Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Anyone do tractor/dozer work on the side?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone do tractor/dozer work on the side?

I'm thinking of ways to make some spare cash and I've got a little 450 Case dozer and a small Ford tractor. Does anyone know how I could go about putting these to work. I know a couple home builders and a guy who owns a company that does larger scale jobs, what would be a good way to approach them?

I inherited this stuff and it's in pretty good shape. I also have a small dump truck, like 8yds. If I were to get serious I'd probably buy a backhoe.

Feel free to discuss. I hate working in an office btw which is what I currently do.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Not sure where you are in Tejas but I cant imagine not being able to keep your equipment busy if nothing else use the dozer to do road work for oilfield companies once you get in buy a bigger dozer and start building well sites etc... at that point get the backhoe and a few hands viola you have a roustabout service.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:37 PM
DTR question asker

I will subscribe to this thread. I have a little tractor (Yanmar 1401D) and I would LIKE to get some small jobs going like bush hogging someones small pasture or more dirt moving and stuff if I got a FEL for it, but right now I don't have a loader... or even a trailer for that matter. And I don't really have the time either .

Anyway, I don't know much about running a side business or anything, but I can think of plenty of jobs that you could do with your equipment.

Depending on what attachments you have for your tractor this list will vary. I will at least assume you have a bush hog. If you can get a FEL and a backhoe for your tractor too that would come in handy and widen the variety of projects that you could do a lot.

Some stuff that comes to mind is:
  • Bush hogging fields/pastures
  • Spreading dirt
  • Foundation work
  • Small ponds (backhoe would work better for this)
  • Larger ponds (shaping the ground with your dozer)
  • Clearing out land
I think you are on the right track about approaching some of the bigger guys. Maybe they could contract out some of the smaller jobs that they get to you. That way they can continue to do the big jobs but also get their name out to people who would like smaller work done that the big equipment would be TOO big for.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by tbarbee1
Not sure where you are in Tejas but I cant imagine not being able to keep your equipment busy if nothing else use the dozer to do road work for oilfield companies once you get in buy a bigger dozer and start building well sites etc... at that point get the backhoe and a few hands viola you have a roustabout service.
East montogomery county is where the stuff is at, but all over houston really since I work south of houston for a hospital . I should have been an engineer instead of accountant/finance analyst.

Anyway, i like the way you think.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:15 PM
Banned

i work with a guy that lives in east moco and he does dozer work on the side and just bought a back-hoe to dig out stumps. he usually stays pretty busy clearing lots and building pads. you will need to be pretty proficient on the thing if you want to be sucessful. a dozer isnt something you can just jump on and have good results...

pm me some info and ill talk to him and see if he knows some people to put you in contact with

brett
Old 11-01-2007, 09:37 PM

Advertise in Craigs List. I do dirt work for a living. I get more business than I can handle from Craigs List and even more business from the referrals from the Craig List customers. I am assuming you have your own transport for the dozer??
Old 11-01-2007, 11:25 PM
Banned

he better get a dually depending on the size of the dozer...there is a weight station in the area and they are not very understanding...youll also need a cdl. i think this would be a good thing to do on the side/weekends but not full-time until you know exactly what your getting into. remember all that rain we got this summer...that dozer sat for a long time! if it aint movin it aint making any money

brett
Old 11-02-2007, 11:18 AM

When you play in dirt there is more to it then meets the eye. Better check into insurance to cover liabilities. Learn all about calling in locates. One mistake can cost you dearly!!

Even a small mistake...... I called for locates, dug 4 days latter. Got a call day after the dig from the phone company. I severed 5 lines to local residences. They had their contract crew come in an make the repairs. Bill was $1250. I charged $300 for my work! Better off getting hired on as the repair crew. Then the damage is already done and you get paid better.

Well, I didn't have to pay because the error was on the locate company.

I was talking to a guy who was installing fence. He called for locates. He was digging post holes within a few inches of the marks!!!! I suggested to him he better find out what the marks indicate and where his liability begins.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:51 AM

My dad does this on the side. He's got a 580 Case backhoe and an 850 Case dozer. He can haul either one of them with a dual tandem gooseneck and his '98 12 valve. I think he charges $70-$80 per hour. You can make pretty decent money if you work close to home and steer clear of the ultilities.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:56 AM

If you stay local and dont take a job that is biting off more than you can chew, you'll be fine. Im saving up for a mid size skid loader to do some work on the side around town. I work for a used equip dealer/auction so i can get stuff DIRT cheap, no pun intended.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:38 PM

I run a dozer for a living and I will tell you it looks really easy if you watch someone who knows what they are doing. It took me about 2 years to get to the point where I could do a job and the boss would know it was done to his standards. You also need to figure in repairs, fuel and things like that. On an older machine you will start to run into mechanical parts failures and oil leaks especially if the machine hasn't been used on a regular basis. If I were you I'd sell the dozer and maybe buy a decent shredder. Depending on the size of your tractor you could haul the tractor and shredder on a lowboy trailer without needing a dually. Shredding to me would be an easier side business to get into. My Dad is looking for a small dump truck if you are interested in getting rid of it let me know. Bruce
Old 11-04-2007, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by West Coast
Advertise in Craigs List. I do dirt work for a living. I get more business than I can handle from Craigs List and even more business from the referrals from the Craig List customers. I am assuming you have your own transport for the dozer??
Great, I never thought of that. I need a trailer, the dozer weighs like 12000lbs.

Think my truck will do it? Because now I'm wishing I would have got a DRW .
Old 11-04-2007, 10:13 PM

Bruce,

I might be interested in getting rid of the dumptruck. And you are right about equipement sitting up this dozer is going to need some work and it might be better just to get it running and get rid of it to buy something else.

I like your shredder idea for me that might work better. Those are mounted on skidsteers correct?
Old 11-04-2007, 10:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rednecktastic
Great, I never thought of that. I need a trailer, the dozer weighs like 12000lbs.

Think my truck will do it. Because now I'm wishing I would have got a DRW .
im sure your truck can handle it, but youll need a cdl and a commercial inspection. also you will need to get weighed at the scales and you will be over...not to rain on the parade, but unless your experienced on the machine you might look into leasing it out to someone and just setting back and collecting a check!

brett
Old 11-04-2007, 10:19 PM

Yeah I know where the weigh station is... I also know how to travel 75 up instead through New Waverly .

Quick Reply: Anyone do tractor/dozer work on the side?