Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.
View Poll Results: How Do You Park Your Truck?
Put it in my parking gear, then shut it off.
58.91%
Shut it off, then put it in my parking gear.
29.07%
Shut it off in gear, let the engine brake stop me.
0.78%
Other
11.24%
Voters: 258. You may not vote on this poll

[Manual Tranny Guys] When I park my truck, I...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 12:01 PM
BCB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BearKiller

Of course, I can cheat a little,---wellll, actually a lot.

One of the first modifications that I make to every hydraulic-braked truck that I have ever owned is to install a MICO-LOCK.

Worth every penny; I wouldn't do without one for a thousand bucks and a wheelbarrow full of wheel-chocks.

I can let my truck sit and idle, with a big load of cattle shaking things around, on an incline, and with the MICO applied, she don't go nowhere.

I can cheat even a whole lot more.

I have vacuum-over-hydraulic trailer brakes, with a cable operated trigger on the actuator.

So long as the truck is idling, and the cable is pulled, the truck, trailer, and load is not going anywhere, period.

So, with trailer in tow, when parking, I set parking brake, MICO-LOCK, trailer-brakes, and chock the trailer tandem.

I know this is a little off the initial purpose of the thread, but I thought it might be of interest.
Is a MICO-LOCK just a good old line lock? Or what is that?
Old 09-28-2006, 01:09 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by BCB
Is a MICO-LOCK just a good old line lock? Or what is that?

You got it, good old brake-line lock.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:24 AM

Shut it off,put on parking brake.after cool down
Old 10-02-2006, 09:47 PM

With my truck I just got this weekend(89 S-10 v6 5spd) I pull in push in the clutch and shut it off,then put it in the gear I am going to use when I get back in the truck.

When we had the Dodge I would do the same except would let it cool down some and also apply the parking brake.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Slightly off-topic anecdote:

Many years ago, I got home from work and parked the service truck in the street across the end of the driveway, opened the garage door so I could wrench on the GTO, which for some reason I had in Neutral (no parking brake). Then I went inside to grab a power nap...

I'd left the Goat like that before, but apparently the garage floor wasn't perfectly level - because almost an hour later I awoke to a humongous CRASH and jumped up to see what idiot wrecked out on our cul-de-sac....

The rear bumper of my '65 was T-boned into the side of my company truck!

So I fired her up, which brought the neighbors running, and parked back in the garage. I spent the rest of the evening thrashing the truck's sheetmetal with tools, bondo & paint - showed up at work the next morning with a shiny new ride (bosses never did find out about that one!)

Even though the chrome on my Pontiac wasn't scratched, the best part was: the truck was a PowerChoke...
Old 10-04-2006, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
me too.......
My Clutch safety interlock has been by-passed, so she will start in gear...the BOSS almsot went through the side of the house right after I first bought the truck,

That's exactly why I haven't disabled mine, it's there for other peoples saftey. I always disabled the clutch saftey on my gasser pickups because they would stall as soon as they hit whatever it was. But the diesel has enough torque to go through whatever it is or sit and spin until someone shuts it down.

I push in the clutch, shut it down, pull it into second and put the e brake in.