Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

different types of CDL's

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 03:22 PM
Mav

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
different types of CDL's

What are the different types and classes of cdl's stand for? What are the different letters represent? Whats the highest paying cdl license?
Old 12-23-2005, 03:27 PM
Banned

A drives prety myuch anything you want, but you still need endorsements for special items, all the way through the cdl's, tanker being one, that is for anything over 1000 gallons. B drives most but not the big rigs, C is for busses. Others will chime in but that is the basics
Old 12-23-2005, 03:32 PM

letters designate classification, based on GVWR, either single vehicle or combo (truck & trailer)
Old 12-23-2005, 03:42 PM
Mav

Ok well how does insurace work with big rig drivers driving for a company? Like lets say there driving and they wreck and total the cargo whos insurance pays for the damage, the company owner or the truck driver? What happens when its a company truck and what happens with the driver owning his own truck?
Old 12-23-2005, 04:41 PM

Class A: Any combination of vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicles being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Class B: Any single vehicle with the gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Class C: Any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of less Than 26,001 pounds or any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a gross weight not in excess of 10,000 pounds comprising:
1. Vehicles designed to transport 16 or more passengers including the driver; and

2. Vehicles used in the transportation of hazardous materials which the vehicle is to be placards under 49 CFR, Part 172, sub-part F.

Class C must have either passenger or hazardous material endorsement or both

Endorsements
F Motorcycle

H Hazardous Materials (retest renewal & transfer)

N Tank

P Passenger (road skills test required)

T Doubles / Triples

Restrictions
K Intrastate driving (driving in WV only)
(Under 21 driver or medical waiver)

L Restricts the driver to vehicles not equipped with air brakes

N Restricts the driver to buses 26,000 pounds and under (Class C buses)
Old 12-23-2005, 04:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mikmaze
A drives prety myuch anything you want, but you still need endorsements for special items, all the way through the cdl's, tanker being one, that is for anything over 1000 gallons. B drives most but not the big rigs, C is for busses. Others will chime in but that is the basics
This is what I know....
To carry passengers you need a "P" endorsement (16 or more passengers incuding driver). Here in wyoming I have a class "B" license (26,001 gvwr or more) w/ P endorsement so I can drive the college busses and our dump truck. I thought you had to have an endorsement for airbrakes but it's not listed on my license. For insurance I am covered by the college, I checked into this extensively before getting my license which they paid for. I wanted to be sure the college would be behind me if an accident did happen- my fault or not. I don't need a whole bunch of lawsuits. It's not my primary job but I like to drive even though I can have up to 60 lives in my hand and relying on me to keep the greasy side down.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:40 PM

If you are driving their truck they carry all insurance all the time.If you get hurt in the accident it is a mish mash of workers comp,their insurance and your insurance. the lawyers will have to figger that out.

if you have your own truck and your own operating authority you have to have all of the various insurances Primary,Bobtail/dead head,cargo, and physical damage it's your baby all the time.

if you have your own truck and are leased to a company they pay for primary and cargo but you still have to pay physical damage and bobtail/ deadhead.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:35 AM

If you have physical and bobtail and are leased to a company , most insurance companies will cancel coverage 5 days after lease termination . Be sure to notify the insurance company if you go to work for another company . I also prefer unladen liability to bobtail (non-trucking liability ) . You pay for unladen but it clearly covers you when empty . With bobtail their could be a dispute whether you were running empty on duty which bobtail wouldn't cover or off duty which bobtail would cover . I had bobtail when contracted pulling RV's but I was required to log on duty when deadheading . I was told the transport company considered deadhead not trucking and covered by bobtail . My company said on duty is not covered by bobtail .