NJDTR #37 Forum for the New Jersey chapter #37

Help Doing Injectors In Northern NJ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Doing Injectors In Northern NJ?

I just finished up doing a bunch of "maintenance" type stuff on my truck over the past couple of weeks and now I'd like to some performance work. I have had a set of "Stage 2" injectors from Pensacola Diesel on the shelf for a little over 2 years and I'd like to install them but I'm a little hesitant about doing it myself. If anyone up this way has a day that they could give me a hand I'd really appreciate it. Even if someone knows of a decent "how-to" on line I may gain the confidence to do it myself after reading a good guide on it.

Thanks.

John
Old 05-23-2010, 08:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How far from 13904 are you?
Old 05-23-2010, 09:23 PM

Quite a ways. Its about 2.5 hours up 17 to you.

John
Old 06-03-2010, 12:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
John,
I am right down the road in W Milford if you need a hand. I think we talked before. June is a little sketchy with events but maybe I could give you a couple nites. Never did them before so my hands would be more for moral support and maybe holding a beer but I'd be glad to give it a shot. PM me if you'd like, we can exchange #'s.

Brian
Old 06-03-2010, 06:51 PM

i will be willing to lend a hand if i can find some free time. i have done a couple of sets on vp 24 valves none on 12 valves though
Old 06-03-2010, 08:03 PM

Thanks very much to both of you. I'm going to PM the both of you my number. I've got a family thing to do on Sunday but I might be able to wrench on it Saturday afternoon around 3'ish. I have to check the local hardware store and try to put together a puller similar to the one in the dodgeram.org article. I think I might have a go at it even if I'm flying solo. I don't need to use the truck again until next Friday so I'll have plenty of time to do the job.

John
Old 06-03-2010, 09:53 PM

I just spent the last hour or two searching and reading on here. It sounds like this is a 2 hour job at worst and is really pretty simple. You both are still welcome to give me a call and come by if you want to but I think I'm gonna tear the old ones out tomorrow (Friday) night after work and then if time allows I'll put it back together. I can't believe I've let them sit on the shelf for 2 years when it looks like its so easy to do.

John
Old 06-06-2010, 03:41 PM

sorry just saw your pm. how did you do can't call can't find charger for cell phone
Old 06-06-2010, 09:02 PM

Did OK. Wrapped it all up Friday night. Not as big a power difference as I was expecting (especially when I first finished it up) but I was getting a little blue/white smoke haze at idle with the old injectors and that is gone now. I spent a good part of Saturday going through the AFC and adjusting the governor as per info here and on some other forums with some success. It was getting too much fuel down low before and as the article here states it was "putting out the fire" so to speak. After I was done fooling with it the low end and mid range were improved. I stomped the gas from a roll in 3rd and the rear tires howled a little because they were breaking loose. Its making me a firm believer in what I thought was true all along, a lot of smoke isn't really a good thing. It smokes less than it did before I "tuned" the pump and AFC but I think I need to back the smoke screw out a little to try to clear it up down low. Then I'll tackle the mid and maybe the top end some.

The "pumpmods" article here gave some great advice on adjusting the governor arm. When the engine was off the arm contacted right near the bottom of the ramp on the fuel plate but when I looked at it with the AFC off and the engine running it was hitting it about 1/4" up from the bottom. After I adjusted it the arm was hitting just a hair above the bottom of plate so I was getting less fuel down low (I had too much anyway) and still getting the same amount up top. What I really, really need is more air, I can bury the EGT gauge pretty easily. That might improve once I make some more adjustments to the AFC though.

I need to do the crank seal still and while I'm in there I think the 15 year old radiator is due to be changed before it leaves me stuck. I need the truck to get my trike to a harescramble in PA this weekend so it'll probably come back apart early next week.

John