Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

car trailer vs utility trailer

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 05:24 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car trailer vs utility trailer

What are the differences between a car hauler trailer and a utility trailer?
A friend has a car hauler with two 5200# axles that is freaking heavy. I have pulled bigger (space wise) utility trailers with two 5200# axels that are much lighter. which is the better trailer?
Old 03-12-2005, 07:22 PM

whats used for what? Weight of the trailer coudl be due to many things, Mainly material used in construction. Whats the weight rating of the trailers?
Old 03-12-2005, 07:24 PM

Car trailers have low fenders so you can open the auto door over the fender. Utility trailers usually have some sort of rail around the sides, I would prefer a car hauler I can build sides for if needed.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:39 PM

both trailers have the same weight rating. one just has a higher empty weight than the other. I know I probably wont be able to tell much difference when I get a dodge, but the more the trailer wieghs empty, the less I can add. My concern, is there a difference in reliability or a difference in quality of trailer between a heavier car hauler or a lighter utility trailer?
Old 03-12-2005, 10:50 PM

Personanlly I wouldgive them both a good visual. Look under the trailer at the crossmembers ( size, type, spacing, attachment method). Check out the outer frame material and construction (angle iron or square tubing). Look at the type of decking (daimond plate, wood etc..). What type of ramps does it have and where are they located.
I personally have a 10,000 lb rated trailer. It has a heavy angle iron frame. The crossmembers sit in the angle so even if a weld failed gravity would hold it together. I have 2 by decking which seems to be a benefit when hauling machinery as it doesn't allow the items to slide around. When carrying my tractor and additional implements the implements stay put. When ordering my trailer they offered a hitch called, I believe, a Bulldog. It looked really husky but had a new type of fastnr which looked questionable. I stuck with the old tried and true type hitch assembly. My trailer came with side board slots and I had them add 6 D rings for a cost of about $100. My ramps come right out the back which is handy.
Are you going to use the trailer strictly for car hauling or do you have other hauling in mind?
Good luck with your decision. There is a picture of my trailer in my pictures gallery.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:04 AM

I really dont know what I would use a trailer for right now. In the past it has been to haul cars mostly. I was mostly wondering what the differences are since I have been told that all car haulers are heavier.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Utility trailers and car haulers are not built the same because of design and cost, a heavy trailer is not necessarily stronger or car vs utility is not always stronger or heavier. A car hauler has as stated some unique features that should be built into the trailer. Drop axles are generally used to lower the height of the deck to reduce loading angle but fender height and tire clearance are also important. Car haulers need to be able to support weight on the areas where the tires will support the vehicle, some don't even have center deck material to reduce weight. Utility trailers must be able to support weight on all the deck surface usually reqiring closer and stronger cross members, tongue design plays a major role in the weight of the trailer. Channel iron vs rectangle tube is a cost and weight factor, angle iron vs tube for cross members also affect strength and weight. Channel iron flexs more box tube less, rubber torsion axles have 4 mount points and tandem springs have 6 to spread out the stress points. Bulldog couplers look funny but are proven to be more reliable and stronger and that is why horse trailers use them. Chances are if the price is super cheap so is the trailer in quality, do you feel comfortable dragging it down the road at others risk from you. Buy equipment for what you need and live with the extra weight for less demanding tasks. Car trailers with wooden decks should have tongue and groove lumber for protection from trying to support all the weight on one board between cross members or checker plate on treadways. Ramp length can compensate for increased deck heights for loading low vehicles, ramp design can reduce ramp weight but may be more costly to build. PK