Hairbrained Way to Add Weight To Truck - Page 4 - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Go Back  Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums > Other / Non Diesel Related > Other
Reload this Page >

Hairbrained Way to Add Weight To Truck

Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Hairbrained Way to Add Weight To Truck

Old 04-10-2004, 10:33 AM

I took the idea and ran with it. Before I poured I built a form out of plywood in the shape of a tool box right behind the cab (reinforced with re-bar...it's like a safe!). Made a form on the shop floor for a lid. Now my truck rides great and level AND I have a secure place to store my stuff. The only trouble is the lid is so heavy it takes two guys to open it up. Thanks Hoss!
Old 04-10-2004, 10:54 AM
Urban Legend

Hoss, all ribbing aside. I donít think it was the best idea but that is your business. But I do have a question. When /if you pull a travel trailer or need to haul something heavy, what are you going to do then?
Old 04-10-2004, 11:01 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Originally posted by westcoaster
your right, you won't have to worry about that stuff cracking... I would have to say your best bet is to sell the truck with the concrete in the bed and not even bother trying to take it out.
please tell me you at least lined your box with plastic first....
I don't really have any intentions of taking it out. I see it as a good thing. I'll probably get more for the truck when I sale it down the road.
Old 04-10-2004, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by westcoaster
I'm no engineer but I would guess if the slab was poured directly in the box on the line-x it would be pretty secure. I would say it will be pretty secure in a flip as well. If there was a release agent or a sheet of plastic under the slab it may fall out in a flip but I don't think it would go anywhere with a frontal.
If anything, Hoss may be more secure as there would be more mass to his truck than the other guy's....
That's kind of what I was thinking too as there is no plastic between the concrete and the Line-X.
Old 04-10-2004, 11:04 AM

Originally posted by RS-TX
So, you got tired of a "truck-like" ride, poured cement in the bed, and now it rides like a dream, eh? Did you run this by the engineers at College Station?

P.S. Don't let the skateboarders find your pick-em-up. I've heard that they are like fleas - can't get rid of em.
Hey Rick...I failed to consult with the Aggie engineers.
Old 04-10-2004, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by Stamey
Now I have had 1600 lbs of concrete in my truck before, and yes, it rode better, and level. In my case though, the concrete was in bags, before mixing. This was a good thing because I could TAKE IT OUT when I wanted to.
Hoss, if you REALLLY did this, why didn't you just put something in there you could remove if needed?

Chris
I thought about it, but I didn't like the idea of having 80 pound bags of concrete flying through my back windshield if I was ever in a wreck.
Old 04-10-2004, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by propinc
Hummmm I always thought ....... 16.5 cu ft X 150# = 2475# maybe it was 6" thick now that would be a nice ride
You're right. I miscalculated. It's 3" thick...so it would be more like 8.75 cubic feet.
Old 04-10-2004, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by Redleg
Hoss, when you need to remove it, just back down a boat launch into the water. The water will take away the effect of gravity, and you should be able to heft it right out of there. Just leave the slab at the end of the ramp. Some poor guy that backs in too far will appreciate having it there. Next time though, I would swiss cheese the bed first. The you would only need about an inch above and below the bed. The steel would reinforce it, not requiring as much concrete, saving you some payload capacity. No need to worry about it coming out in a crash either. You could then sawzall the bed rails and have a nice flat bed. If you pre plan, fab up some rebar into box shape for some under bed tool boxes. If your really worried about impact though, just fill your doors and front fender wells as well. A 5" tube filled up front would help too. You may even reduce your insurance coverage a bit.
Tell me you're not serious. THAT is a REALLY hairbrained idea.
Old 04-10-2004, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by bigfoot
Hoss, all ribbing aside. I donít think it was the best idea but that is your business. But I do have a question. When /if you pull a travel trailer or need to haul something heavy, what are you going to do then?
I don't know....seemed like a pretty good idea to me. If I need to tow or haul something I'll do it just like I did before....I'll just be sure I'm not exceeding the ratings of the truck.
Old 04-10-2004, 12:10 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Psssst you guys want to hear what really happened? Hoss mentioned to the guys he needed to pave his driveway. He saw they were gonna dump the leftover load, so he had the guy fill his truck so he could take it home. He just didn't drive fast enuff.
Old 04-10-2004, 12:14 PM

Redleg, I think you are on to something.

Ed
Old 04-10-2004, 12:28 PM
Admin Team Leader

Hoss, you should consider pouring concrete on the cab floors of your truck. Get rid of that pesky dirt trapping carpet and make your truck hose out cleanable!

You can even sit in the seat and put your feet in the driving position so the flooring (concrete) molds itself perfectly to your feet, providing the kind of comfort even the big European manufacturers can not rival

The little one spills his juice on your floor, No problem! Hose it out! A handful of cheerios hits the deck, No problem! Hose it out!

Obviously the advantages here are too numerous to mention, I am certain you will see the great possibilities here

One other thing to consider as well, fill those tires with concrete, never have to worry about checking air pressure again! and talk about added traction Well I could go on and on here, but there are hundreds of ways to use all that left over concrete!

Concrete teething ring! cool and soothing to the touch
Old 04-10-2004, 01:59 PM

I haven't laughed this hard at a thread in a long while. Actually this isn't new technology, I think the Flintstones pioneered alot of these suggestions. I would like to suggest, why stop with just the slab? I would red head some hold downs in to the slab and put up a covered patio. Maybe some sod grass on the tailgate area would be nice to rest your feet on. Talk about the ultimate tailgating vehicle! The possibilities seem endless!!
Old 04-10-2004, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Seems like this was a plan with no CONCRETE evidence to support its theory, but I guess nothing is CAST IN STONE.

Who knows? It might be a ROCK SOLID idea, altho he might have been STONED when he thunk it up!

chaikwa.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:51 PM
Adminstrator-ess

I'm just hoping he's gonna log on Monday and tell us he was only yanking our chains.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hairbrained Way to Add Weight To Truck

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.