Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Black powder rifles and guns

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 10:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Black powder rifles and guns

I was looking into these. Any info or suggestions would be nice. I have shot a .45 muzzle-loader, homemade by a blacksmith Very nice. Also what about hunting with these? In IL, I think someone told me, it is ok to shoot black-powder rifles while hunting.

I would like something to be fun to shoot and hunt with. Call me old-style but I like those ways.

Another thing, what about getting powder and shot?

I dont know much about blackpowder and muzzle-loading. But I love challenges.

Jon
Old 05-14-2007, 11:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dieseljon

In PA we have a specific Black Power season which extends our deer season.
We also have a Flintlock only Season for Deer, Minimum 50 Caliber Round Ball.
I hunt both seasons using a rifle in rifle season and a Flintlock in Black Powder Season.
It's a different hunt than with a rifle where speed of impact and mushrooming
can put the Deer on the ground immediately, the round ball moves a lot slower and you have go for a vital organ shot as you do not have the bone crushing ability of a rifle. It's more like shoot straight and wait till they bleed out, the last one I got only went about 50 yards
If you can get to Pennsylvania in late July check out Dixon Muzzleoaders
"Gun Makers Fair", they have seminars that would give you all the info you could handle and more.
Black Powder and Lead Shot are readily available around here, i don't know about IL

Check out their website @ dixonmuzzleloading.com
Old 05-14-2007, 11:17 AM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
There's a few good Blackpowder Rifle/Shooting magazines out there. Very informative and helpful and full of useful info. Powder and bullets are everywhere outside the cities! Primedia's publications are very well written and no sex ads. You don't have to worry about your kids looking thru it if this is an issue. Kurt
Old 05-14-2007, 11:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kurtaing
Primedia's publications are very well written and no sex ads. You don't have to worry about your kids looking thru it if this is an issue. Kurt
Thank you Kurt! I don't have kids (19 y/o) but I do have a Mom and Dad, not to mention 10 younger sibs!

Thanks you FOXY005. No I can't make it out to PA. I have a apprenticeship to go through at that time and a wedding in MN.

Jon
Old 05-14-2007, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i hunted for years with a Thompson Center Hawken with octagonal barrel in .54cal. I loved it.... Not much time to hunt with it lately as I spend my few hours in field with a longbow or recurve mostly....

not sure where you are but if in east coast area and interested i might be willing to part with my smokepole. Suede fringed case, lace on sling, lots of extras. I still get her out once or twice a year to shoot hogs or a deer but not like before as my time in woods is greatly reduced and tend to find myself carrying a bow or maybe my SBH Hunter in .45LC on my hip instead....
Old 05-14-2007, 02:37 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We have sprecial times and hunts also. Usually puts you into the tail end the rut, and into some good migratory patterns. They are usually successful hunts.