3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Out of Park Alarm Flash - Disabled Manual High Idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 09:12 AM
GSW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Out of Park Alarm Flash - Disabled Manual High Idle

Was recently in for transmission work, under warranty, and they said they couldn't do the warranty work without doing the safety recall that honks the horn when in reverse with the doors open. So I acquiesced and the work was done.

Now I have lost the manual high idle feature that I've had and used for 4 years now. They claim that they didn't cause it with their safety flash, but I've heard of instances of this happening before. I used the high idle the morning I took the truck in, tried it 2 days after getting it back and it's gone. Clearly they caused the issue, but how can I get them to accept responsibility and just take the 10 minutes to put it back? Any advice? Regional service contacts worth a shot?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:16 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
just go in and tell them. talk to the service manager. no need to go to a regional mgr to stir the pot. be nice and if the dealer is worth a crap, a tech will just come out and do it. my 07 mega had a flash and it killed the high idle. went back in and told them and they said "sorry for that", tech came out and 10 minutes later (starscan is slower than a 7 year itch) and it was done and I was gone.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:23 AM

Default for the high idle is "off". Anytime a flash is done for that module the high idle is turned off by default. They have to go in and turn the high idle back on after any flash. Should take them 5 minutes.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:39 AM
GSW

I had my appointment scheduled for this morning, with the understanding that I wouldn't be charged. Of course they tell me when I get there that they had discussed it and it wasn't a result of anything they did so they would have to charge shop time.......an hour and a half @$88 per hour
Reasonable discussion didn't help, unfortunately.

Thanks for the info about the high idle default to "off". That was what I was looking for. I'll try again at the dealer but I'm not optimistic.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:43 AM
Chapter President

1.5 hours for a flash? Where are you located so I can never get close to that dealer. standard flash rate is an hour (pays the tech) but we only charge $75 to update controllers. the dealer needs to step up to the plate and just do it. go to the GM. once its escalated to higher mgt pressure will be on and they will do it. just keep after them and after its done, never darken their door again
Old 04-21-2011, 02:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I had mine high idle turned do along with power on with key off and turn on DRL it took them 15 minuets, that cost me $35.00.

FYI, several times that Dodge has hooked up the star tool to my truck to fix something or when they diagnose a trans problem it turned off high idle so don't let them say it can't and don't let them charge you to turn it it back on as its the star tools fault not yours.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's a bunch of crap!
Know anyone with a Bullydog or other programmer that can re-flash options?
My BD will turn on the high idle on my 07 5.9 and I believe it doesn't have to be locked to the truck just for scanning and re-flashing options, but icbw.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Had a flash done to my truck. The flash reset the ecm and tipm to the factory default setings. Any flash done to a truck or car has the possibility of resetting any modual / controller to the factory default settings. The dealer service manager told me that the main reason for the flash may not be the only "fix" in the flash file. When a flash is done it cleans out the controller and reinstalls a complete program with the "fix" in it. So, if you get the safety flash for your truck, it may also "fix" the fuel mapping in the ecm and the tipm over charging problem even if you did not know you had a problem.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:05 PM

Whats the latest word from the dealer?
Old 04-29-2011, 10:00 AM
GSW

Thumbs up

Update: The dealer finally acquiesced and fixed the high idle at no charge. However, they wouldn't admit that the safety flash caused it, as I had suggested. Instead they said it may have been messed up while they were replacing the torque converter and solenoid pack in the transmission. Either way, manual high idle is back and it didn't cost me anything.

Thanks for all the advice.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:12 AM
Chapter President

now find another dealer that has some ethics. glad to hear you are back to normal on the truck
Old 05-02-2011, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by cbrahs
now find another dealer that has some ethics. glad to hear you are back to normal on the truck
Agree 100% and if you can find a new dealership to do business with.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:56 PM

I had my dealer flash my truck last fall to add the fog lights and the steering wheel audio controls. Sofar it was more than a waste of $60. The fog lights stayed on with the high beams before the flash, now they turn off with the highs, and my aftermarket alarm door lock feature hasn't worked right since. Instead of getting the chirp from the alarm and the doors locking like before, now I either get a horn honk with the alarm chirp as the doors lock, or the alarm chirps and the doors don't actually lock.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:15 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by BroncoAZ
I had my dealer flash my truck last fall to add the fog lights and the steering wheel audio controls. Sofar it was more than a waste of $60. The fog lights stayed on with the high beams before the flash, now they turn off with the highs, and my aftermarket alarm door lock feature hasn't worked right since. Instead of getting the chirp from the alarm and the doors locking like before, now I either get a horn honk with the alarm chirp as the doors lock, or the alarm chirps and the doors don't actually lock.
key word there is "aftermarket". go back to the alarm shop that did the install and have them reprogram your alarm. you can also go into features and shut off your truck horn with door lock. did you have an add on alarm that uses factory key fob or do you have a separate fob for the alarm?
Old 05-06-2011, 06:44 PM

The alarm was functioning fine before the dealer plugged into the truck, so I believe the issue is the result of their programming. Reading this thread about the high idle being automatically set to off made me wonder if the horn honk on lock was auto reprogrammed to on, so I'll try shutting that off.

The alarm is a Code Alarm SRT-9000 professionally installed using the CANbus adapter to interface with the truck. It does not use the factory fob. All of the other features function as normal (remote start included), it is just the door locks are flaky since the flash.

Quick Reply: Out of Park Alarm Flash - Disabled Manual High Idle