HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Truck broke down after VP-44 replacement!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck broke down after VP-44 replacement!

I replaced my vp44 and all seemed to be well. Truck fired right up, had good power. I did have a CEL on at first but everything seemed ok, I figured it might have something to do with my edge electronics. I decided to take it to autozone to have them check the code anyways, the truck started stumbling but still ran pretty good. It eventually kept stumbling and quit running altogether. I bled the lines and tried restarting it, with some success and it would run for about 30 seconds before stalling again.

Now the truck won't even fire at all. What are the chances that the fuel filter could cause this, I do have an Airdog 100 Fuel system and no part number for the filters. I plan on replacing them as soon as possible but right now my truck is broken in a empty parking lot in West Lafayette, IN.

Help please!

Thanks,

Greg
Old 04-17-2009, 10:56 PM

Never change your pump without changing the filters and flushing the lines first.
Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? Did you verify you have the proper fuel pressure before starting your truck?
I don't know where you got your pump from, but we get ours from Bosch and they will not warranty their pumps unless the fuel filter and lift pump was replaced at the time of installation of the injector pump or an idiot light or gauge must be installed if using an existing lift pump.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:49 AM

Thanks, I bought my pump from Scheid's in Lafayette, I am going to go back and work on it again today, hopefully I have some luck.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You gotta do the lift pump and or filters with a VP. ALthough unlikely with the Airdog, a lack of supply pressure may have killed the VP to begin with. Hopefully you didn't kill the new one also. Make sure you have a fuel pressure gauge or at least a low pressure light installed ASAP. Good luck!
Old 04-18-2009, 02:34 PM

I'd unplug the edge data port connector, clear the codes, and see if it'll run.

What codes did you get on the scan ?
Old 04-18-2009, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by RacerRon
I'd unplug the edge data port connector, clear the codes, and see if it'll run.

What codes did you get on the scan ?
He obviously does not have a scan tool.
He said he was taking the truck to Auto Zone to have them read the codes when it quit running.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:11 PM

I changed the filters, added a gallon of fuel ( I was low, my fuel gauge is off) and charged the battery because it was low also. I bled the lines and cranked and eventually it started up!

Im not sure if it was a filter issue or if I ran out of fuel...but when I went to fill it up it took a near 35 gallons. The CEL is not on anymore and all seems to be good.

I would like to thank everybody for their help, I will hook up a low fuel pressure gauge as soon as possible.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boilermaker08
I changed the filters, added a gallon of fuel ( I was low, my fuel gauge is off) and charged the battery because it was low also. I bled the lines and cranked and eventually it started up!

Im not sure if it was a filter issue or if I ran out of fuel...but when I went to fill it up it took a near 35 gallons. The CEL is not on anymore and all seems to be good.

I would like to thank everybody for their help, I will hook up a low fuel pressure gauge as soon as possible.
You were out of fuel with little to no pressure and full of air as i was reading from your first post i was thinking bad gauge and out of fuel .
Now you have seen first hand the need for a real fuel pressure gauge and not just a light it would have shown you the problem before it died.

Hopefully you did not hurt the new vp. Also fill up when you get down to a 1/4 tank the cooler the fuel threw the pump the better when you run them low like that the fuel gets very hot.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:23 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
you really need to fix your fuel gauge, or keep it full. when i ran out of fuel my gauge read just over 1/4....... it didn't hurt the VP44, probably because i had a pretty strong mixture of two stroke oil in