Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Anybody ride Mountain Bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody ride Mountain Bikes?

I did the dirty and bought a Wally World bike. Its a Mongoose XR200. I had a Schwinn Mesa back in the day and it was a good bike but paid $400 for it. I got this one for $189 and its full suspension. I know the components will fail and will need to be replaced but will have gotten my moneys worth out of them. Im curious if anyone on here rides and what they think. You can check specs of the bike online so I dont have to list them. It gets mixed reviews on the bike forums, but since my riding is mostly with the wife and kids, I figured it was a good buy. Thanks.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:00 AM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

Don't see why there would be a problem. When I lived in Denver I got mine from Target. Rode it with the wife and boys till the tires were bald. I think they are just like most things. If you take care of them and don't beat on them, it should last for some time. Biggest problem I had with mine was flat tires. Finally got tire liners and filled the tubes with slime. never had an issue after that. ENJOY!!!!
Old 11-08-2009, 03:39 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

I use to ride big time. If you plan on using it alot and leaving pavement, you may want to reconsider. I'm not trying to be be harsh, but if you plan on more than casual riding, you'll be happier getting something that will do what you ask, when you ask and be comfortable doing it. Full suspension isn't real necessary unless you plan alot of rough, downhill riding. The money spent on the rear, could be useed for other upgrades. Lesser, rear suspensions can rob you of performance on uphill climbs.

On edit, after the health mandate passed, wondering if Daniel Defense makes a handlebar mount? Code Blue?
Old 11-08-2009, 10:30 AM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

I haven't ridden regularly since college.
I had one of the wallyworld that was about $100 after I pointed the dents and scratches to the manager on duty. I rode the same places as the guys on $1000 specialized full suspension bikes. Only difference was mine was about twice the weight.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:59 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought two "Scorpions" from Wally World for about $200.00 ea 10 years ago. Still going strong......had them tuned up at a bike shop for about $100.00 2 years ago......good bikes for moderate level riding. They won't compare to a $2500.00 Teck though.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:42 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I don't mean to be harsh, but I think you would have been better off getting a decent used mtn bike.

The GF bought a Wally bike when she wanted to ride a bit with me. The thing was amazingly heavy, yet somehow really flexy when you power down on it. The suspension, brakes, and drivetrain all performed badly, and the seat was super-uncomfortable.

Eventually the thing ground to a halt. I thought the front brake was dragging, but it turned out the front hub had locked up. One of the ball bearings had literally split.

Anyway, I realize not everyone wants to spend thousands on a really nice bike, but I snagged her a $500 used dual suspension quality bike which is night and day different in quality.

I think a lot of people who are considering entering the sport go inexpensive, and those bikes are not pleasant to ride, so those folks get out of the sport.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:21 PM

Im going to the LBS in the morning to look around. We will see how that goes.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:00 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Also worth considering, tis the season you might be able to get a great deal on a rental or demo bike.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:46 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

dunno about oregon, but biking season doesn't start here till the first frost unless you wanna sweat your tail off.

I agree, the walmart bikes are heavy and will have problems.
Every part I have replaced was due to trail damage.

The bike is heavier, but I look as it as a better workout. Racing, I would like a lighter bike, but recreational, the weight is just more of a workout.

One word of caution. items like crank set and head set may not be the same size as the high end bikes. so you may not be able to replace them as readily.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Txwelder
Im going to the LBS in the morning to look around. We will see how that goes.
Used was a good suggestion, might have to replace a head-set or a few spokes and brake pads. Another option would be to get an entry level name brand. The frame will last you and as you wear out parts or build on the hobby, you can upgrade individual components as your budget allows. Another consideration is the more expensive bikes have toupher brakes and chain, which means more safety. I had a friend in germany (big fella) that was using a cheaper seat post on a well known bike. One Sunday in the middle of nowhere, the seat broke off the post and literally tore open his *******. Had to get an ambulance and get him stitch up. He was pretty miserable waiting there. Make sure you get a post made in one piece. No welds.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:17 PM

Oddly enough, I have found some pretty decent bikes in the local pawn shops. They are usually negotiable on the price ....

Sumthin to think about ...

Cheers,
PISTOL
Old 11-08-2009, 08:16 PM

Well Im off tomorrow so I will do some looking around. The Wally World bike has been returned. Wish I would have kept the schwinn. Paid like $400 for it and sold it for $75 after less than 50 miles of riding. The next one wont be the same.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:38 PM

Maybe search some bike forum classifieds too? Lot of unemployed people out there.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:11 AM

As others have stated, it's nearly always better to get a used "bike store" bike that's been taken care of than a new one from a department store. But let me say this first...I would far rather that a person buy a Murray and ride it...than buy a $1500 bike that sits around, unused, all the time. Having a nice bike does not get you in shape. Using what you have does that.

True enough, for tooling around with the family in the area or on a bike path, a Huffy or Murry will work just fine. So will a $20 Tool Craft drill from Menards, if I'm just putting up picture frames of taking 3 sheets of drywall up in a bathroom.

Whe it comes to more rugged use or using it frequently, I'll skip the cheap drill and use a high-end Cordless unit. Same with a bike. Those heavy units from Wal-mart may not be anywhere near as strong as thier 1/2 of even 1/3 the weight conterparts selling out of a local bicycle shop. (Weight does not equal stength, as a good materials scientist will inform you.) Plus, you'll recieve actual service, and with any luck, talk to a sales person who will fit the bike to you (very important) and insure that you know it thoroughly before you take it home.

But...set a firm top-end price and stick to it. It's easy to loose your head in a place like that and buy a lot more bike than you need. Ask me how I know...
Old 11-09-2009, 12:22 AM

Check out the links and reviews on Forge bikes. $425 for a full suspension bike. Only problem is you cant ride it before you buy it. When my DB is no longer adequate i'm going to give them a try. I have a Mongoose XR250 also, and even my entry level DB is a way better bike.
http://www.forgebikes.com/saw7.asp
http://www.target.com/gp/browse.html...node=125446011

Quick Reply: Anybody ride Mountain Bikes?