Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

EPA looking to ban lead ammunition?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 05:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by graphitecumnz
again I reiterate... If there was an acceptable substitute for lead core bullets; i.e., mass producible, inexpensive, identical performance, etc, then the industry would already be using it. Just because something is being substituted in the plumbing industry doesn't make it acceptable in the ammunition industry.
I agree totally. Check the periodic table and try to find something denser, less expensive to produce, easier to work with, BETTER performing than lead as a projectile in ammunition or a sinker on your fishing line. There is a reason we have been "slingin lead" out of our weapons for hundreds of years. It just works and a "real" substitue has not come along. When someone comes up with a legitimate replacement, he'll make millions. I am not holding my breath.

Reminds me of replacing diesel fuel with a windmill. In a special application where cost is no object: yeah, maybe. Like if the government is in charge of the project. In the real world, I think we will be moving stuff with diesel fuel and shooting lead out of our barrels way past the end of my life.