Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

cb radios

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cb radios

I'm wanting to put a cb radio in my 01. I want a Cobra cb w/ 24 hr. weather on a wunder mounting bracket and dual firestick antennas off the front of the bed which cb and antennas should i get. Does anybody have a set up like that and what did the whole set up cost? I'm also looking for a list of parts needed for hooking everything up. thanks!
Old 06-02-2006, 05:57 PM

OK to make a long story short, your best bet is to go to a C.B. forum (I recommend TheQuackShack.com) There are alot of opinions here and I believe there are even a couple of decent techs, however most of the reply's you'll get are all going to be opinion laden and emotionally biased (ie.. I've been running {insert favorite brand here} for years and they are the best) Radios are like power for your rig; how fast do you want to go? In my opinion don't waste your time with the new cobras and I would'nt even begin to consider firestick brand antenna. PM me if you want to know why here or at the before mentioned link.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:21 AM

I'm running the Cobra 29 series with weather. Bought the radio from Amazon. I bought my accessories from www.claysradioshop.com. Had the radio tuned by a local shop. When researching many seemed very upset I was interested in a radio w/weather. I think the naysayers considered it an abomination. If you truly want long range think Ham radio. The CB is great for short range communication.

There are a few antennas that are not compatible with weather. I think most or all fiberglass whips will be ok. I found a few of the antennas with a base/metal antenna won't work with weather.

Old 06-03-2006, 01:15 AM
Banned

I'm running a radio shack knock off of the cobra 40ch with weather and dual firesticks at the front of the bed next to the stacks. Farthest I've gotten is 8 miles. I normally get 1 or 2 miles which is plenty to spot the local smokey's and traffic.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:46 AM

I agree with CSAGrey1, don't wast your time with the cobra...less of course all you are using it for is weather. There are many good brands for less than $200. If you are stuck on the cobras do get a good antenna. I like the Wilson, yes opinion, but you will get that anywhere. Drill a hole in the roof and get a Wilson bottom load antenna and you will never need another.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:52 PM

I hate the Cobra 18 or 19 radios. The 25s are OK. The 29 is the best Cobra line, I think. Has been that way for me, anyhow. Make sure to not go cheap. You get what you pay for. Most anything under $90 that I have used, was less than desireable.

Make sure it has RF gain, mic gain switches. I bought a 25 w/weather, and it doesn't have a RF gain switch. Have to run with the squelch turned almost all of the way up to get rid of background noise.

Barjan are so-so antennas. The k40 antennas I have used, have worked the best. Have heard great things about the Wilson antennas, but never used one.

My favorite, is my Magnum S6. Plenty of talk power for me, and very clear audio. More than what most want/need.

I get some of my stuff from www.walcottcb.com

This ought to work good for you.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:26 AM

thanks for the input, i ordered a Uniden 78 elite radio and 2 K40 antennas. can't wait to get it and try it out
Old 06-05-2006, 03:47 PM

Just a suggestion, Unless you plan on pulling a camptrailer or something that is going to interfear with the driection of your antenna, I recommend only hooking one to the radio and using the other purely for astetics.