Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

How God directs our paths-witnessed car fatality

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How God directs our paths-witnessed car fatality

I’m still trying to process this so bear with me. How God directs our paths…
I had a load on my truck from cleaning Fran’s basement (Donna’s Mom) who is living with us. After 2 days of driving to work with it I decided to go in late and go to the landfill. I was reading my mail and didn’t leave until 8:15am and heard about an accident at Rt40 and Rt43, my usual route, ok take Rt7 to Rt40.
I’m Eastbound on 7 crossing Rt43 and see a Dodge Shadow in front of me about 10/12 car lengths- suddenly crosses into westbound – head on into a Ford Escape small SUV. We were doing around 40 and I can see it happening, it’s a very strange feeling. I pull over and call 911 as I’m coming up to the cars, one lady (the SUV) is awake. The other unconscious, I try talking to the girl in the Dodge nothing, another woman comes up and is checking for a pulse and I go back check the first lady whose leg is hurt. The other woman said she couldn’t find a pulse… By now Police and Rescue are coming up.
Later I heard an EMT call it and knew she was gone. Young girl in her mid 20’s I guess, don’t know if it was a seizure or cell phone but she quickly changed lanes. The front of the Shadow was at the windshield.
I never faced death before, when my Dad died or my Father-in-law, I wasn’t there. Maybe it’s the violence of the crash, or she was young, the age of my kids. But I was there to pray for them both and their families and give my statement of what happened.
That’s why I was there. The officer thanked me for stopping, I said how could someone NOT stop! he said but “they do, keep right on going”. You LEO’s and rescue that face this, ever get used to it??? or just learn to deal with it? I was going home but ended up going to work anyway.
Thanks, had to talk
Tom
Old 04-30-2008, 11:23 AM

i've witnessed death a few times before in the past. and it is a wonder how people don't stop cause they don't care or don't want to be bothered.

i always stop and offer my assistance anyway if i can. i mean what if it happened to me.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:35 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
md-rebel,

It's good to be here on the planet with you brother. You're a good man.

John
Old 04-30-2008, 11:38 AM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
These events are hard to swallow when you witness them firsthand. Sometimes the investigation will reveal the actual cause, its never comforting to think it was intentional.
I was an EMT for many years and saw a lot of accidents. I still can recall a few that really affected me.
Stopping to assist is your humanity trying to help, some don't have what it takes or are afraid of what they might see.
Unfortunately, vehicular deaths are a fact of living in the age that we do. Know that the families of those involved are very appreciative of your willingness to help, whether you ever hear from them or not.

Kurt
Old 04-30-2008, 12:31 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Thank you for giving comfort to the living and prayers for the dead. I've been there.

You say your prayers, resolve to be careful yourself, and worry every moment your new-driver kids are on the road. Death can be calm and peaceful, drawn out and agonizing, or quick and unexpected. We seldom get to choose. God bless and take care.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:46 PM

As a paramedic i can tell you, I don't think i'll ever "get used to it," but i have learned to deal with it in various ways, the best way for me is to talk about whatever happened and to say a prayer for the family, it really helps me, especially when it comes to kids.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:52 PM

It's not easy to get used to. If you ever get used to it, I'd worry. I'm the Chief of our local volunteer FD and we've had our share of incidents. The first thing that pops into my head is are they in heaven or ? God's will was at work regardless of the results. It's evident to me when some people walk away from a total disaster and other's die when it seems they shouldn't have. You did what you could just by stopping, that took alot. Things like that, people weren't meant to deal with so it's hard.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:11 PM

It is hard to get things out of your head like that a buddy and i wihtnessed a plane going down and we jumped in and i swam into the snking plane ( i live on a island) we ended up getting the guy out just after the water coverd his face talk about adrenaline thing is when we pulled up there was probly 5 to 10 people just standing there looking who know why. You did the rite thing stoping tho And you never know how you impact people and dont even relize it just a simple thing like saying ill pray for you mite stick in that persons head just like that accident stuck in yours. I lost sleep for weeks cause when i saw the water go over that guys face i thougt he was gonna die within feet of me.
Ill pray for your peace of mind you did the rite thing
Old 04-30-2008, 03:58 PM

Your post reminded me of other people God directed http://www.goodyear.com/truck/news/hero.html
Old 04-30-2008, 04:01 PM

Ive only come across a few TA's and none of them were all that serious (nobody was air lifted or died) and its still weird. Im not an EMT but made good friends with one at my old job. She said they always passed it off with humor and usually just unloaded the entire shifts events over the table at IHOP or something. She said thats the only way you could stay sane is to just "laugh it off" of sorts and use that as a shield. I know that sounds harsh but I can understand, if you let things like that sink deep down into you, it will haunt you.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:01 PM
Banned

no matter how hard you try, you carry those calls with you for the rest of your life...the difference with people is how deep they bury the feelings and let it affect their life. after a while you become almost numb to it...kinda unfortionate
Old 04-30-2008, 06:56 PM

so, if god directed you to the scene of the accident, to help, shouldn't he in the infinite wisdom of the creator, or lord or whatever, somehow in his magical powers stop the seizure or blowout or 12 pack from causing the accident?
Old 04-30-2008, 07:06 PM

As horrible as it may sound, I use humor to ease the tragedy. I've reconstructed my fair share of fatalities and don't ever get used to it. I've become more numb and callused over the years, but each one still bothers me to a certain degree. I try and put each one out of my mind so I can investigate the next one.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was involved in a very similar accident 6 months ago Monday. A guy had passing out problems and hit me head on. He was driving a 1500 Quad Cab Ram and I was in my regular cab S-10. The accident report listed him as going between 55 and 60 mph and my speed as 40-45 mph. We were all fortunate to make it through it. I had the worst injuries and had to be flown from the scene.

All I can say is that this was, so far, the single greatest event in my life. God does work in very mysterious ways! I've been there. You certainly don't have to buy into what I'm saying and I will say that I was already saved before my crash. My experience just made my relationship with God that much stronger and I really am glad for it!

One might say that having such an experience would have to be horrible and don't get me wrong, it was and still is. But I really can not express what happened. God indeed does have infinite wisdom that us as mere humans can not perceive, recognize or otherwise understand. We try at times to understand or give reasons why this or that happened, but its best to not be so foolish. Sometimes with stuff like this you just have to find out for yourself to really understand what I mean.

You did the right thing and I'm sure everyone here commends you for it. I'm very grateful for the folks that stopped to help me. I remember the couple that was directly behind us. They stopped and stayed at least until I left. I was the last to go and the rescue squad spent a good hour cutting me out. I know their last name was McCoy and I can't find em now. That gets hard at times! The guy stayed on my side of the truck and talked to me the whole time. His wife talked to my girlfriend until she left then she held my hand and talked to me too. They had some young kids because I remember seeing them looking out the back of their vehicle after they pulled around to the front of my truck. I'm really glad the guy hit me instead of them just for the kids!
Old 04-30-2008, 07:45 PM

You did what you could and made the decision to stop and be there when a person may have otherwise died alone. You did good.

Quick Reply: How God directs our paths-witnessed car fatality