HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

fuel in oil i think

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just talked to the service manager at cummins, he wants to remove the supply and return line and put in a bucket run the truck for about five min and then let it sit overnight.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:32 AM

Just spoke with the service manager at cummins. He wants to place the supply and return line in a bucket of fuel run the truck for about five mins then let sit overnight AGAIN. I have mentioned the fuel injectors leaking , he says this can't be because I don't get any white smoke and engine runs perfect after it gets prime.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:48 AM

I just spoke with the service manager at cummins. He wants to place the supply and return lines in a bucket of fuel AGAIN to try and eliminate engine or fuel lines. I have mentioned that the injectors could be leaking or a bad injector. He say it can't be that because I don't get any white smoke and engin runs perfect after it is primed. this is getting old. gonna do the test here myself.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:00 AM

Sorry I posted the same thing three times. I didn't see the other replies anymore and didn't think they were getting up. Just realized we were on pg 2
Old 02-22-2011, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you tried bumping the starter about 3 times and letting the lift pump prime the system before you try to start it? If you are loosing prime, you can do this and it should take all the air back to the tank and then you can start it with out having to open the inj lines.
There is also a T near the firewall where the fuel returns from the head and meets with the vp44 return line. It can leak air into the system. although this would not cause fuel in the oil.
I still think it could be cross over tubes. That is the only other place it can get fuel in the oil besides the vp
Old 02-22-2011, 10:36 AM

Diesel lady, thank-you for your response. They have not checked the crossover tubes. The techs at cummins say they have thefurl in oil problem fixed . they changed a bad shaft seal on the vp. However the truck lost prime overnight. I do bump the starter several times to get it to crank but it still turns over excessively before it fires. I've had this truck since it was new and have never had these type of prob. gonna run the truck out of a bucket today and let it sit overnight and see if it will stay primed. Once again, I really appreciate everyone's suggestions, I think I may need another shop
Old 02-22-2011, 12:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would run my hand back to the T and check to see if it is wet. They have a metal T with rubber seals at the connections. It is possible to have them draw in air if the rubber is starting to get old. Just a thought. ;D
Old 02-22-2011, 12:33 PM

Is there a test I can do on the oil to see if there is fuel present. Currently the fuel line are in a bucket to see if truck loses prime overnight
Old 02-22-2011, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by BIG SHANE
Is there a test I can do on the oil to see if there is fuel present. Currently the fuel line are in a bucket to see if truck loses prime overnight
a quick easy way is to pull the dip stick and put a few drip spots on a piece of clean copy paper and let it sit over night.

do the same thing to any other car or truck to another piece of paper.

If you have furel present the drip spots will grow considerably as the fuel is thinner than oil and will leach out to a larger spot. Using another car as a reference helps you know how much is "normal" As a side statement, all diesel oil will have trace amounts of fuel in it as it is the nature of the diesel engine to get blow by until it is warm and all of the forged components swell with heat. If your drip spot grows 2 or 3 times then you have fuel in the oil and need to determine where it is coming from. Good luck.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:06 PM

Thank you 200cs I will go do that right away I've already got one overnight test now I have two. Killing two birds with one stone!