HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

truck ran out of oil, now knocks bad

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truck ran out of oil, now knocks bad

changed oil yesterday and made a mistake. changed filter and didnt notice the oring stuck to the engine and didnt come out with filter. put in new filter and basically a double oring was there. left house this morning on way to work got thru town about 5 miles and onto the hiway about another 7 miles and dash light flashes "check gauges" i immediately notice oil pressure dropping to 0 and i pull over and get the truck shut off within 20 seconds. This is when i figured out what happened and fixed the issue, and put in new oil. drove truck back into town and noticed it is knocking or clattering, most noticaeable at idle. I may have over filled a bit, not sure if this has anything to do with it. I was on an angle when refilling so i couldnt tell for sure. put about 2.5 gallons back in it so i know it ran very low.

MY question is do i have major problems? Should i just take to dealer and see what they say?
Old 11-02-2009, 01:25 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
If there was still oil in the engine and you didn't drive it very far or hard like you say you didn't, I think you over filled it. Adjust the oil level to the correct level and see what happens. I think at idle there is more oil in the pan and you can hear the slapping.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:26 PM

Well my guess would be if the engine is knocking now, chance are the bearings are at minimum scored at most one may have spun or 1 or more of the cylinders may be in tough shape. I would not reccomend running the engine any longer until you have gotten the knock figured out.
Im thinking if you take it to the dealer they will just want to rebuild, or throw a new/reman engine in the truck.

If it does need a rebuild and you are looking for more power/reliability not a bad time to get everything blueprinted and ballanced.
OF course if the funds are there.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:31 PM

Is the oil pressure back to the level where it was before this happened? Personally, I think you have done some damage to one or more of your bearings. Probably a rod bearing. Those usually seem to be the first to go....
I would not drive it anymore until getting it figured out or you may end up doing more damage.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:49 PM

oil pressure is back to normal yes. For some reason it is tough to tell the level of oil on the dipstick. it looks like oil is marked just above the high end of the hash, then there is clean spot, then oils smeared up higher on teh dip stick. I tested several times turning the dipstick upside down also. I recall last itme i checked oil it was like this. Im thinking it might be slightly high. I wish it would be as simple as this but i have a bad feeling it is not. Sure wish the low oil sensor worked better to let me know it was low before it was too late. I got home and can see teh oil trail going down the street from when i left this morning. Cant believe i got as far as i did without knowing anyhting was up.

I dont wnat to dump much money into it. I was actually considering getting a new truck. wish the 2010's were out
Old 11-02-2009, 03:31 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I suggest you drain the oil through a fine filter then inspect it for any metal. The ones I use are 12 inches in diameter and 2 microns. If there is bearing damage there will be metal. This only costs the price of the oil and the filter element.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:08 PM

took to dealer, were able to look at it right away. verdict is #6 cylinder rod bearing bad. ouch. wont know if crank is bad until motor is pulled. ugghh. stupid mistake. gonna get it fixed and get an 2010 next month.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:13 PM

If it makes you feel better, I did this one time too but it was in a Mazda 323 car. No damage though as the oil light came on before I messed anything up. Now I always wipe the mounting surface off and feel for the rubber gasket. There have been a couple occasions where it was stuck up there...
Old 11-02-2009, 07:24 PM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

Well if it's any cosolation, I forgot to put my oil pressure sender in after I changed out the turbo. Anyway 2 gallons of oil on the floor and in the engine compartment before I got er shut down.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:58 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't get it fixed. Just trade it in on a new truck at a different dealer.
Gonna cost you a ton of money for the dealer to fix it.
Or you could run it for a couple days, pull an oil sample and find out what is wrong with the motor.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:14 PM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

That's why dealers Edit on trade ins. Too many people bring em in with problems, so they can get rid of em.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:11 PM

I did the same thing on the very first oil change on my truck. Talk about feeling sick. Luckily I didn't get any knocking and it's still going fine.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:10 AM

thanks for the help. gonna pay a buddy to do th ework. turns out the motor doesnt need to be pulled. hopefully a new set of bearings is all thats needed and the crank isnt bad. ill gettr fixed up much cheaper and trade it in next month
Old 11-06-2009, 04:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can hardly wait for the posts from some guy who bought a "used" truck at a dealer and now the engine is bad.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
in NY u have to sign a disclosure statement as to condition of your vehicle.

Quick Reply: truck ran out of oil, now knocks bad