Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Hairbrained Way to Add Weight To Truck

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 11:08 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just keep in mind that the GVWR of your 2500 is 8,800 lbs. If you put the same amount in your bed as I did mine then you're going to be right at your GVWR...leaving you VERY little payload capacity.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
guess he doesnt have to worry about scuffing up his Linex....
Old 04-09-2004, 11:16 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally posted by Hoss
We were having some footings poured with 5,000 psi concrete for some columns on the project I'm on.
your right, you won't have to worry about that stuff cracking... I would have to say your best bet is to sell the truck with the concrete in the bed and not even bother trying to take it out.
please tell me you at least lined your box with plastic first....
Old 04-09-2004, 11:25 PM

I don't believe it until I see it.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:28 PM
Banned

The thing that's scaring me is I don't think he's joking.

Hey Hoss, when you gonna update your signature? That's definately something most on this board have never seen.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:34 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What about the physics and payload dynamics of a frontal collision?
Now, I hope that Hoss (or any of us) never have to deal with a frontal collision, but if you have a slab of concrete in the bed of your truck when you go from 60 mph to 0 mph in 10 feet, what affects will that concrete have on the dynamics of the collision?
Im guessing it wouldnt be pretty.

Like I said, I hope none of us ever have to find out.

Im guessing Hoss is just putting us on... well, Im "hoping" Hoss is putting us on.

Rich.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:36 PM
Banned

I feel sorry for what ever he hits.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:47 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally posted by DieselDaze
What about the physics and payload dynamics of a frontal collision?
Now, I hope that Hoss (or any of us) never have to deal with a frontal collision, but if you have a slab of concrete in the bed of your truck when you go from 60 mph to 0 mph in 10 feet, what affects will that concrete have on the dynamics of the collision?
Im guessing it wouldnt be pretty.

Like I said, I hope none of us ever have to find out.

Im guessing Hoss is just putting us on... well, Im "hoping" Hoss is putting us on.

Rich.
I'm no engineer but I would guess if the slab was poured directly in the box on the line-x it would be pretty secure. I would say it will be pretty secure in a flip as well. If there was a release agent or a sheet of plastic under the slab it may fall out in a flip but I don't think it would go anywhere with a frontal.
If anything, Hoss may be more secure as there would be more mass to his truck than the other guy's....
Old 04-10-2004, 12:37 AM

I heard Jimmy Hoffa is in the bed of a powerstroke!!
Old 04-10-2004, 03:33 AM

So, you got tired of a "truck-like" ride, poured cement in the bed, and now it rides like a dream, eh? Did you run this by the engineers at College Station?

P.S. Don't let the skateboarders find your pick-em-up. I've heard that they are like fleas - can't get rid of em.
Old 04-10-2004, 07:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Now I have had 1600 lbs of concrete in my truck before, and yes, it rode better, and level. In my case though, the concrete was in bags, before mixing. This was a good thing because I could TAKE IT OUT when I wanted to.
Hoss, if you REALLLY did this, why didn't you just put something in there you could remove if needed?

Chris
Old 04-10-2004, 07:55 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally posted by Hoss
...It took me a while to convince the driver of the truck that I was actually serious though. He reluctantly poured about a half a yard in for me before he washed out his truck..
Sounds to me like the cement truck driver had some common sense. I'm still hoping this is a late April Fool's thread. I'm figuring the slab will start breaking up in a few months from the bed and frame flexing, then Hoss can call up Kelderman and get an air ride like he should have in the first place.
Old 04-10-2004, 08:41 AM

Hummmm I always thought ....... 16.5 cu ft X 150# = 2475# maybe it was 6" thick now that would be a nice ride
Old 04-10-2004, 08:54 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Hoss, when you need to remove it, just back down a boat launch into the water. The water will take away the effect of gravity, and you should be able to heft it right out of there. Just leave the slab at the end of the ramp. Some poor guy that backs in too far will appreciate having it there. Next time though, I would swiss cheese the bed first. The you would only need about an inch above and below the bed. The steel would reinforce it, not requiring as much concrete, saving you some payload capacity. No need to worry about it coming out in a crash either. You could then sawzall the bed rails and have a nice flat bed. If you pre plan, fab up some rebar into box shape for some under bed tool boxes. If your really worried about impact though, just fill your doors and front fender wells as well. A 5" tube filled up front would help too. You may even reduce your insurance coverage a bit.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:02 AM

I am bowing down to this one, Hoss is setting a record here And to think the guys I used to work with laughed at me when I put a telephone wire in the house using a 30-30 to bore the hole in the wall I was just 18 and have since moved on in the knowledge area, Goodluck,,,Rick

Quick Reply: Hairbrained Way to Add Weight To Truck