Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Anderson LST Utility Trailer... Fair Price?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 09:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Anderson LST Utility Trailer... Fair Price?

I'm going to look at a used utility trailer, and wanted opinions on a fair price, and any other suggestions or comments from experiance.

It's a 2005 Anderson LST 16' utility. I asked the owner if both axles had brakes, and he confirmed they do, as well as the brake-a-way setup. Anderson's website says they're "cambered brakes"... what are cambered brakes? Is $1,800 a decent asking price?

Its usage will be for hauling my lifted Cherokee, as well as gravel, dirt, mulch, or whatever.

Here's a picture of it. Won't know any more 'till I go look at it.

If I get it, I'll probably be posting questions about trailer brake controllers. But, from what I've read, the Prodigy seems like a good choice. When I drove a flat bed cross country, I got used to trailer air brakes, so something that can proportion the trailer brakes to my truck brakes as much as possible is what I want.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:23 PM
RAF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks to be about a 7,000lb rated trailer. How much does your Cherokee weigh? If the trailer weighs 2,000lb. that leaves you with 5,000lb. Just wouldn't like to see a trailer at max capacity all the time. The gate might need to be beefed up a little.

My 2 cents.
Rich
Old 05-30-2008, 07:54 PM

It will be fine for the XJ. Mine is roughly the same, but without the sides and back gate. Weighed it while hitched to the truck and the truck takes some of the weight, so my trailer axles were roughly 5500lbs total. Probably 4500 for the jeep, plus 1600 for the trailer, but had about 6-700lbs of tongue weight. Cherokee is still full bodied, winch bumper front, and tire carrier in rear, with 35 inch tires....so you can guesstimate your weight according to how yours is built. Brakes won't even be an issue, my trailer only has them on one axle and I have no trouble coming down from the mountains.

You'll be fine.

Also....get it weighed once you're all hitched up, then you can adjust your tongue weight to the correct amount by moving the jeep a little.

Price seems a little high....but it might be a higher quality trailer than what I'm used to. For a "bare bones" double axle car trailer around here, you spend about $16-1800 new.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I figured mine would weigh around that, or a little less than that. I had it on a scale once, just can't remember the exact amount.

Around here, utility trailers comparable to this length and weight run upwards of $2,600. Having never bought one, I'm not sure why. I don't want just a low-end car trailer as they usually don't have a full wooden deck. I'm looking for something I can use for everything.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:36 PM

10-4

As long as the price sounds fair for your area....it should do the job just fine.