Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Cheap batteries + damp are = runied MagLight

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Cheap batteries + damp area = runied MagLight

So I've never regretted buying "off brand" D-size batteries as much as tonight. I knew my red 3-cell MagLight in the truck has been dead for a while, so tonight I pull out the replacement batteries, unscrew the cap - uh-oh! White powder all over inside. I drop the batteries straight into the garbage - but only one; that is, the one that would come out. I pound, tap, almost try to pry out the other two - but no luck. They have welded themselves in there.

It really pained me to do it, but I threw out a one-year old MagLight tonight. Safety first, and with those acid laden batteries and their remains everywhere, even if I had gotten them out, the light probably would have been no good.

So...I suggest buy good batteries - and change them often. Don't do what I did!
Old 06-07-2007, 05:48 AM

Should have sent it back. Went swimming with one one time and the same thing happened to mine. Sent it back and they fixed it for free. They have a very good waranty.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:24 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have one of the four cells and one of the six cells. I change batteries about every three or four months for that very reason.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:25 AM

I was in Northern tool one day and walked around for about an hour and couldn't find anything to buy. Going out the door I spot the Mag lite display. I always wanted a good flash lite so I picked up a 2 cell black. Then for batteries. Just fine, they only have 4 cell packs. So what good are these?? Put 2 inthe flashlite and throw the other 2 in the map pocket. 4 mo later I need new batteries and the 2 "new" ones from the map pocket last about 1/2 hour. Looks like a marketing ploy to sell more batteries. Guess I should get a 4 cell instead.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by 74dart
Should have sent it back. Went swimming with one one time and the same thing happened to mine. Sent it back and they fixed it for free. They have a very good waranty.
Thought about that - but by the time I pay to ship it to them, I could buy another 3 - cell plus a mini with batteries at Sam's for around $18.00. I really hate to waste a good flashlight, however. Wonder if condensation built up inside the aluminum and created the corrosion situation? There are O-rings on both ends, so i don't see that as too likely?
Old 06-07-2007, 05:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Mag is definitley supposed to be waterproof but like you said you would spend more money to get it replaced than just buying a new one. The cheap batteries may have just leaked acid causing the problem. Duracells are worth the $$
Old 06-07-2007, 06:38 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

I had a switch go out on a 15 year old maglite. I sent it to the closest service center. they repaired the switch, replaced the switch cover, the spring, and replaced the bulb that had been used in the cap. Then they shipped it back to me at no charge.
Maglite, while inexpensive and unrespected among tactical users, has the greatest customer service I have ever seen.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:43 PM
wap

I have a 4D and a 6D that I cannot get the caps off of to change the batteries on. Not with vice grips or anything. I suspect the batteries are the culprit.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:05 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Send it back to them, they replaced a couple of them for me over the years at no charge. Like Fronty said, Maglight gets little respect any more from tactical users but finding better customer service would be difficult.

Personally I like a hefty flashlight/club in one hand and my 1911 in the other
Old 06-07-2007, 07:38 PM

Same great service here, let water get in, they replaced switch, everything, and bulb as a courtesy- no charge.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:12 PM

A little off topic but they have led insert bulbs for mag lights at walmart. They are super bright and give 4 times the battery life, its a nice upgrade. Now if i could find a snap in holder to mount in the cab that hold a 6 cell id be happy.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:31 PM

If you do opt to go down and buy another Mag, before you plunk your $$ down on an incandescent Mag model, check out their Mag LED models..
I have been pleasantly surprised at the light. You can also buy just the 3 watt LED modules that will also drop right into an existing incandescent Mag too! No special flashlight just to hold the LED lamp assy. I bought one and tucked the perfectly good Krypton bulb into the butt of the now LED flashlight.
I can stand in my yard with my 3D-cell LED Maglight, and put out the photocell on our street light!!! I couldn't do that with my incand. Mag.

The LED light has lots of the "blue-white" end of the spectrum, which if you are on the receiving end, is dazzling and makes it difficult to look into the direction of the beam. They are focusable like the incandescent models

THey also make 3watt LED 3AA flashlights that ARE only made to work with the included LED. (reflector is different shaped).
That one is one VERY handy and as bright as, but less focused as the big Mags.

OK, your batteries,... Could one have been accidentally "reversed" in the barrel? That'll grossly overcharge the one reversed making it gas-off and the cheaper one's leak badly. Probably not, since the light would have been noticeably dimmer.

Likely, (what usually happens at my house,) the Mag stands on it's head on my bedside table, and if it gets "borrowed" and got accidentally left "on" with the head face-down, nobody notices the glow while the batteries go flat... I haven't left mine in that condition for a real long period of time, nor in a hot location like my truck.
But I haven't had any leakage problems from the batts we use.. (whatever Sam's Club sells in bulk, which are either Duracell Copper-tops, or ENERGIZER Bunny brand depending on their sourcing whims.)

BTW, RadioShack batteries are only good for throwing at Seagulls & Grackles.

K.

EDIT: Looks like LOCH beat me to it while I typed too long...
Old 06-07-2007, 09:03 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by loch
A little off topic but they have led insert bulbs for mag lights at walmart. They are super bright and give 4 times the battery life, its a nice upgrade. Now if i could find a snap in holder to mount in the cab that hold a 6 cell id be happy.
Ace Hardware, Sears, and other non-wally world retailers will usually have the clips.
Check mag-lite.com they have links to retailers that you can check locally for the clips or order them directly from maglite.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:53 PM

thanks Fronty, I only looked at local wally world. Rattler i'm pretty quick for just one finger , but your right in every way, i love led in mine.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:01 PM

Well - with all the discussion on how good customer service on these really is, I began feeling bad for my little red maglite. So I went and found that thankfully they had not hauled away our dumpster yet, so I drug it out of the dumpster. It's not even scratched yet! Went to maglite.com and found instructions to ship it to a service center in Iowa. Hopefully it'll be back in good working order soon. Anyone else seeking service - check thier website, they have a really simple return & repair policy.

Also, I did pick up a new (non-led) unit at Sams' with 3-D Energizer batteries, plus a Mini-mag with 2 Energizer AA's, for $19.95. The kit even includes the clips that have been discussed here! I may try a drop-in LED attachment with this one. An LED unit at Lowe's was almost $40, very nice but a bit too much for me.

Quick Reply: Cheap batteries + damp are = runied MagLight