Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

G P S ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 09:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question G P S ???

HI ALL

thinking about gettin a gps .

how do i know what to buy , garman ,tom-tom , magelin ??

magellon on sale now 89.00 ??? worth it ???

thank you !
Old 07-27-2010, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a garmin nuvi and it has been great.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a Magellan and a Garman. Both are good. Each has its own way of doing things. I run the Garman in the truck and the wife uses the Magellan in the Hemi D.

If you do alot of traveling or towing, consider the Garman 365T. Its is set up with truckers info such as truck stops, low bridge clearences etc. That will be my next one. I used a Tom Tom once and did not like it.

Some of the Magellan's can't be programed with Points of Interest. In other words you can't add any custom stuff to the unit. The 1200 Roadmate is one of them. All the Garman's can accept custom entries. There are web sites that you can get all kinds of stuff of them including red light camera locations. I have added 27,000+ items to my Garman.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:12 PM

Garmin is the most user friendly. I have two and love them.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:25 PM

I have had both megellan and garmin, now I have a tom tom, it is by far the easiest to use, think that is why they are in car rentals, it is also the most accurate, pretty easy to upgrade on the net, good luck on your choice, Oh ya also the cheapest is not always the best, my tom tom was regular $250 and I got it last winter I think at staples for $129 on sale.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:13 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I had a TomTom and just went back to in dash nav. Kenwood unit powered by Garmin. Garmin has a better, and more feature rich, user friendly system. IMHO.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a Garmin 350 and it is real user frienly. I have used it about 3 or 4 years with good luck. You can find recoditioned units on the internet at pretty good prices. Just type in reconditioned GPS units or you can check each type web site. LOL
Old 08-03-2010, 10:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
We have 2 Garmins and a Tom Tom in the family. Tot Tom is the more user friendy/mod-able one. The base garmin gets the job done and my Nuvi has built in traffic which is nice if you go through city areas.
All three will choose different routes though and sometimes they are just wierd in the way they direct you. We tried it on our over the river and through the woods trip the Xmas we got the kids theirs. Everyone had picked different voices and I'd swear the female voices were getting ****** when we didn't follow the route by the end of the trip I swore I never wanted to hear the word "recalculating" again EVER.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Comparison

Had a Magellan purchased in MD. It sometimes directed me around the block for no apparent reason. It died completely on the Dalton Hwy, AK. Fortunately, there wasn't any doubt as to which way to go.

Bought a Garmin in Anchorage for the return trip. It did things a bit differently, but has worked well.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:49 PM

I have had three Garmin and one Magellan. I like the Garmin Nuvi 265WT better than the more expensive Garmin Nuvi 1450 I have. It is just the right size for me to put in my pocket if I want to take it for a walk but big enough to see mounted in the truck.

And yes I have the Australian lady voice and sometimes just have to turn the sound off because she is sooo irritated with me. LOL
Old 08-03-2010, 08:39 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=Fiftygrit;2811166]tom tom it is also the most accurate,

What do you mean by most accurate?
Old 08-19-2010, 12:09 PM

I purchased a 5" 1450 Garmin nuvi for my 2004.5 one ton Laramie. I ordered the truck with factory GPS, but I find the Garmin units to be far superior to the clumsy, behind-the-tech-curve early factory units. Highly recomment the 5" Garmin for truck applications.

I mounted the unit on the dash with the use of a Proclip mount. Go to Proclip.com. Works GREAT!!

MD