HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

po216

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
po216

I just bought my 1999 Dodge 2500 truck about six months ago and while pulling my car trailer I noticed the dead pedal. I pulled the codes when i got home and it showed PO216. I have read some of the suggestion ya'll have gave.. But iam still not sure what to do. The truck never had a problem starting. And you can drive it about a 20 miles before the dead pedal starts.
So should i put a new lift pump in (seems to be the cheapest) or is the a aftemarket kit to fix the problem with out having to worry about VP44. What are my chances with the VP44 going out if i did just change the lift pump. Is that kit dodge makes with the fuel pump in the tank better.. any help would be great..
Old 06-22-2007, 08:55 PM

I hope you got a good deal on the truck. It was likely sold because the VP-44 is toast.

There is a very good chance that you need both a lift pump AND an Injector pump. The next step (since youve already checked for codes) is to measure the fuel pressure. There is a pressure test port on the side of the VP-44 (on the right of the VP-44 fuel inlet). There is a schraeder valve and you have to take out the inside to check the fuel pressure. You should have a minumum of 10 psi at idle and 7 psi at Wide Open Throttle. If you dont have that, its would be a very good time to upgrade you fuel system. There is literally weeks of reading on this site concerning lift pumps/injector pumps.

That should get you started.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:25 AM

What are the best upgrades and do i need to remove the lift pump or can the upgrade fix the problem. This is my first diesel I like the truck but not so sure i like all this. I guess my Question is, I know something is wrong and i am going to have to replace the lift pump. If the VP44 was broken it would not run right? If I put a upgraded lift pump like a glaicer or fass on the truck can it fix my problem. Or do i need to just put a stock lift pump back on the truck. The problem only happens when the truck gets warm and its never hard to start. I will check the fuel psi but what will that tell me. If it low does that mean it the lift pump or the vp44. Would hate to spend all that money on the VP44 and not need to.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:05 AM

Dr. Evil gave you good advice, you need to check your fuel pressure and the test port on the VP44 is the easiest way, you can use any pressure gauge, oil, water etc. But the 216 code is the death code for a VP$$. Your symptoms sound familiar to several others, runs fine, engine warms up (fuel warms up) dead peddle.

You could try an apps reset but I'd start saving pennies for a VP, and an LP solution, FASS, Walbro etc but DEFIANTLY stay away from the in-tank pump.

Good luck.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:51 AM
Registered

some people have driven as much as two years with the 0216, but sents your getting the DP also. I would say you will need one sooner than that. First get a good LP and gauge on it. And if the DP keeps coming back (i think it will) then you will have to put the IP on it. sorry
Old 06-23-2007, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
64racing:

The members here are giving you good advice. The 0216 code indicates a faulty trans circuit in the VP-44 Pump. I put two of them in my now sold 2002BOTH times it was the 0216 code.

Sorry to hear of the problems your having, but good luck on the repairs.

---------
John_P
Old 06-23-2007, 03:52 PM

Yup, these guys are all correct, I just got the same code on my truck, P0216, and my injection pump is toast. I'm getting a new one on Tuesday. Make sure you buy an IP that has been upgraded to the latest part number computer and that it has the latest part number housing. I would shy away from buying one on ebay or any other place like that, get one from a good injection shop, like bluechipdiesel.com, as a matter of fact, go to their website, there is a ton of good infomation on there. Here is a link to the info that you need to read. http://www.bluechipdiesel.com/VP44INFO.html

Also, I am going with a FASS pump because I have heard nothing but good about this pump, plus, It has a six year warranty.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:06 AM

The '99 does not have the pressure test port Schrader valve on the VP like the '01s and '02s. You can check the pressure by removing one of the plugs on top of the fuel filter. The one on the left is the one to use because it's post-filter.