HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Oil Burning problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2003, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Burning problem

I think I have a problem ??? I took a fishing trip to Idaho last weekend. I checked my oil before I left and 500 mile later when I got home I was 2 quarts low. My milage was 17 miles/gallon. I have never needed to add oil between 3000 miles oil changes. My milage has always been 19-20 miles/gallon. <br><br>What could be the problem? <br>
Old 01-10-2003, 03:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re:Oil Burning problem

This all depends upon mileage on the engine?????? could be rings or may be turbo seal pushing oil into the engine But if it is a high mileage , A quike fix { before major surgery } add a can or two of STP oil treatment not the best thing but it does work 8)
Old 01-10-2003, 03:58 PM

Did you do any serious off roading on your trip? I don't know if your engine has a breather tube like the 24v's do. When they're operated off road and steep inclines are descended, oil has been known to leak out of the tube.
Old 01-10-2003, 04:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 quarts in 500 miles? If it was burning that much oil you wouldn't see anything but blue smoke in your mirrors. I'd check for leaks first.
Old 01-10-2003, 05:30 PM

Of course, this is a long shot, but is it possible that the engine is starving for fuel because of something like a faulty overflow (backflow?) valve, or something else, and sucking oil up to use as fuel?<br>Sounds far ouit, but it is possible if you can't find any external leaks.<br>george
Old 01-10-2003, 06:26 PM

The milage is about 112000 miles. The 500 mile trip, was highway miles only. I do have a very noticeable ping when the engine is cold. (worse than the lovely ping of the diesel) Could the ping be caused by a bad injector? and could that be starving a cylinder for fuel as Smokey suggested?
Old 01-13-2003, 06:24 AM

If you have that bad high level ping, I would check the overflow valve. A broken spring sounds just like a valve and also starves the engine for fuel.
george
Old 01-13-2003, 11:24 AM

OK, First thanks to any and all that have advise. This is what I have found. 1st. no oil leaks from engine. 2nd. no oil is in the turbo. 3rd. I adjusted the valves Saturday - everything looked great. 4th. I loosened each injector, as outlined in the service manual, and checked to see if the engine speed changed on each one. It was very hard to determine, but it sounded like the ping went away or changed on injector #1. <br><br>Let me ask this question. If an injector is bad, can you tell with a visual examination? In other words if I take the injector out will I be able to determine if it is bad? Next question. Does anyone have a set of old/good original injectors for a 92,they would be willing to sell me?<br><br>Smokey - excuse my ignorance, but how do I check the spring in the Overflow valve?<br><br>Thanks again, this is the greatest web page, keep those ideas coming.<br><br>Howard
Old 01-13-2003, 10:02 PM
RCW

Howard,<br><br>I think Smokey is on to your problem being in the fuel system, via the back door. You should have a mechanical transfer pump (lift pump) on your engine, on the driver's side below your filters and fittings below and behind the injection pump. I suspect that you have a leaky seal on the crankcase side that is pulling crankcase oil into the fuel.<br><br>It will cause your fuel economy to go down the tubes, and will cause high oil consumption. Let leak too long, and you will carbon plug your injectors from the dirt out of the motor oil.<br><br>Regarding checking the injectors. Yes, if you know what to look for and have either a good magnifying glass or a scope, you can look for damage on one that has been removed. But, unless it something obvious like a burned tip, and you know what to look for if it is not, you are wasting your time pulling them out. <br><br>The valve Smokey was talking about is the fuel return line valve on the injection pump. You will see a banjo fitting and a nut assembly that connects the overflow line to the pump. I believe all the first generation engines have nonservicable overflow valves, so it would be a replacement part. If it fails, the pump will push so much fuel back to the tank that it cannot keep up with the suction line, so it then likes to pull crankcase oil from the pump actuator rod seal. If this has happened you will need both a new transfer pump and a new overflow valve. <br><br>Do not buy replacement parts from Dodge, unless you are rich. They are half price at Cummins.
Old 01-14-2003, 12:20 AM

I think you guys are on to something, however I'm Sorry, I am feeling pretty dumb by now, I looked through my service manual and can not find an overflow valve. If this is the fuel line that returns fuel from the injectors to the fuel tank, it does not seem to flow through the injector pump. Are we talking apples and apples, this is a 92 with a Bosch VE pump.<br><br>Please do not give up on me :'( <br><br>Thanks,<br>Howard<br><br>