HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Whining noise on acceleration???

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whining noise on acceleration???

My truck is making a whining noise when I accelerate. At first I thought something was wrong with the turbo. But now the sound really seems to be coming from the drivers side of the engine compartment. It only does it during acceleration and not when maintaining speed. I have recently replaced the lift pump, apps, fuel filter, and started adding some 2 stroke oil to the tank in the hopes of adding a little lubrication to the VP44. Not sure if this is related to any of that. If the engine isn't under load I can rev it and it doesn't make this noise. If I accelerate hard the loud whining sound progresses into a noise I can only describe as a wet sputtering sound. Kind of like water bubbles blowing out of a hose? It is hard to describe. Any ideas on how to track down this problem or what it might be?
Old 07-24-2008, 08:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
well, the first thing that came to mind was front differentail gears or u joint maybe? then i read the rest of your post and it could be a boost leak? check the boots and look for a leak. jack up the front end and wiggle stuff around and see if anything is loose. also roll the fornt tires and listen for the sound. another way is to jack up the rear and have the hood open and have someone listen under the hood while you rev the motor in gear. remember this is not a safe practice and keep you foot on the brake and i am not responsible if you screw it it up.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:58 PM

Well of those the boost definitely sounds the most likely. I think this sound has actually changed from when it first started because like I said, when it first started I thought it was something wrong with the turbo. Where would I check for a boost leak? Is this a small hose coming from the turbo to somewhere on the drivers side or am I looking for something else?
Old 07-24-2008, 09:16 PM

Have you checked your power steering fluid level? It could have something to do with your power steering pump...
Old 07-24-2008, 10:27 PM

Power steering pump was replaced recently too. But the steering is working fine. Would it make that kind of sound only when accelerating?
Old 07-24-2008, 10:41 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
My vote is also for a boost leak. The pressurized air leaves the turbo at the bottom into a large pipe, enters the intercooler located in front of the radiator, leaves the intercooler on the driver side into a large pipe, then enters the engine on top, at the intake manifold. All the connections on the large pipes are made with rubber boots and big hose clamps. have a look at all these and make sure the boot hasn't slipped out from under a clamp. Ideally, you would pressurize the system with a boost leak tester. I have a picture of one I made in my gallery, if you want to copy it. It simply attaches to the front of the turbo where the filtered air enters it.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:16 PM

You guys are awesome! Checked where torquefan said and sure enough there was a loose hose clamp down at the bottom on the drivers side. Must have pulled loose when I took the intake manifold off doing the other work. Tightened it down and went for a test drive, sound is gone and truck is running like a champ. Thanks for all of your help!
Old 07-27-2008, 10:40 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Glad we could help.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:05 AM

I was going to ask if you had your significant other in the car with you at the time, but I'm glad you got it worked out.