Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

DIY Window Tint?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY Window Tint?

Tell me everything you guys know about do it yourself Window tint...I've heard it's not worth it because it will bubble and all sorts of stuff, but that was a long time ago...Is it better to just get them professionally tinted?
Old 03-20-2007, 05:44 PM

I watched them do it on my truck and it seems simple enough. The only reason I wouldn't is the warranty on the tint. If mine bubbles or gets discolored in any way they replace it for free.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:17 PM

about 25 years ago or so I used to do it for a living...

Do your self a favor and just pay someone to do it.. It isn't really that hard but it is tedious.. any speck of dust will show up as a bubble.. and if you screw up then you just spent the money you saved by doing it yourself...

There should be several shops around fighting for your business.. I think I paid $70.00 for the 4 side windows on mine.. I left the rear alone because it has the defroster in it..

Make sure they use a quality tint (3M etc..).. and don't get anything with a silver in it.. just a straight grey.. silver will just reflect your dash lights back at you and make it hard to see out...

Gerry
Old 03-20-2007, 06:29 PM

Thanks for the input guys, thats just what i wanted to hear
Old 03-20-2007, 08:15 PM

I agree with the guys above I paid $148 for my 2 sides and my rear window, money well spent, as I was very satisfied with the quality and workmanship.

I know I couldn't have done that good of job myself. It looked like a veryyy tedious job.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:23 PM
DTR College Boy and FUN SIZED!!!!!!!!!!

Like it has been already said, it ain't hard, just tedious. Get a good quality tint, as mentioned, and have a reputable place do it.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:18 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tinted my own windows in my old chevy I sold, and the Dodge I own now. The chevy I tinted them a year and a half ago, and it was just as good the day I sold it as it was when I did it. Just get a good tint from shucks or somewhere similar, I use Axius Metalized Coating 5% tint, in the charcoal gray color. It looks really good, not the blueish cheap stuff. And it cost me $8 to tint the whole back windows on my dodge, and it looks proffesional, and good tint will stick withouth bubbles for along time if you take ur time and get all the water/bubbles out from behind the tint as you install it.

It's really pretty simple, just clean the window with soap and water, then scrap the window with a razor to remove anything there might be, then clean it a couple more times to make sure theres no hairs or dirt on it. Then lay the film on the outside of the window and cut the film about a inch bigger on all sides with a razor. than spray the inside of the window wet, and peel the adhesive side off spraying it with the water/soap mix as you pull the film apart so it doesn't attract any hair or dirt etc. Spray the surrounding area so it dampens all the dust and hair. Then carefully lay the film on the window and I just use a credit card to squeegy out the water. Once the film is on the window you can take ur time to get all the water out with the credit card. Cut the film along the edge of the window so it looks good and keep squeeging out the water, wrap a paper towel around the credit card so as you push the water bubles out from under the tint it absorbs it once you reach the edge of the window. If it's hot out, just leave the tint to adhere by itself, if it's cold (don't tint when it's gonna be freezing out for the next 3 days) use a hairdryer to speed up the adhering process for about 5 minutes.

It only took about 2 hours. Hardest part for me is pulling the adhesive apart and getting it wet at the same time. It's pretty dark now, nice and private ride, I still have to tint the side windows, but the rear window was just a priority I wanted to get done. I'm not sure if I can do 5% on the side windows, i'll probably have to do 20 or 35% on the side to be legal