Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Good Bad or so so

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Bad or so so

Looking for input on a gun safe.Sams club $508.00,don't need electronic lock,just a decent basic storage thingie for weapons and ammo.Watcha think?
Old 07-17-2007, 09:39 PM
Muted User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
make sure its fire proof to the highest possible temperature.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:30 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Locate it against an exterior wall if at all possible and bolt it to the floor. The ext. wall will be cooler in a fire and bolting it to the floor helps in security and keeps it from falling over. My dad is positive his electronic lock will have a dead battery during the first real emergency. I run the combo to the first two numbers and know how I need to turn it in the dark to the final # to open it. I have trouble sleeping most of the time and frequently get up and practice getting it open in an instant. I am very efficient at this now. Three young'uns keep me from having any weapons outside of the safe for now. You've made an excellent choice in securing your firearms from theft and accidental misuse. I'm sure many law enforcement officers feel the same. Welcome to the site! Kurt
Old 07-17-2007, 11:56 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kurtaing
Locate it against an exterior wall if at all possible and bolt it to the floor. The ext. wall will be cooler in a fire and bolting it to the floor helps in security and keeps it from falling over. My dad is positive his electronic lock will have a dead battery during the first real emergency. I run the combo to the first two numbers and know how I need to turn it in the dark to the final # to open it. I have trouble sleeping most of the time and frequently get up and practice getting it open in an instant. I am very efficient at this now. Three young'uns keep me from having any weapons outside of the safe for now. You've made an excellent choice in securing your firearms from theft and accidental misuse. I'm sure many law enforcement officers feel the same. Welcome to the site! Kurt
Might sound crazy.. But it is just weird not having my gun with me 24/7 . I feel you, but don't have kids so my Sig is in the open.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by irocpractice
Looking for input on a gun safe.Sams club $508.00,don't need electronic lock,just a decent basic storage thingie for weapons and ammo.Watcha think?
We were looking at a nice one at bass proshops that was 380. Think it held 16 long guns + storage. Can't remember the fire specs on it... If you bolt it to the floor make sure to seal the bolts real well incase of a low flood in the house... Natural, broken pipe or whatever.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:54 AM
Muted User

mine stays within reaching distance at all times when im at home, and i live in the middle of no where.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:03 AM

Others will disagree I'm sure but fire rating means virtually nothing to me. Knew a guy who had the best fire rated gun safe that money could buy and all of his guns still were history because the fire department watched the house burn from 1/2 mile away because of all the ammo cooking off. The only place that could have survived that fire was a safe in the floor (what he went to with his new house) because even though the fire got hot enough for long enough to ruin all of his guns, there were spots where the carpet padding wasn't even melted (heat goes up).

IMO, get a safe to prevent unauthorized access and mount it in/under the floor.

Just my $0.02 worth
Old 07-18-2007, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gentlemen,gentlewomen and,the rest of you.Thank you for the info.
Kurtaing -this is going to be in the basement
JoeT.-we got no pro shops,not even a Cebelas
Logan-you don't really want to do that in this state,Good idea but no.
12 valve @ heart see above,gonna be in the basement.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:29 PM
Muted User

you must live in one of the communist states.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:46 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Always keep your weapons and clothes where you can find them in the dark. - Robert A Heinlein