NCDTR #18 Forum for the North Carolina chapter #18

47RE -> NV4500 swap started

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 06:40 PM
DTR question asker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
47RE -> NV4500 swap started

Well, I have 5 more days until I've got to head down to ECU. Ugh. Shoulda worked for a year, but... whatever. Of course I procrastinated on the swap.
PART I:
Picked up the rest of the stuff I need for the swap, minus the flywheel bolts. UPS hadn't delivered them to Phil yet (or something happened to them after they arrived, we don't know).
1. Got the flywheel that was in the donor truck resurfaced. Looks great.

2. New clutch - South Bend clutch rated for 350HP, 700ft/lbs of torque. If the guy that bought the cab of the donor truck would have showed up 2 days earlier, I would have gone up to the 400HP clutch, but, too late now, I can always upgrade later. Not like I'm anywhere near 350HP now anyway.

3. Stopped by Northern Tool on the way home. Bought a 16mm wrench (as I had 4 15mm wrenches, 5 17mm wrenches, but apparently ZERO 16mm wrenches, ***??), 2 sets of jack stands, as I couldn't remember what the set I had currently were rated for (stupid frickin' 2WD truck is too low and will be need to have all four corners off the ground in order to get the auto tranny out and manual tranny in), a little set of 1/2" sockets and a wrench, needed a wrench as my other 1/2" wrench disappeared, and a trans jack. Picked up my floor jack from the old house and mowed the lawn there (please, someone buy that **** house) on the way too.

Part II:
Drive truck in garage.

Stop JUST in time before backing into your NV4500.

Support the front of the truck with jack stands to make it easier to work under if you have a 2WD. Really wish it was a 4x4. Really like those dual-locking jack stands.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:41 PM
DTR question asker

Don't forget to chock off the tires so the truck can't roll.

Remove the 4 bolts holding the driveshaft together by the rear diff. Unbolt the support at the back of the cab if you have the 2-piece driveshaft like I do. It helps to have a floor jack under to support the driveshaft during this, so when you remove the last bolt it doesn't come down and crack you on the head. Then, just pull the driveshaft out of the rear of the tranny. There shouldn't be a flood of fluid unleashed unless you have a bad rear seal. But a little fluid will leak out. Push the driveshaft off to the side.

Remove the 2 10mm bolts that hold the cover on to access the bolts holding the torque converter on. (the hole to the right). If you have a barring tool remove the rubber/plastic plug so you can turn the engine over and feel the bolt as it goes by to remove it. There are 6 of these bolts.

I didn't have a barring tool. So, I used a 22mm socket on the alternator pulley to turn the engine over. Its great to have someone do this while you feel for and remove the bolts, otherwise its kinda guess-and-check.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:49 PM
DTR question asker

Start removing cooler lines. Realize that its probably a good idea to drain the tranny fluid out before you remove all these lines. Couldn't find a container to drain it into as all of mine were full, so I'll have to get another tomorrow.

Instead, take the required retarded looking picture of yourself, and call it a day. Didn't get much done... but, I'm getting there .

Old 08-10-2008, 12:19 AM

Now that's a good post(s). Good luck with the swap.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dieselfuelonly
Start removing cooler lines. Realize that its probably a good idea to drain the tranny fluid out before you remove all these lines. Couldn't find a container to drain it into as all of mine were full, so I'll have to get another tomorrow.

Instead, take the required retarded looking picture of yourself, and call it a day. Didn't get much done... but, I'm getting there .

Boy he looks mean!!!
Old 08-10-2008, 10:51 AM

Good luck with the swap. Best modification I did to my 94. Once you get all the parts it should go pretty good for you.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:22 AM

Same here I like the nv-4500 much more than the 47re and the swap wasn't that hard to do either. My dad has been a Mech for more than 30 years and was suprised at how flawless the swap went. He was expecting alot more trouble than we had.