Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Hairbrained Way to Add Weight To Truck

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope he got the concrete with the fiber in it for strength. Keep it from cracking when out doing some serious 4x4 ing.
Old 04-09-2004, 06:02 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally posted by Hoss
... and there will never be any flex...
Old 04-09-2004, 06:10 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Hmmmmm...... Your right Hoss, this is a little hairbrained. However, a couple recomendations for anyone following in your footsteps. Line the bed with plastic before pouring the concrete and pour it with a bunch of 1x4 partitions. Line-X is a textured surface, concrete will stick to plain paint and never come off. there will be a heck of a mess in that truck box when you take that slab out. I doubt the next owner wants a 3" slab in his box.... Will your service department be able to lift your truck on their hoist with that extra 1200 Lbs? I was having problems around here with an empty truck....
I'm not flaming you, just pointing out a couple things.....
Old 04-09-2004, 07:01 PM

Hoss, I think ya may have spent a few too many hours out in the Texas sun.....
Old 04-09-2004, 07:54 PM

Hey Hoss,

I heard that Ford owns Portland Cement.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by Nevada
Hey Hoss,

Hoss, ***?
Old 04-09-2004, 08:58 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by westcoaster
Hmmmmm...... Your right Hoss, this is a little hairbrained. However, a couple recomendations for anyone following in your footsteps. Line the bed with plastic before pouring the concrete and pour it with a bunch of 1x4 partitions. Line-X is a textured surface, concrete will stick to plain paint and never come off. there will be a heck of a mess in that truck box when you take that slab out. I doubt the next owner wants a 3" slab in his box.... Will your service department be able to lift your truck on their hoist with that extra 1200 Lbs? I was having problems around here with an empty truck....
I'm not flaming you, just pointing out a couple things.....
I wish you had been around when I started this project. I certainly wouldn't have gotten any help from the rest of the scallywags around here (who apparently think I'm joking...although I did like the picture of my truck and the pump truck).

I should have thought of that 1x4 idea. I tried to think of ways that I could do it that would allow me to take the concrete out later but I couldn't come up with any. Using 1x4 partitions would have been perfect. Anyway, I went with one monolithic pour. Since it's only three inches thick and has no reinforcing, I could probably bust it up with a sledge hammer if I ever wanted to take it out. As far as the next owner, I figured if I just painted it black like the Line-X on the sides then he'd probably never know the difference.

You know...I didn't even think about having the truck serviced. Oh well. I just hope I can find someone with a lift strong enough to lift it if I ever need to get it serviced.

I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow when it's light outside.

BTW...I ran across the CAT scales tonight when I filled up. With me, my wife, the 11 month old, a diaper bag, full tank of fuel, the Line-X and concrete it weighed 8,680 pounds....which is almost 1,300 pounds heavier than it weighed with the same load minus the Line-X and concrete a couple of weeks ago (so I guess my calculations were pretty close). I figure with the 9,900 pound GVWR I still have the same payload capacity as a 3/4 ton (or close to it).

Old 04-09-2004, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by Nevada
Hey Hoss,

Then it should work well with my Cummins (Cummins is owned by Ford for those who don't know).
Old 04-09-2004, 09:14 PM

Old 04-09-2004, 09:46 PM

Ya know, it might be easier to take that out by cutting some break lines about 1-2" deep w/ a circular saw w/ a diamond blade on it. Then you might have to jackhammer along the lines to break it. I'm not too sure you could get very far on a nice 3" slab w/ a sledgehammer.

Ya know what you could do is make a few boxes out of 2x4's about 12" square, lay them on the garage floor, lay some plastic over the top of them and pour your concrete. And then blamo, you have instantly removable flat heavy blocks!
Old 04-09-2004, 10:06 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
for those of you who don't know, never, NEVER under estimate the weight of a diaper bag....
where did you get the cement? Did you mix it?
Old 04-09-2004, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by welder27
Ya know, it might be easier to take that out by cutting some break lines about 1-2" deep w/ a circular saw w/ a diamond blade on it. Then you might have to jackhammer along the lines to break it. I'm not too sure you could get very far on a nice 3" slab w/ a sledgehammer.
I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:35 PM

Originally posted by westcoaster
for those of you who don't know, never, NEVER under estimate the weight of a diaper bag....
where did you get the cement? Did you mix it?
Hehehe....no kidding about that diaper bag!!

About the concrete....no, I'm too lazy to mix it. We were having some footings poured with 5,000 psi concrete for some columns on the project I'm on. Nine times out of ten the last truck has a couple of yards left over that they just dump out on the ground at the wash out area...so I waited. It took me a while to convince the driver of the truck that I was actually serious though. He reluctantly poured about a half a yard in for me before he washed out his truck and I put a nice broom finish on it.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:51 PM

Hoss, You have seriously got to be joking. What if you need to remove the bed? Anyhow you should've thrown some color hardner and release agent on it and gave it a nice stamp job.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:59 PM
Chapter President

Hoss, I want to thank you for the idea! I have been wondering how to get the tail of my new rig to run level... I thought about some of those over priced leveling kits. ADD two inches to the front suspension, HA!

Hoss, you the man! Now my truck will ride just like I always wanted...

Quick Reply: Hairbrained Way to Add Weight To Truck