12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Brand new member, brand new(seasoned) truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brand new member, brand new(seasoned) truck

Hi- I'm a new member to your site. I've been on other CTD boards but just recently stumbled onto this one and decided to join because it seems like the best one to me. I currently own a beat 92 W250 which I like. However, I've been wanting a 2nd gen and contemplating the best parts configuration for some time and am now ready to pull the trigger on a 98 W350, QCLB, 12 valve, 5 speed, 280K for $6800.
I've checked the truck out and it looks good and I will probably make an offer on it. However, the NV4500 seems tired and I was wondering about the complexity of leapfrogging to a NV5600. I know it's doable -just don't know what's all involved and what problems I'll encounter.
Any info or links that have clear directions would be greatly appreciated.

And by the way, this seems like a great site and I'm looking forward to being a member. Thanks!
Old 03-13-2011, 02:43 PM

No real problems on the swap. You'll need a cross member for sure to support the different tranny. Odds are that you'll find the wiring connections are already long enough connect to the 6 speed. I think you will need a new clutch with the correct spline for the input shaft. The speedometer, t-case, and driveshafts I do not recall well enough to say.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:51 PM

Welcome to the site- it is a great place, with great people here.
Do a search- there have been a lot of posts on this swap. You should find more than enough info to guide you through. From what I have read, it seems like a pretty straightforward swap, if you have the dough to do it.
Good job finding that 98- that seems to be the holy grail of Dodge trucks. If you don't scarf it up, someone else definitely will.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:21 PM

thanks guys. Definitely excited about getting a holy grail! Although the truck isn't perfect I figure I might as well start with the ideal one before I throw a pile of money upgrading it. I'm thinkin' new tranny, total front end rebuild/upgrade, KDP and go over wiring and I should (hopefully) be fairly bulletproof. Anything I'm missing?
Old 03-14-2011, 01:12 PM

Change all the filters/fluids, then look into a company called circle track supply. They sell pre-bent brake line kits in stainless steel to replace the ones that are likely rotting under your truck. Next would be a proper set of gauges - egt and boost if you are going to upgrade the horsepower, and fuel pressure whether you upgrade or not. Vulcan makes a fuel line kit of good size line for a good value if those are going rusty too. Not long after I bought mine, one of the gas tank straps gave way. I replaced both for around $110. I have also replaced the cab lights that began to leak rain into my overhead console. Not knowing the rustiness of the truck it is hard to say what else. Next on my personal list is to replace the e-brake cables that gave up. Double check that the 4 wheel drive is engaging nicely with the vacuum motor if its a 4wd truck. It is an easy and permanent fix if its not - a posi-lock kit is a good solution. Does it have AC? Is AC important to you? The core in the cab is a bit weak, and I have replaced mine, and our shop truck still needs done. Not that tough to do, but a bit of work. Let me know if you have any other questions. Don't be scared of the truck unless it is a total rust bucket, and even then . . . it would probably be wort it.