HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Hi-Beam always on!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 12:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi-Beam always on!

Hello,

Last night I deciced to try and replace a burnt out bulb in my instrument cluster (easy job)... After removing the cluster and replacing the parking brake light bulb, and cleaning the contacts on the switch i noticed that my high beam indicator was illuminated on the instrument cluster. Also, my high beams were on!

I figure I must have wiggled something during the disassembly of the instrument cluster.

However after disconnecting the multi-function switch on the steering column, and disconnecting the headlight switch the high beams are still on. The high beams are still on, even with the key out of the ignition!

The only way I can turn them off is to pull the fuse in the power distribution center in the engine compartment.

I have the Haynes manual, but I find the electrical wiring diagrams difficult to follow. I have attempted to trace the wires that lead from the fuse in the power distribution center to the main wiring harness that runs alongside the driver side front fender, and then it goes through the firewall into the cab.

There is no signs of wearing or chaffing of wires that would cause a circuit... WHAT THE edited by admin IS GOING ON HERE!

I sheepishly admit that I had the batteries connected when I was removing the instument cluster, a no-no, I know. Could this have damaged a circuit when I was reconnecting it?

Has this ever happened to you?

Does anybody have a better wiring diagram that they could send me?

Thanks in advance,
Sean.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The daytime running light module for your truck is no good. (Canadian models only) You can just unplug the connector going to the module and your highbeams and the indicator light will go off. The downside is you will have no daytime running lights (no big deal) and your highbeam indicator light will no longer work. The headlights will however work normally.

The module is a box mounted on the drivers side front fender under the hood. It has one fairly large connector. Unplug the connector and you are good to go. I drove my truck like that for 2 years till I decided to go to the dealer and buy a new module. I think it was around $120 CDN at the dealer.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:49 PM
Banned

Just curious, but do the Canadian trucks have separate physical running lights or does the DRL just turn on the low beams? Both my 96 and 02 Sububans had DRLs. The 96 used the low beams but the 02 had a completely separate light assembly for the DRLs. Just wondering what Dodge did.
THanks
Old 02-16-2007, 09:02 PM

Dodge uses the low beam for DRL's, I believe it is reduced to about 60% of low beam strength.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:18 AM

Actually they use the high beams at reduced voltage for the DRL.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:34 PM

Exactly what sidewinder said. unplug it, the module...... or it will over heat the harness and melt things down. my DRL module calved 2-3 months ago. the headlights work fine (High&Low) with the module unpluged, but you just don't have DRL (obvioulsy) and the highbeam indicator does not work unless you jump 2 of the pins in the plug. you can leave it as is or replace the module.

but unplug it ASAP! if its fryed, the highbeams won't go off and the highbeam dash light will be dimly glowing. I couldn't even get my headlight to turn off after I turned the truck off when my module went.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for all the great replies... with a little frantic research here on this site I was able to determine that it was my DRL module. Unplugging it solved the problem. This is the second time in my life that a little black box of electronics that I don't understand fully has caused me grief.

I think I can manage to turn my lights on "all-by-myself" from now on instead of shelling out ~120$-150$ for a new little black box.

I tried to jumper the plug as many have suggested to make the high-beam indicator on the dash function properly, but I followed a photograph from someone on this site and it didn't work correctly (ack! Smoking wires!). I think he may have had a different model year.

Many thanks to Brian (fellow Vancouver truck owner), who actually gave me a call!

Thanks, Sean.