Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

EPA looking to ban lead ammunition?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 04:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EPA looking to ban lead ammunition?

I have heard about this for a while, and know it has happened in California under the guise of protecting the Condor. If they make ammunition so expensive as to be prohibitive to shoot, why would you own a gun?

I shoot several thousand rounds a year in competition and build several thousand more benchrest bullets for my fellow target shooters. This will put an end to this and many other shooting sports.

Check out the thread. They decared CO2 a harmful greenhouse gas and we are going to be paying for that debacle for the rest of our life. If they ban lead in ammunition and fishing, what are you going to do about it?

http://www.regulations.gov/search/Re...ontentType=pdf
Old 08-26-2010, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Put the lead we still have to good use!!!!
Old 08-26-2010, 06:00 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Molōn labe!
Old 08-26-2010, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by RTillery
If they make ammunition so expensive as to be prohibitive to shoot, why would you own a gun?

I think that's prolly what they are going for.

I know they already ban lead bullets at many gun ranges. I own a set of molds, so as long as they dont ban wheel weights, i'm gonna continue usin em.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:07 PM

Looks like CAlifornia is becoming CAnada south! Lead shot and sinkers are already no-no's up here and have been for a few years now!
Old 08-26-2010, 06:27 PM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

Unfortunately you have to go a bit more south to get a proper description of CA. Namely Venezuela.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:19 PM

That Obama appointed Lisa Jackson of the EPA is a train wreck. How the EPA can impose taxes on your power generators (which is passed on to the consumer) is beyond belief. A government is supposed to levy the taxes not a non-elected Obama appointee. She is wrecking lots of things people are not aware of.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:47 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

I spend time in Northern CA every year. The proposal some years back, in the fine print, would have made your older ammo illegal. NRA helped block that one.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:56 PM

Can't let this fall out of the public eye... it's an obvious back door attempt to limit private use of firearms... they know they can't ban firearms; might as well eliminate inexpensive ammunition.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by graphitecumnz
Can't let this fall out of the public eye... it's an obvious back door attempt to limit private use of firearms... they know they can't ban firearms; might as well eliminate inexpensive ammunition.
I totally agree. It is pretty easy to cost over a buck a shot if you have to get away from lead as a projectile. Even if you reload. If you do not hunt, they are talking about target shooting too.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:19 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I have heard about this for a while, and know it has happened in California under the guise of protecting the Condor. If they make ammunition so expensive as to be prohibitive to shoot, why would you own a gun?

I shoot several thousand rounds a year in competition and build several thousand more benchrest bullets for my fellow target shooters. This will put an end to this and many other shooting sports.

Check out the thread. They decared CO2 a harmful greenhouse gas and we are going to be paying for that debacle for the rest of our life. If they ban lead in ammunition and fishing, what are you going to do about it?

http://www.regulations.gov/search/Re...ontentType=pdf
CO2 is a harmful gas, sure it occurs naturally, but it is kept in check by mother nature and at a certain percentage it is harmful just like any other gas.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:24 PM

I totally agree. It is pretty easy to cost over a buck a shot if you have to get away from lead as a projectile. Even if you reload. If you do not hunt, they are talking about target shooting too.
Way easy to go over a buck a cartridge if you buy factory hunting ammo... most of the better ammunition that is factory loaded today already costs in excess of $1/cartridge... I just looked at the local big box outdoor store and for a 20/count box of Hornady Superformance 139grain SST in .270Win, the price was $30... that's a lead core bullet. I've been shooting Accubonds in my .270 and the price for Federal Premium loaded with an Nosler Accubond is over $40 a box at a big box store... factory ammo is obviously expensive and will only get more expensive if everything has to be lead free. Reloaders will feel the pinch too.

Can't leave out what it will do to the price for trap/skeet/recreational shotgunning...
Old 08-27-2010, 06:33 PM

looks like the EPA saw an oncoming firestorm(no pun intended)...

http://politics.usnews.com/news/washington-whispers/articles/2010/08/27/epa-surrenders-to-nra-on-gun-control-issue-epa-rejects-attempt-to-regulate-lead-in-bullets-after-nra-protests.html
Old 08-27-2010, 10:13 PM

Wow, Pretty timely, I guess all the money We've given to the NRA over the years pays off again.

If we don't crank the pressure up on these mutts in Washington the only "rights" we will have left is our right hand out to get our ration of Soylent Green!
Old 08-28-2010, 07:20 AM

they will "regulate" gun control since they can't "legislate" it

same way with taxes

they will use administrative positions such as the EPA to bring us to our knees

look at all of the taxes in the healthcare bill, this is nothing different and a way to make congress irrevelant and they are too dumb to see what this administration is doing

alot of composite bullets will be classified as armor piercing and thus illegal (I'm not saying they are, that is how the gov't will classify them) so we'd just as well turn our guns into plow shears

Last edited by larrybartlett; 08-28-2010 at 07:21 AM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: EPA looking to ban lead ammunition?