HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

My Cummins aint right!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Cummins aint right!!!

My truck usually starts great, but last night I had to go out, she fired up fine, I shut her down for a little while and it had a helluva time startin, cranked fine just acted like it wasnt gettin fuel, well it started eventually and I drove home. This morning I had to go to do chores and it fired right up, I let it warm up and all. When I got done doing chores I left the barn and went to the local greasy spoon for breakfast, was in there probly 45 min. Came out and she wouldnt fire, cranked away but no fuel it seemed. So I quit tryin for about 5 min, enough time for another cup of coffee to calm my rage!!! Then I went back out and she fired right up, anyhow I figure I am gonna change my fuel filter today or tommorow (it's freezin rain here now) and see if that helps, but other than that any suggestions?? Maybe the fuel solenoid switch??? or whatever that things called?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tom
Old 02-06-2004, 08:59 AM

not that familiar with a 94 but i would search around for the fuel cut off selenoid i believe it is mounted on the firewall.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:16 AM

you should replace the fuel shutoff relay and clean your batters post especially the blue wire that runs to the drives side battery

foster truck has the realys for cheap
http://www.fostertruck.com/dodge/default.htm

bruce
Old 02-06-2004, 09:19 PM

It is most likely youre fuel shut-off solenoid. Look at the back side of your injector pump, and it looks like a little round black cylinder from the top. Yhen look up under it, and there will be a little rod coming out of the bottom. Next time you try to start it, and it doesent start, leave the key in the "on" position, and raise the arm up, until it holds itself up. My cousins was doing this and a new relay fixed the problem. It was about $40.

Eric
Old 02-06-2004, 10:13 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the solenoid isn't the problem, try looking at the fuel RETURN line. I just had the same problem with my 98. I could smell raw fuel once in awhile too just before the 'no-start' problem reared its ugly head, and the return line turned out to be the culprit. It wouldn't make a puddle under the truck, but it would drain the line enough so the injection pump was dry and I had to crank it over for a LOOOONG time before it would start.
Old 02-07-2004, 06:05 PM

I would start with the fuel filter, pre heater screen, fuel lines, battery on drivers side the blue wire,the over flow valve does get weak, then check the relay, and then the fuel solenoid as they do get dirty and the boots get holes and ragged and will hang up. The fuel shutoff solenoids are expensive, close to $200, big&bad gave you the best place to check on relays, hoses, and hopefully not a solenoid, as far as the pre heater screen go to cummins not dodge. Goodluck,,, Rick
Old 02-07-2004, 07:35 PM
Bio

Fuel cutoff solenoid relay, It sounds like what happened to me. I have a '99, and I was able to switch the Air conditioner relay with the fuel cutoff relay, and that solved the problem. Then I could drive the 260 miles to the nearest Dodge dealer that had the relay and replace it.