HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Waterpump failure??

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Waterpump failure??

Noticed several drops of anitfreeze under the truck today :'( !!
Seems to be coming from the waterpump . The weep hole is completely obscured on the underside of the pump. The truck is an 01' , 180 degree stat otherwise stock , Auto,4.10's with only 40k miles on it. Temperatures are fine , coolant bottle is at the add point. Its definitely coming from the front right corner of the motor and on closer inspection I'm almost certain its the waterpump. Questions for this knowledgeable forum :
1. Is this a common problem ?
2. Whats the fix ?
3. Any one have the part # for a waterpump and $$$ estimate
4. Is there a TSB on it ?

As it appears pretty simple to replace, I'm thinking about fixing myself rather than take it in for repair under warranty and risk getting the truck back with a couple of new problems : . I'm hopelessly in love with my truck and don't want anyone else to touch it if I can avoid it ;D !!

Your collective wisdom is much appreciated .
Old 09-26-2003, 08:55 PM

Re:Waterpump failure??

The only quick checks I know of our these. Squeeze the hose with the engine running, should feel water flowing. Listen for a whistle/whine commoing from the pump(like a belt slipping) and grab the belt pulley assembly and try to move it side to sie or up and down. Any of the above can be a sign for a weak pump. You can also pull it and check the fins for wear. The pump is easy to replace but I am unsure as to how much it will cost for parts. Good luck
Old 09-26-2003, 10:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend shutting off the engine before grabbing the belt pulley. If you don't you won't care about the leak anymore.
Old 09-27-2003, 02:20 PM

Ouch, guess I need to pay more attention to my posts. Hope like Heck he didn't grab that booger when it was movin'. I would feel really bad about the missing or mangled digits. I do take for granted that most people are born with some common sense and apologize for that unsafe posting. Hualin in dixie has my utmost respect . I am really glad that some care enough to speak out for safety. Thanks again for keeping us honest.
Old 09-27-2003, 03:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=slighfoxs3500 link=board=13;threadid=19984;start=0#msg190016 date=1064690444]
Ouch, guess I need to pay more attention to my posts. Hope like Heck he didn't grab that booger when it was movin'. I would feel really bad about the missing or mangled digits. I do take for granted that most people are born with some common sense and apologize for that unsafe posting. Hualin in dixie has my utmost respect . I am really glad that some care enough to speak out for safety. Thanks again for keeping us honest.
[/quote]

Hey... I was snickering when I posted that...

Back in 1978 I was spray painting a flatbed trailer after installing new rub rails. It was 20 degrees out and I was cold and miserable. I did not seem to be getting enough air pressure. I went over to the air compressor, pushed down the little lever that shuts off the compressor. It is spring loaded. I grabbed the belts and checked to see if they were tight. They were so I let go of everything. The little lever first. Cut off my little finger off at the first joint, cut the other three. The hospital sewed it back on but it has never worked since then. I was supposed to be pro Carelessness hurts sometimes. That is what I was thinking when I posted that. I am super careful around belts, you bet.
Old 09-27-2003, 07:00 PM

Hey... I was snickering when I posted that...

I snickered reading yours but only because I have some funny and some not so funny close ones. I figured you were half serious and half HOSS'n. I have been reading dings on that guy all day and had to get in on it. Sorry Hoss but an AGGIE should be expecting the others to opose. I have family in Garland, Richardson(Firewheel) and all over East Texas who would love to hang yo.. I mean around you. Hookem'