HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Pwer steering / brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pwer steering / brakes

Alright so I pulled the screen out of the back of the power steering pump today and figured I would clean it out.

That procedure went flawless (except for the weather), cleaned the screen, re-installed, filled with fluid, a snap right?

NO, Murphy struck me again.

Now I have no powersteering and the brakes barely work, I put the truck up on jack stands went full turn to full turn while pumping the brakes, I noticed upon looking after one of the the turns I went all the way to the stop and fluid goushed out of the cap. I have a pulsation from the brakes when my foot is resting on the pedal.

The system was fine before just didn't really like to turn while doing slow maneuvers, backing up a trailer for instance.

The reservoir is full and not foaming, put a little bit in it after start up.
No groaning, moaning or anything.

Sorry for the long post, any help would be appreciated.

Jason
Old 04-03-2006, 09:44 PM

Anyone? Anyone at all?
Old 04-03-2006, 10:01 PM
I think I can... I think...

Question

Ok this may or may not work for you but this is what I did to my daughters power steering on her Toyota Corrolla several months ago and it is now running smooth as silk.
I siphoned all of the dirty fluid out and added a 50/50 mix of fresh fluid and "Howes Meaner Diesel Kleaner." I let it set for about 1/2 hr and then started it and allowed it to idle for a few minutes then I slowly turned the wheel right and left in small sweeps turning the wheel a little further each time. After doing this I pulled the fluid out and was amazed at the amount of trash floating around in the fluid. There was literally chunks floating in the fluid. I then refilled with fresh fluid turned the wheel back and forth several times, drained and repeated 3 more times to get all of the Kleaner out.
Now these are 2 different systems and I wouldn't advise doing this unless some of the more knowlegable folks here chime in with their support.
My daughters car was a 92 and I really thought the pump was trashed. I didn't figure it could hurt since I was expecting to have to replace the pump but it saved me from that.
I'm anxious to know what others think about Kleanout procedure.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:47 PM
RCW

First, never pump the brakes as it creates major problems for the antilock. When you depress the brakes repeated times, wait 15 seconds between pushes for the system to purge. It is possible to air lock the ABS controller by repeated pumping and it may be necessary for you to gravity bleed the controller to get the air out of the brake fluid if you now have a spongy pedal and/or the ABS light turns on. It may also be necessary to bleed your brake lines, again wait 15 seconds after releasing the pedal before pressing the pedal again, NEVER PUMP THEM!

Next, fill the power steering pump and loosen the pressure hose to the steering gear box just enough to make one big oily mess - I use dog wee wee training pads under the truck to absorb all the oil at this step. What you want to do is bleed the air out of the hose and get a supply of fluid to the steering gear box. Once the hose is flowing oil, tighten it enough for you to start the rig, then loosen it just enough to get it to barely spit. Keep filling the PS pump and let the system purge for 10 seconds, no more. Watch your fingers and arms, the pressure on the fluid is enough to poke a hole through your skin and create serious tissue damage. I wrap the loosened fitting with a rag to keep the mess from spraying all over the world.

Once the system has no air in the pressure hose, and the fluid is full, tighten everything and start the truck with the front wheels raised. Slowly turn the power steering from right to left and back again several times with no load on the system - just constant pressure from one two finger hand. That will purge the valves and the steering gear pump. This may take seven to ten complete lock to lock cycles to clear all the air. If it does not, loosen the return hose enough to let the air bleed away and oil to flow on the way back to the pump.

Then when that is done, make sure you fluid is full and the cap back on the pump, and then slowly depress your brake about 50 times with the engine running. Wait at least 15 seconds from each press and release before you press the brake pedal down again.

The system will purge, and you will be good to go, but check your pump oil level again, and your brake fluid level before you call it done.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:10 AM

Thanks RCW, My brake pedal is fine (not spongy)right now.

I took the truck out for a little drive to see if I could remedy the problem and nothing changed.I will try the procedure tommorow after work as I am heading of to bed for the night.

Thanks for all your input and keep it coming.

If that procedure doesn't work I guess I should order a steering pump?
Old 04-05-2006, 03:18 PM

The fluid puking out the cap is a sure sign of air in the system.Do what RCW said.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:13 PM

Just a little update, filled the system and had a buddy do a pressure check.

The system was putting out very little pressure, for some reason the pump went south, new pump will FINALLY be in on Mon. a local shop that I have good dealings with is doing all the work because I have been way to busy for me to get it done myself.

Not bad on the cost, quoted me just under 200 with the price of the pump. We will see when the bill comes final.

Thanks for all your input once again

Jason
Old 04-10-2006, 07:04 PM

Yet another update, didn't loose the power steering pump I lost the vacuum pump coupler, split right down the side just spinning on the shaft.

Reman. pump will be here Wed. then hopefully all should be well.

Man all this and the other parts are stacking up, KDP kit, turbo rebuild kit.........................................
Old 04-10-2006, 07:54 PM

http://www.fixinrams.com/id14.html You can probably get your parts here cheaper, they sell the coupler and seal kit and will do it for you or send it to you and a video to help you do it yourself.