Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

****BREAKROOM, 05/19 to 05/25****

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 04:29 AM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by chaikwa
Hear ye, hear ye! It is hear-by proclaimed that ye shall enter Ye Olde Breakroom on a daily basis to partake in the festivities, food and beverages, and to report on the activities thou hast participated in, in the previous 24 to 48 hours!

In other words, get your butts in here everyday, tell us what you're up to and have a coffee!
Well, Since you put it so eloquently.......

Mornin' all! Been quite a while since I swung through here.

I'm still grinding away here in the slammer hoping someday to get out...... I'm past the halfway mark though. I've been filling in as the on-duty sergeant more often than not and my boss put in his notice 2 weeks ago. His job is open and my name is in the hat for it. Should be interviewing for it soon. In the meantime, I'm doing the job anyways........

Had to put our old Lab down 2 weeks ago. She was fairly stiff after the second knee overhaul last fall but I kinda figured on that during the winter as she couldn't go out as much as she needed for exercise but this spring she started having balance problems. Thought it was an ear infection at first. Treated that and it helped but she still wasn't 100%. Vet took another look at her and figured that she had developed an tumor in her head that was effecting her nervous system and creating some motor skill issues as well as the balance problems. Said it wasn't uncommon in dogs of her age and put her on some steroids to treat the symptoms. They worked great for about 5 days. Then I came home one morning after work and she wasn't able to get up anymore. Took her to the vet and she was gone inside of 10 min. Mama took it pretty hard. Mollie was her first baby. I brought the dog home for her as a puppy when she moved up here before we got married. She'd had that dog longer than our kids.

On a happier note, Spring FINALLY arrived here North of North pole..... I see that Cougar posted a link about all the weather records that have been broken this year. Up here, It snowed less than 84 hours ago..... but today hit the upper 60s and there is 70s predicted for this weekend! It's already getting hot out and I'm 2 weeks behind on yard work.

Got quite a bit of work done on my trusty 4-wheeler. New set of tires, small front end lift and some much needed maintenance and I'm ready to head out after a black bear. Just need to find a little bit of time..... (what else is new)

The youngest just turned 2. She is a riot! Completely full of attitude and not afraid to show it. Middle kid is about to turn 7 and still smart as ever. Loves to learn about everything. My oldest is 11 now and turning into a beautiful young lady..... Just got to keep her head on straight for her sometimes.

I'll put on a pot of coffee fro anyone lurking around in here. Of course, once upon a time there was always a pot on in here.......
Old 05-23-2013, 05:35 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Sorry to hear that, buddy.

Morning to the rest of ya. Fooish coffee and the real stuff.

I thought my heart was going to explode yesterday... turns out I put an extra scoop of coffee in the basket. Tasted good, tho!
Old 05-23-2013, 06:38 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ofcmarc
Had to put our old Lab down 2 weeks ago.
Well, nothing like starting off my day with a few tears. So sorry Mark. But it's still good to see you here. And good luck with the promotion!

Mornin' to the rest of ya too!

My, my, my! YES! The coffee was a bit strong Mark!

It's Thursday, May 23rd.

1785 - Benjamin Franklin wrote in a letter that he had invented bifocals.

1788 - South Carolina became the eighth state to ratify U.S. Constitution.

1873 - Canada's North West Mounted Police force was established. The organization's name was changed to Royal Canadian Mounted Police in 1920.

1879 - The first U.S. veterinary school was established by Iowa State University.

1900 - Civil War hero Sgt. William H. Carney became the first African American to receive the Medal of Honor, 37 years after the Battle of Fort Wagner.

1901 - American forces captured Filipino rebel leader Emilio Aguinaldo.

1908 - Part of the Great White Fleet arrived in Puget Sound, WA.

1915 - During World War I, Italy joined the Allies as they declared war on Austria-Hungary.

1934 - In Bienville Parish, LA, Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow were ambushed and killed by Texas Rangers. The bank robbers were riding in a stolen Ford Deluxe.

1945 - In Luneburg Germany, Heinrich Himmler, the head of the **** Gestapo, committed suicide while imprisoned by the Allied forces.

1985 - Thomas Patrick Cavanagh was sentenced to life in prison for trying to sell Stealth bomber secrets to the Soviet Union.

1995 - The Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City was demolished.

Today's thought:
We are judged by what we finish, not by what we start.

Today's coffee blend should be a little milder... I only used 12 scoops. Ph00's on t00!
Old 05-23-2013, 07:38 AM

Well, nothing like starting off my day with a few tears. So sorry Mark. But it's still good to see you here.
Thanks Chaikwa. No need for tears though, It was her time and shes no longer in pain. Plenty of happy memories with her too.

I've seen that poem before. Pretty good.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:00 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Morning.

Mark, sorry about your pup Yall hang in there.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:15 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I worked my tail off in the yard, garage, shed and moved the gazebo...played baseball. No dreams...too tired to dream.

Marc...Scott cries all the time. However, I'm sorry for your loss as are others.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Scotty
Marc...Scott cries all the time.
HEY! I don't 'cry all the time'!

I whine.

WHINE!

Get it right!
Old 05-23-2013, 01:38 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
HEY! I don't 'cry all the time'!
I whine.
WHINE!
Get it right!
UHHHH - - - OK - - - so does the rear end in my truck. Are you trying to tell us something about yourself????? (oh ho ho, I just kill myself.................)

No worker bees today - - gorgeous weather, but still no workers. I am ready for this to end and get back to some type of order around here. Summer is here - - broke 90 today - - quite warm. Great day for the beach under an umbrella sipping ice tea.

Marc - - - sorry about the loss - - never fun to put a good pet down. Hey, I'm hoping for the promo for you - - not too much competition around there so that is a good thing unless they start looking at Fairbanks.

OK, back to work - - ya'll be good.

Bob
Old 05-23-2013, 02:09 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Hi...

Bye...
Old 05-23-2013, 02:17 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
My, my, my! YES! The coffee was a bit strong Mark!
I literally put double the coffee grounds in the basket... man, that was somethin else!
Originally Posted by FiverBob
UHHHH - - - OK - - - so does the rear end in my truck. Are you trying to tell us something about yourself????? (oh ho ho, I just kill myself.................)
Nice.

Afternooner. Took the afternoon off to talk to my middle kid's class, four classes of 5th graders. It was a good time. I got some good one liners in there that the kids and adults got, it's nice to leave them laughing.

At the end, one of the teachers asked me to give them a parting thought... I almost gave them Reese Bobby's talk to the class for parent's day... "It's the fastest that gets paid, and the fastest that..." I asked the teachers if I should say that... Angie was laughing so hard, shaking her head trying to tell me no. I was just kidding, I promise.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:47 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Ofcmarc,
My thoughts are with you. DW and I had to put down our pup of 17 yrs a week and a half ago. We have both put down dogs before but this one hit us really hard. Hopefully you are doing a little better. There is nothing magic I can say because putting down dogs sucks and can turn the toughest person around into a blubbering idiot. I think it is because our pets love us unconditionally.
Prayers and thoughts from here.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by FiverBob
UHHHH - - - OK - - - so does the rear end in my truck. Are you trying to tell us something about yourself?????
And you wonder why you can't get help to show up?

Originally Posted by madhat
Nice.
Yeah, REAL nice. And he's SUPPOSED to be a friend!

Originally Posted by madhat
Took the afternoon off to talk to my middle kid's class, four classes of 5th graders.
Prob'ly just like talking to a new group of recruits!

Evening all.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:13 PM
REALLY old dog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scott,
Still waiting for pict`s of new - (SAR ) OR SAW THAT YOU BUILT .

i SENT YOU PICTS OF THE ONE I SEEN UP HERE
CLAUDE
Old 05-24-2013, 04:21 AM

Mornin' All! Thanks for all the kind words.

Spring is here in full force. Supposed to be in the 70s by the weekend. Big change from the snow that was falling last weekend.

Tonight is day 3 out of 9 for the week here in the motel..... gonna be a long week but Mama likes the longer paychecks.... of course, so do I.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Morning there, sorry to hear about your beloved dogs, I remember when we had our 15 year old cat put to sleep, I believe it was the first time my kids saw their dad cry...

About 3 weeks ago there was a power outage at work, just a few seconds, and I had just left so no big deal.
But the next morning when I was to get my machine going... nothing, absolutely dead.
Turns out the power had gone and then come back so fast that the main switch couldnīt cut out, so when it came back it burned the switch, and a lot of the computer thingys in the controlcenter.

A couple of days ago we found out what caused the power outage, some poor guy had to bury his beloved dog, but the ground was so dry he couldnīt dig it with a shovel, luckily he knew a guy who had a minidigger, and then....straight Down in a 10.000 volt cable...

I feel really sorry for that guy, he was just trying to do one last good thing for his old friend, as far as I know, nobody was hurt, but he sure didnīt need that kind of stuff happen.

I got coffee going, and phoo is right there on the counter next to the donuts.

Slev

Quick Reply: ****BREAKROOM, 05/19 to 05/25****