HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

major problems please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation major problems please help

i went to start my truck this morning and it fired right like normal and then the air bag light came on and then the abs light came on and the all the guages died and then the odometer blinked 3 times and said no bus and then the check engine light came on. i turned the key on and off 3 times to try to get the codes but i would not work this time so i did a guage check by holding the reset down for 3 seconds after turning the key and i got codes 900 920 921 940 950 999 and i cant find out what the codes mean not even the dealership knew what the codes where
Old 02-07-2007, 09:05 PM

Talking

It would probably help everyone to reply if you filled out your signature or at least let us know what year & options on your truck!
Old 02-07-2007, 09:51 PM

Sorry my truck is a 2000 ram 3500 24 valve
Old 02-08-2007, 04:19 AM
Chapter President

...doesn't sound good

You might try to disconnect the batteries and re-make all the grounds to the ECM, leave the batt's disconnected for a few hours, then try again? Good luck, keep up informed of your success!

Rauschbo
Old 02-08-2007, 09:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So the truck runs but no dashboard?
Old 02-08-2007, 02:06 PM

yes the truck runs but lost all gagues and all the warning light came on. i just had a new transfer pump and injection pump put on and as soon as i did this the transmission started acting up around 32 - 35 mph it was doing something back and forth but i could not tell what i don't think it was shifting maby getting ready to and i just had the transmission serviced by the dealer they did a flush and readjusted the bands and said the transmission looked great and it is a rebuit transmisson with only about 30000 miles on it so they said that it was probally a ground or something that was effecting the transmission and then all these electrical problems happened with in a few day of this so i dont know what is going on i hope it is a ground or something simple has any one herd of or experencied this sort of thing?
Old 02-08-2007, 05:02 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Did you go over all the ground wires with a fine comb? Sounds like some intermitting ground connection to me, might be in the vicinity of the inj. pump sinnce the troubles started then...
Old 02-08-2007, 05:05 PM

Your problem sounds very similiar to one a member experienced not so long ago: recent work done to truck (think it was for an auto tranny?) and dashboard died. Also, I think there's a very short list of what could be wrong to cause that - do a search and you should find what you need.

Wish I could help more, but I can't recall clearly enough to give you accurate info!
Old 02-08-2007, 06:30 PM

i checked one of the engine grounds i traced it back from the driverside battary and it was all covered in oil i took it off and cleaned but i didnt solve the problems. where the injection pump mounts on or where they put on a plate where the old transfer pump went is possible it could be leaking oil there my truck has never leaked any oil befor this all this
Old 02-08-2007, 11:13 PM

when the dealer checks out my truck are the able to check the computers to see if they are even bad i dont want to have to replace them if it is something simple like a bad ground and they just cant find it
Old 02-09-2007, 08:06 AM

If the "no bus" issue is present at the time they look at it.....and IF they are familiar with the diag for that issue they should be able to find it. The "bus" is the communication path between all the modules on the truck (abs, acm, otis, cluster, pcm, ecm). A problem in any of these modules, some of their inputs, or wiring can cause this issue. It can often be an expensive needle in the haystack to find, but it helps when the problem stays "no bus" to diag. Often it's intermittant.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:09 AM

Maybe some of this info will help you if you want to do some checking yourself.

Code 900, The CCD data bus is not operational: check the CCD data bus connections at the cluster, check the cluster fuses, check the CCD data bus bias, check the CCD data bus voltage, check the CCD daga bus terminatons.

Code 920, The cluster is not receiving a vehicle speed message from the PCM:

Code 921, The cluster is not receiving a distance pulse message from the PCM:

Code 940, The cluster is not receiving an airbag lamp-on message from the ACM:

Code 950, The cluster is not receiving an ABS lamp-on message from the CAB:

Code 999, An error has been discovered:

I didn't write out the "correction" procedure for the codes, 'cause I'm too slow typing, and you may not want all that information.

I had a similar problem with my truck a few weeks ago. Same codes, my speedometer didn't work, windows didn't work, overhead console didn't work, and a couple of other things. ABS light on, air bag light on.....

I discovered the wires coming from the brake/park light had been spliced onto several times. The PO cobbled it up pretty good. One of the 6 wires coming out of the plug going to the brake light was not connected. When he added the trailer brake module he REALLY didn't know what he was doing. I ended up going to a salvage yard and personally removing the 6 wire plug and wiring up as high as I could get and rewired the entire set up.

I would remove the molding down by your knees and start looking to see a loose connection. (I gently tugged on the wire I took out and one of the butt connectors was "just for looks" barely making any connections). Push on any connections to see it they are not tight.

I went to the local dealer to pick up a new brake switch and asked the serv. mgr. if he had a tech. who was good with wiring. He said, "No." I said thanks and went on!

If you can not get it figured out, the guys who seem to be the best with that type of wiring are the guys who install aftermarket alarm and stereo systems. They spend their day there and are very familiar with these simple, hard to find wiring situations.

First off, check cluster fuses, ACM fuse, CAB fuse. That's what the book says. Good luck, and be patient!!!!
Old 02-09-2007, 09:37 AM

i also noticed that the heated seat will not come on and all of these problems started happening all at once as soon as i had the injection pump installed
Old 02-09-2007, 02:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Electrical problems are more difficult to find but easier to fix than the mechanical ones. First off, check all fuses on both panels, dash and under the hood. Check them with a meter, sometimes you can't tell if a fuse if blown. If you have another electric malfunction, there are good chances you will find a blown fuse or fusible link.
-P
Old 02-09-2007, 03:47 PM

i just herd back from dodge and they said that the ctm (central timing module) was what went out and that is what caused the transmission problems the ccd on the overhead console and the dead gauges on the instrument panel and it was about $620.oo