24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Waterpump Woes!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Waterpump Woes!!!

Noticed several drops of anitfreeze under the truck today :'( !!
Seems to be coming from the waterpump . The weep hole is completely obscured on the underside of the pump. The truck is an 01' , 180 degree stat otherwise stock , Auto,4.10's with only 40k miles on it. Temperatures are fine , coolant bottle is at the add point. Its definitely coming from the front right corner of the motor and on closer inspection I'm almost certain its the waterpump. Questions for this knowledgeable forum :
1. Is this a common problem ?
2. Whats the fix ?
3. Any one have the part # for a waterpump and $$$ estimate
4. Is there a TSB on it ?

As it appears pretty simple to replace, I'm thinking about fixing myself rather than take it in for repair under warranty and risk getting the truck back with a couple of new problems : . I'm hopelessly in love with my truck and don't want anyone else to touch it if I can avoid it ;D !!

Your collective wisdom is much appreciated .

Old 09-22-2003, 10:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Waterpump Woes!!!

The weep hole is just a groove in the casting where it bolts to the block. If it is leaking it needs replacement. Remove the serpentine belt only from the waterpump pulley, remove two bolts and the hose (which will drain the block)and pull it out. Wipe the inside of the hole in the block, make sure the o ring is on the replacement and lube it a little, push it in. Put it back together, takes a half hour or less.

I will only use cummins recon parts on the engine, about forty bucks exchange maybe $50.
Old 09-23-2003, 04:15 PM

Thanks Haulin in Dixie!! Since its a warranty item , I think I'll drop it by a dealer first , but ....if I don't immediately get a warm and fuzzy from the service manager , no problem , .
I'll fix it myself .
Old 09-23-2003, 05:46 PM
Banned

You know what would be nice? To have a problem like this, take it to the dealer under warranty, let THEM pay for the part, but let YOU install it. Some items you might not be able to do this on, but others you could. I hate letting other people work on my truck. I don't know what's going on or what their doing to it.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:47 PM

I'm with you on that Blue ! My observations have been.........take it to the dealer for one problem and bring it home with three !!! :

I have always performed my own repairs , both major and minor however, right now I'm a little pressed for time :P and its been many many years since I've taken anything in for warranty work so I'll try to give em the benefit of the doubt. We'll see . If I get the ol' "leave us the keys , catch a cab and we'll call you in a few days" then heck with it I'll do it myself on my nickle. BTW I took another quick look at the truck this afternoon and found that in addition to the water pump, the coolant overflow bottle is cracked in the upper mounting tab. Wow ! only 40k ! I hope this is not a sign of things to come .
Old 09-24-2003, 04:42 PM

You know, I did this last summer. Had a lift pump go out on an '02. Brought the failed lift pump in to the dealer. Told the service manager that the truck was thirty miles up a jeep track through several washes and creeks, and I wasn't going to drive it out on the VP44 alone and then a hundred miles to the dealership through 105*F desert heat, and if they forced me to drive it out, they'd have to replace the VP44, too. And the only way it was going to be towed out was if DC paid for a heavy-lift helicopter.

Service manager called the district rep. I got my lift pump under the warranty, which I installed myself. Did some mods to the fuel lines from the lift pump to the VP44. 17 psi @ idle, 11 @ WOT. VP44 happy. I'm happy.

And I didn't lie to the dealer. It was all true. ;D

I wonder if the thing that dealers and DC reps really hate are the labor charges. Wonder if they're a lot more cooperative if it's just parts we want under warranty. Except for STAR items, of course.