Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

David Spade Buys High-Powered Rifles for Local Police Department

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 06:47 PM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
David Spade Buys High-Powered Rifles for Local Police Department

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,471244,00.html

I like Him more than ever now.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:03 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Yeah, and they used the money to buy AR-15's... I'd bought something with a little more kick. (I'm not a fan of the 5.56...)

Good on him. Maybe we need to start doing that in our local communities.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:13 PM
DTR'S Chaplain

5.56 is better than a 9mm carbine or something but BARs would have been better
Old 12-23-2008, 09:30 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is a wonderful thing for him to do. Might be responsible for saving some of the good guys lifes.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:33 PM
DTR Mom

Red face

or his own...ya know...cause he is David Spade....

actually, probably stupid politics that prevented the purchase request.

and agree- like him even more! heck, I even like T Rad now!
Old 12-24-2008, 03:39 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Before the L.A. bank robbery/shoot out, there were 3 agencies (not counting feds) in the country that qualified with and carried rifles on duty. I'm glad they even went with 5.56 at least.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:28 AM

Redleg what are you saying????

It's funny how when a police dept gets a AR15 it's a high powered rifle. If a bad guy or suspected bad guy had one it would be an assult rifle.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:53 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Somebody was downgrading the effectiveness of the 5.56. I'm saying I'm glad to see them getting ANY rifle, if even 5.56. How many guys did LAPD lose before they commandeered AR-15's to compete with the AK's and body armor the robbers were useing? If they had a rifle in the trunk while on patrol, it most likely would've been over much sooner. For those that don't like 5.56, my dept did some test firing useing 7 standard bulletproof vests, with a heavy phone book between each vest layer, front and back included. Each round went through all without looking back. 9mm and 45 cal pistols did not penetrate the first layer. There aare many, worse ways for David Spade to spend that money. I'm glad he's investing in his hometown.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:44 AM

Unless you have a trauma plate (Small Arms Protective Insert) a 5.56 or .223 Rem (there is a difference) will penetrate. Kevlar vests work by spreading out the impact. Pointed high velocity bullets counter that by having a very small impact zone and high velocity. One good reason to use 5.56 vs 7.62 (.308 WIN, again slightly different but either will function in the other chamber) is overpenetration of .308 in houses. A 5.56 bullet will yaw after going thru a few layers of sheetrock. If it hits brick after that, it will probably disintegrate. If it hits a bunch of paper after getting sideways, it won't go much more than 6-8 inches in paper. That's at close range. I've seen a 55 grainer go thru a composite door (at about 10 feet), a two to four inch air gap, one layer of sheetrock, a 4 inch gap, keyhole thru the other layer of sheetrock, cross about a 6 inch air gap, continue to go sideways thru a 3/4 inch sheet of furniture grade particleboard, burrow thru a day planner from bottom to top, and embed itself in pieces about 6 inches up and in the nylon cover's thin inner shell. I don't know where a true high-powered rifle would've ended up, but it would've gone thru more, I'm guessing.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:27 AM

The LAPD did not at any time use a 5.56/.223 or any type of AR variant to stop the No Hollywood bank robbery.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:54 PM

I am glad they got some heavier fire power. I am sure that AR-15 were probably their first choice since they are pretty common, bullets wont go as far, etc. However (and though i carry a m4 and have a ar15 to stay proficient with) i would mutch perfer a larger round.

RamPB331, remind me what the difference is between 5.56 and .223. I know they are interchangable or atleast i thought they were. That worries me know because i feed either one through both my AR15 (5.56) and my Savage (223). Thanks
Old 12-27-2008, 01:04 PM
DTR'S Chaplain

Same Same 223Civilian 5.56 Nato Mil
Old 12-27-2008, 03:06 PM

The NATO 556 is just a little different than 223. The chambering is not the same. Yes either rounds will chamber in either gun but a 556 in a gun chambered for 223 will have more pressure.
I think it is 223 Wylde chamber that is safe for 556.

I'm not sure this is exactly correct somebody else can chime in or I you can look else where for the answer.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:36 AM

I found this in a search on google. However i am hesitant to post it since i am not sure about the actual site. But here it is http://www.stormfront.org/forum/showthread.php?t=144981 MODERATERS PLEASE DELEATE IF THIS IS BAD.

I know I've mentioned this a time or two in other threads, but I wanted to bring it up again after a conversation with an acquaintance of mine over the weekend.

Contrary to popular belief, 5.56mm is NOT another name for the .223 round, as opposed to 7.62x51 being the same as .308 NATO. The 5.56 round was designed after the common sporting round, but has two slight, although important, differences. Both are minor, but enough to cause some major if not deadly problems if you put 5.56 into a .223 chamber. .223 may be fired in a 5.56 chamber however. Here are the reasons why:

1) The 5.56 round has a length .002 longer than the .223 round.
2) The 5.56 round has a slightly steeper shoulder angle.

What this all boils down to, is that unless your .223 is specifically chambered in 5.56 to accomadate the military ammunition, you run the risk of blowing the gun up in your face. Colt and Bushmaster chamber ALL their .223 in 5.56. A few other companies chamber their AR15s in 5.56 as well. The big danger is in using 5.56 in bolt action rifles or the Ruger Mini 14, OR AR15s manufactured by some of the lesser known companies, particularly those that are not mil-spec or defense contractors.

While a great majority of dealers and even gunsmiths will assure you they are the same round, they are not! This is exactly why certain firearms manuals SPECIFY NOT to use military ammunition in their rifles! They know! The combination of a slightly longer casing and steeper angle on the shoulder of the 5.56 round, can cause the bolt to not completely close and lock. It's the equivalant of placing a .22LR into a .22L.

Many people purchase 5.56 because it is cheaper than .223, but unless your gun is chambered for that specific round, please do not use it! It's not worth the possibilty of the bolt not closing completely before the rifle fires. If that happens, you will lose an eye, a hand, or even your life. Play it safe! Only fire what your manual recommends.

Rob
Old 12-28-2008, 04:40 AM

I would image that with most modern rifles this isnt a problem though since they are made to hold hire pressure. But maybe an issue with older ones.

But back to the actual thread. I am glad that the police got some decent weapons, i would absolutly refuse to cross the wire if the Army had me going out on patrol with out some kind of rifle and only a side arm, so my hat is off to the police that go on potrol without some heavier weaponary then a side arm.

ROb

Quick Reply: David Spade Buys High-Powered Rifles for Local Police Department