Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Anderson, SC

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 03:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Anderson, SC

Anyone live in Anderson County, SC? I'd like to know what you think of the area, and whatever you can tell me about the county.

Wasn't sure what chapter forum this belonged in.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You may want to post this question in the SC Chapter. I'm a lot closer to SC than you are but can't give you any specific info for Anderson County. What part of SC is it, I may be able to give you general information since I travel in different areas around here.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:10 AM

I used to live in Greenville SC about 30 miles from Anderson. It's not a bad place other than learning another new language...Carolina.ese. Also being a Yankee and a northeastern one to boot may bring you to the brunt of humor occasionally....well often is more like it.

You will need to get used to Carolineans with 2 first names. Billy Joe is popular. You will need to learn local history for directions as few people use maps...."ya go dawn dat thare road to Joe's gas station (gone 20 years ago) an' bear offta da lef' a bit an' than ya go dawn Shoal Creek road (no sign...everyone knows the road. It's the middle road in the 4 way intersection.) an' ya go 'bout a mile or so ( 5 is more like it) to the haller an' the truck stop is jus' up the big ole hill on da right."

Old 04-08-2008, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by bentwings
I used to live in Greenville SC about 30 miles from Anderson. It's not a bad place other than learning another new language...Carolina.ese. Also being a Yankee and a northeastern one to boot may bring you to the brunt of humor occasionally....well often is more like it.

You will need to get used to Carolineans with 2 first names. Billy Joe is popular. You will need to learn local history for directions as few people use maps...."ya go dawn dat thare road to Joe's gas station (gone 20 years ago) an' bear offta da lef' a bit an' than ya go dawn Shoal Creek road (no sign...everyone knows the road. It's the middle road in the 4 way intersection.) an' ya go 'bout a mile or so ( 5 is more like it) to the haller an' the truck stop is jus' up the big ole hill on da right."

Hey my daughter is named Esther-Mae we just call her Essie-Mae and it is sale barn rd the sale barn was torn down 30 years ago but we still call it that.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:06 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i'm grew in Shelby, where Dart lives, and went to high school (Crest) in Shelby, which is just north of Greenville a bit.

i DO KNOW where Sale Barn road is!

we have lived in Charleston since late '04

SC had the lowest SAT Scores in the nation a few years back, and Charleston had the most physical assaults in the nation last month, but we ranked #4 nationwide due to some obscurity.

it's really hard to come to a place and live where the people are lifeless and have no dreams, no desires, and don't want to 'better' themselves

assume you are thinking about the BMW plant.
there has to be pockets of wealth and affluence around there,

but you still have to go the store sometimes.

i would take an extended vacation down there, before i moved.
it's a cultural shock.

we were in Georgia (ex military) and all over before here, SC has it's own
problems. it's not just being southern. it's just nasty.
the restaurants are nasty, the bathrooms are filthy.
it's different when people have no desire to improve them self.

YMMV, and i hope it will.
i just want you to come in wide-eyed and knowing.

the exorbitant taxes in New England can more than make up for most of this.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:12 PM

I know a few people who work at the BMW plant and if that is what you looking into they all like it there. Also if a job at BMW is what your after you can move into the upstate SC or even into NC. COme join us in shelby it is a great place to live. I am a little biased. I left after school and moved to Boston Ma for 3 years and lived it but when I got out I came back. Now the only other place I would like to live right now is the Moutians Of West Virgina.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'll have no problem getting used to the accents, been all over the country, every single state in fact (except HI and AK)... and I'm not a yankee; not from New England and can't wait to leave. And, my daughter has a two-part first name too.

I just viewed the DTR chapter map I found in a search posted by dodgezilla, but it's a little outdated I think. Couldn't find a SC chapter, but found 2 NC chapters. So, rather than repost this three or more times in various NC and GA chapters, I'll stay here for now. If a moderator knows of a SC chapter, then they also know they have admin features on their page. It will get moved if necessary.

Just looking for any input from those of you who live there, or used to. Anything from the economy, job market, prices of properties in one area vs. another, to the things no one would ever think of unless you've lived there.

I've got a buddy who bought a place in the county, south of the city. Going down in early May to look around. If you see a black CTD with MA plates, then that's me. I'm an electrician, an evening electrical instructor for apprentices, and a deputy electrical instructor. I have my class A CDL, and a hoisting license for up here. I'm not all that worried about finding work, it seems to have always found me. I have an rough idea of the difference in wages/salaries for my field between here and down there. But, it's nice to hear from those who know. I also really, really want to finish my undergraduate degree, and SC has a few electrical engineering schools, including USC.

I looked up the DMV in SC, but can't find an answer. Are there smog inspections for diesel and/or gas vehicles there? We have it here, and it's about as severe as California, which is a real PITA. My '87 Jeep passes, but barely. What's an annual registration fee run for our trucks? Is there additional excise tax on them?

I also found Anderson County's web site, so I've looked up property tax values and what not. Where's the "bad" part of town? Where's the "good", or "Better" part of town, if any? We'll be looking in about a year and a half's time for a place. Not sure if I want to buy just property then build, or a new place already built. But, something with 3 to 4 bedrooms, at least a 2 car garage, a few acres, etc. Something that my neighbors aren't up my rear end, and visa versa. Would love to find something lakefront, but that's on the wish list. Mostly wanting a simpler life. It's way to assiduous up here... everyone is always running around stressed out and in a hurry. I rarely meet anyone who has stopped to enjoy life here.

There's a few more specifics if anyone has any input.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:53 AM

sc is as good as most other states.lord knows i have seen worse.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:09 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mass is a tough state, especially from 495 east, it is actually a different way of life in the eastern part, the big joke is that everyone in the eastern part of the state thinks the state ends at 495.

I live in western Mass, it is an entirely different way of life and a different pace also, buuuuut it is still Massachusettes, subject to the same idiotic government. If I were not so vested in my job I would flee this state and move to Texas where the majority of my family resides.

Tim
Old 04-09-2008, 06:18 AM

SC done away with vehicle inspections a few years ago as far as fees I do not know. Their car insurance is a little high but I'm preyyt sure MA is higher that whole no fault collision deal. You are correct in the wage difference but the cost of livling in the southeast is a lot less. Anderson is still rual so you should be able to pickup a little land to build a house on fairly cheap. Anderson is in a good location on the interstate as well if you go 2 hours north you will be in Charlotte NC and if you go 2 hours south you will be in Atlanta GA.