3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

brand new truck broke down today

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brand new truck broke down today

I was just driving along and all of a sudden all the lights in the dash come on and the guages die. The digital readout says "no bus" and the a/c quit too. I pull over turn it off and back on and keep driving. It does it again. Then the engine dies. So I to pull it over and call roadside assistance. after sweating my backside off in a costco parking lot at 110 degrees here in the vally of the sun. the tow truck fineally comes but he will only take it to the nearist DC dealer. Which was a chrystler, not a dodge. they dont sell rams there or diesels so i was pretty upset. go in and talk to the service guy, he thinks its a battery but cant look at it until wednesday. I ask if they can take it to my dealer where i have an apporintment on monday and he said only if i pay for the tow. I said on my brand new truck i just paid $40k for and you wont tow it or give me a loaner car... Anyone have a phone number i can call to have my truck towed somewhere else or any ideas? thanks. I am pretty dissapointed at my new truck I have owned 4 fords and never did anything to them but change the oil etc.. and with this less than a month old truck it already died. good thing i still have my powerstroke, i am driving that now.

[**Edited by Admin**]
Old 09-11-2004, 07:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck and welcome to D/C after sale service. I to am wondering why I bought a Dodge. I should have stuck with GM. Same luck as you and Fords. Just drive them and change oil. My new 40K truck has been back to the dealer several times more often than all my past vehicles added up.
Old 09-11-2004, 09:13 PM

Man, I'm sorry to hear about the bad luck you guys have had, but I have owned Fords and Chevys and I can't say any of them were bad, but I know I love my Ram much more than any of the others I've owned. I would definately say your rigs are the exception to the rule. -Steve
Old 09-11-2004, 09:42 PM

I didn't pay close to $40k for mine. Best of luck in getting her fixed. Sounds like a couple of these guys been hanging around the diesel stop too long ....

For the guy in Phoenix, the good news is that any truck thieves will have a tough time driving it away in its current condition.
Old 09-11-2004, 09:57 PM

Sorry to here of your troubles. Just the luck of the draw. Every manufacturer out there have had problems, some major but I think more often minor. Maybe something as simple as a bad electrical connection. Hang in there I'm sure you will get it resolved. I understand your frustration when you spend the kind of $$ we do on these trucks, you expect things to be absolutely perfect. Unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world.
My last two p/u before the dodge were Fords. The f150 351 gas gave me no trouble, but only put 50,000 miles on it at 12mpg. The 250 6.9 diesel cost me plenty in repairs over 7yrs. My 2001.5 ctd has never let me down, & I wouldn't trade it straight accross for two new diesel Fords.
Good Luck & keep us posted as to what they find.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:33 PM

has anyone every seen or know what the "no bus" means?
Old 09-12-2004, 01:51 AM
Banned

Sounds like a bad computer connection.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The "Bus" is the communication circuits between all the computer modules. A problem in any one of them can sometimes cause the whole system to go down. I'm really surprised that DC would approve that your truck was towed to a Chrysler dealer....and if you want a "loaner" I would suggest getting a Chysler service contract. You would have had one no problem if you did as they'll cover 3 days rental (sometimes more if there's a prob with the truck). The last dealer I worked at had "loaners" for awile. People had no appreciation for them and they were all treated rather poorly by the customers.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:09 PM

Welcome to the site & sorry to hear all your troubles.
I wouldn't cry wolf too loud, A friend of mine special ordered a 04 Ferd 350 and it was in the shop for 6-8 weeks and all they told him was that he had to use a fuel additive to fix the problem. After they had the NAVISTAR Rep, Zone Rep & several of their top Techs work on the truck, they tell him it's bad fuel
I have to call Bull $FS on that. You can't tell me that they keep it for that long and it's only BAD fuel.
Hopefully they will figure out what it is and get it fixed ASAP and get that back on your face.
Keep us informed what it is, it will be good to know info for the future.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:15 PM

I know how you feel - see my "Belt Shredding" thread from a few weeks back.

However - my 2001 F350, bought new and meticously maintained, was towed once (and would have been twice more had I not been home and only 1 mile from the dealer), and had 3 pages of warranty issues in 3 years of ownership, and 35,000 miles. And yes, it was "in the shop" more than all my other vehicles combined.

So, the grass isn't always greener, and luck of the draw.

I will say, if I had to take a vehicle through the Outback, or Siberia, or anywhere away from civilization, where reliability could be a life or death deal, it would be in a Toyota or Honda, certainly not GM, Ford, or Dodge. Don't get me wrong, I liked my Ford truck (but didn't trust it), and I like my Dodge (but don't trust it).

Please keep us posted on what the problem is.