Off Road / 4x4 OffRoad discussion, along with 4x4 events and information.

recovery pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
recovery pics

i was just wonderin if you any pics of your rig stuck and how you got out. knowledge is saftey. and i would like to learn all i can about recovery.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The best thing I learned about recovery, try to not get stuck. If you do, I noticed several things happen: you get late and miss whatever it was you tried to get to; you break stuff trying to get out; you hurt your hands (regardless of how much you try not to); you get a lot of dirt into the truck.
Of course you get some pay back in the form of eternal memories and sometimes pictures. Unfortunately, I hardly ever took pictures when I was stuck, it is way too frustrating at the moment even if you later regret not taking any.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:49 PM

I got stuck here, basically my tires weren't big enough

Winch guy with jeep, notice hood up to protect windshield from flying shackles. while winching he was behind it.

these two trucks are attached with a short strap as anchors
Old 05-12-2008, 07:54 PM

the jeep winch and anchor vehicles were attached to my truck with a ****** block and straps.

Heres an overhead view of the whole thing. when he was winching, it was dragging all 3 vehicles to start with, finally got it out. couldn't use the land as an anchor because as you can see just past the anchor vehicles is a giant cliff.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:18 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look up your local 4x4 club. Most of them offer a 4x4 awareness classes and teach most of the basics of 4x4 recovery.
Do not use the above pic as a safe way to winch. What's protecting the guy with the controller? That little tree?
Always lay a floor mat, blanket or something heavy across the winch cable to drop it in case of a cable failure. If you put the hood up on the Jeep you should be in the jeep for protection.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:22 PM
Banned

interesting to see if you could make it by climbing the wall on the left side the whole way, with right tire on the middle of high center between the ruts. Truck would most likely be tilted about the same, just the other way ! sure looks like a nice area and good to see not too much was damaged in the event.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by scottsjeeprolet
Look up your local 4x4 club. Most of them offer a 4x4 awareness classes and teach most of the basics of 4x4 recovery.
Do not use the above pic as a safe way to winch. What's protecting the guy with the controller? That little tree?
Always lay a floor mat, blanket or something heavy across the winch cable to drop it in case of a cable failure. If you put the hood up on the Jeep you should be in the jeep for protection.
maybe I should have been more specific. I said "Winch guy with jeep, notice hood up to protect windshield from flying shackles. while winching he was behind it."

I should have said "Winch guy with jeep, notice hood up to protect windshield from flying shackles. while winching he was behind the hood."
Old 05-13-2008, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by mikmaze
interesting to see if you could make it by climbing the wall on the left side the whole way, with right tire on the middle of high center between the ruts. Truck would most likely be tilted about the same, just the other way ! sure looks like a nice area and good to see not too much was damaged in the event.
I will try this next time we head out there and post up results. its probably alot more rutted out now due to a few guys here with 54" boggers haha