Originally Posted by jthorpe

This is a civil matter. Not sure about the PD that did this for you but there is No Way my supervisor would let a call like this go out.

I agree it's wrong what the guy is doing but I highly doubt any or Many PD's will send officers to do this...There's literally Nothing we can do for Civil matters..

Even if you payed the guy a visit in person, at the very best all we'd be there for was to "Keep the peace". No way we could Make the guy pay you.

I say that if he doesn't respond by the set amount of time you give him in the next text, email, vmail or whatever, Then is GAME ON!!

Tell everyone on every site...
Old 06-04-2011, 05:07 PM

Im not desperate enough to make a civil issue out of it. I had a buyer within driving distance contact me after i told DTR member they were his that would have been a safer sale. I guess some folks just hate to pass up an opportunity to pull something over on another person.
Ill email one more time this weekend.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Big Swole
This is a civil matter. Not sure about the PD that did this for you but there is No Way my supervisor would let a call like this go out.

Well, believe it or not, there are departments still left that believe in customer service. Mine is one of them. No, we can't do anything from the legal aspect, but a friendly, in-person visit from a LEO to inquire about the validity of the debt often jars their brains just enough to suddenly remember to do the right thing.

All public service departments, (fire, police, sheriff, etc), are becoming more and more impersonal and less oriented to the people they serve. The 'It's not my job' syndrome is going to kill us before anyone with a grudge against the PD will. Staff cuts are running rampant across the country right now, in all aspects of public service, and a lot of the problem is because the public perceives us as much of a bad guy as the actual bad guys. A change in attitude is needed from the top on down before anything will change for the better.

Okay, I guess I'm done now. Welcome to the site Swole! I'm Scott!
Old 06-05-2011, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by chaikwa

Well, believe it or not, there are departments still left that believe in customer service. Mine is one of them. No, we can't do anything from the legal aspect, but a friendly, in-person visit from a LEO to inquire about the validity of the debt often jars their brains just enough to suddenly remember to do the right thing.

All public service departments, (fire, police, sheriff, etc), are becoming more and more impersonal and less oriented to the people they serve. The 'It's not my job' syndrome is going to kill us before anyone with a grudge against the PD will. Staff cuts are running rampant across the country right now, in all aspects of public service, and a lot of the problem is because the public perceives us as much of a bad guy as the actual bad guys. A change in attitude is needed from the top on down before anything will change for the better.

Okay, I guess I'm done now. Welcome to the site Swole! I'm Scott!

Hey Scott!

David here...

I actually agree with 100% and this is how I love to do my job, BUT like you said, with the lack of officers on the road and the call volume continuing to go nowhere but UP, we just simply do Not have the time to entertain some calls like this... And its the supervisors job to decide this....

There is NEVER enough Public Relations done for LEO's to the Public... I firmly believe the Media is to blame for a LOT of why we are viewed very negatively... Nobody respects or knows How to deal with Cops anymore.. The Media Loves to HATE us and vilify us when the one bad apple gets caught on tape or whatever....

SO much more I could share on this topic but thats enough DeRail...lol
Old 06-05-2011, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Big Swole
There is NEVER enough Public Relations done for LEO's to the Public... I firmly believe the Media is to blame for a LOT of why we are viewed very negatively...
To keep it short; yes, I agree whole-heartedly. Some of the public relations problems we have brought onto ourselves too however. There are a lot of LEO's that embrace putting forth a militant persona in every aspect of their life. While this is necessary when dealing with 90% of the idiots that have to be dealt with, it needs to be able to be turned off when dealing with the other 10% of the public. Mainly because the other 10% are the ones that relate their experiences to other people and thus an opinion is formed with no first hand experience.

The fire service is losing ground as being viewed as the 'good guys' too now, so I think there needs to be some awareness training in ALL areas of the public services before we lose all our credibility. Just 'doing the job' ain't cuttin' it anymore! We all are truly in the customer service business now and our supervisors and command structures need to start reflecting that.

So much for 'short'!
Old 06-05-2011, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by chaikwa
To keep it short; yes, I agree whole-heartedly. Some of the public relations problems we have brought onto ourselves too however. There are a lot of LEO's that embrace putting forth a militant persona in every aspect of their life. While this is necessary when dealing with 90% of the idiots that have to be dealt with, it needs to be able to be turned off when dealing with the other 10% of the public. Mainly because the other 10% are the ones that relate their experiences to other people and thus an opinion is formed with no first hand experience.

The fire service is losing ground as being viewed as the 'good guys' too now, so I think there needs to be some awareness training in ALL areas of the public services before we lose all our credibility. Just 'doing the job' ain't cuttin' it anymore! We all are truly in the customer service business now and our supervisors and command structures need to start reflecting that.

So much for 'short'!

Agreed!!

This is why I'm glad I got into policing late in life... I'm almost 40 but have only been policing for just over 5 years..

I seem to be able to relate to folks a Lot better than most of the ones who basically let the Badge Raise them from 21-22 years old...

I do this job very different than most.. It works really well for me... Unfortunately, I take more Crap off fellow officers for being the "nice guy" than I have to by the public.... Funny huh!?

Quick Reply: How would you handle this?