HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

how do I purge air from fuel system

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do I purge air from fuel system

I managed to air lock my 24 valve 2001 Cummins. I had water in fuel, and apparently drained to much and didn't read the manual aboput bumping the starter. So am now air locked. I did fill the filter housing with fuel, but the ring didn't seal good and allowed more air in. So it started momentarily, but that was it. I now have a new filter and O ring, but have a feeling I need to purge the air out of the lines. How, do I go about doing this?
Old 03-09-2003, 07:59 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Re:how do I purge air from fuel system

BobP- I assume your lift pump is good.If this doesn't work chances are good that your lift pump is shot.<br><br>Step 1: Mount fuel filter<br>Step2: Open banjo bolt on the line from the filter to the inj.pump.<br>Step3: Have somebody turn the key or bump the starter to have the lift pump running- do so until you get pure fuel out of the banjo.<br>Step4: Tighten banjo<br>Step5: crack open 1 injector line at the head <br> <br>Be CAREFUL- this step involves HIGH PRESSURE DIESEL <br>Bump starter again until fuel comes out of the injector line.<br>Tighten injector line<br><br>Step6: Attempt to start, not longer than for 15secs, let starter cool and repeat.<br><br>HTH<br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 03-09-2003, 08:30 AM

Hello Bob, We air locked my sons changing the fuel filter not to long ago on his 2001. You can remove the fuel filter and fill and reinstall (it takes a 1 1/8 socket) if the filter assembly is dry.Turn on the key until you hear the lift pump, if no noise bump the starter until you hear the lift pump. Follow the fuel line down from the bottom of the fuel filter to the injection pump, you will see a black cap that looks like a air valve stem. This is the schrader valve take the cap off and depress the valve like you would be letting air out of a tire until fuel flows. Shut off ignition and restart cranking hard to allow any remaining air to pass thru the injectors. We only had to let the air out of the schrader valve to restart. Hope this helps
Old 03-09-2003, 12:59 PM

I will try the shrader valve approach. I believe the lift pump is OK, as I heard it running after I bumped the starter. I am assuming that I try to release the air while the lift pump is running.
Old 03-09-2003, 02:02 PM

Ureka!, I got it running. I bled the shrader valve, and also had to remove the fuel line to the #1 injector, but that got it going. Thank's for the help
Old 03-10-2003, 07:51 AM

Hello Bob, Well I am glad to hear you got it started, It sure sends a bit of panic when it dies.My sons 2001 always gives us trouble. My 2001 has no problems when I drain or change the filter. Good luck on future filter changes.
Old 03-10-2003, 03:48 PM

tombonnieb: <br><br>Maybe a stupid question: Did you check the lift pump on your sons truck? <br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 03-10-2003, 07:43 PM

That is a good question, my sons truck is still under warranty so I will have him check it out at the dealer. We have changed his twice it hesitated the first time and the second time it air locked. I will share the info with him. Thanks
Old 03-10-2003, 10:23 PM

I had the same problem and found the bypass vale fell out inside the lift pump!! The pump sounded fine but wouldn't build pressure to save itself. I put a new lift pump on and found it would flow a fair amount of fuel out of the shrader valve and once that was done she started right up.<br><br><br>I will bet money the lift pump is junk.<br><br>Jason
Old 03-13-2003, 03:08 AM

Scubasteve: <br><br>My liftpump had the same problem. The valve was gone. So I had sound but no pressure. Now I have a Holley blue in the frame rail.. ;D<br><br>AlpineRAM