HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

fuel in oil i think

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation fuel in oil i think

Hey guys, I'm new here but I've got several serious problems. Right now my truck has been in the shop for 2 1/2 weeks, they can't seem to fix it. It will not stay primed up after sitting for several hours. I also just noticed I had oil leaking every where. So I checked the oil it was unusually clean and overfull. The tech at the shop said it had give vp44 shaft seal. Any ideas? Thanx
Old 02-18-2011, 02:52 PM

Other than the shaft seal on the vp44, is there any other WUz to get fuel in the oil? I'm stuck in Alabama tryin to get home to fl please any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanx again
Old 02-18-2011, 03:26 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Shane,
I am pretty sure the first thing everyone is going to ask is what year, make and model of truck and what mods
Old 02-18-2011, 03:37 PM

Sorry, 1998.5 DODGE RAM 2500 5.9 liter no mods all stock 4X4. Like I said I'm new to this. I bought the truck new with only 6 miles on it never had any problems like this. Have replaced lift pump several times and injection pump several times due to bad lift pump. Had hard startin problems so I changed the lift pump no help. The truck is at a cummins shop, it seems they Jst want to change parts till they get it right.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:20 PM

sounds like you have a bad injector
Old 02-18-2011, 04:21 PM

what part of al. are you in
Old 02-18-2011, 04:49 PM

Cola Alabama, don't think it could be an injector cause when its running there is loss of power. It find great once its primed up, but oil is clean and oil level rises
Old 02-18-2011, 04:59 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Add fuel dye and diesel fuel to an approved five gallon fuel container. Route the fuel return and transfer pump supply line into the approved container of fuel and dye. Start the engine and let it idle. Check for leaks at the fuel injectors and behind VP44 fuel injection pump nut access plug. WARNING: THE FUEL INJECTION PUMP SUPPLIES EXTREMELY HIGH FUEL PRESSURE TO EACH INDIVIDUAL INJECTOR THROUGH THE HIGH-PRESSURE LINES. FUEL UNDER THIS AMOUNT OF PRESSURE CAN PENETRATE THE SKIN AND CAUSE PERSONAL INJURY. WEAR SAFETY GOGGLES AND ADEQUATE PROTECTIVE CLOTHING. DO NOT LOOSEN FUEL FITTINGS WHILE ENGINE IS RUNNING. Remove valve cover and check if fuel dye is found around the injectors, remove the suspect injector and inspect the injector, injector bore and injector O-Ring for damage. If fuel is dye is found around the VP44 fuel injection pump drive gear nut the VP44 fuel injection pump front seal is leaking and the pump must be replaced.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:06 PM

Lady night I was there when we did that same test. There was no evidence of dye around injecter. There was however very very light traces around the shaft seal on vp44 the deal is around $20 am o wasting time and money replacing the seal. The seal had no apparent signs of west and the dye was almost not visible in the light
Old 02-18-2011, 05:18 PM

My typing is awful,n e way the seal is about $20 am I wasting time and money
Old 02-18-2011, 09:18 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
the injector(s) aren't leaking on the outside where you can see it. They are dripping fuel when the engine is off. That fuel weeps past the pistons and into the oil. You really need to not be driving it. Severely diluted oil will not properly lube internal engine parts and it will self destruct. You need all the injectors pulled, tested and repaired as needed. Your chasing a hog trail with the turbo.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did they check the crossover tubes that lead from the injector pump to the injector? From the point that the fuel line runs into the block, to the side of the injector is a crossover tube that may be leaking into the rocker area. That would definitely cause a leak down of prime and also fuel in the oil.
Just a thought!
Old 02-20-2011, 12:49 PM

I don't think they have checked the crossover tubes. Or tested the injectors I'll bring these ideas up Mon morning
Old 02-22-2011, 06:27 AM

Is there anybody on the forum in that area, that can help him? It appears that the shop he is using isn't the help that he needs.
Big Shane, are they receptive to your suggestions? If they are, than this forum will be a big help to you. At this point, I would listen closely to what the posters are telling you, and convey it back. It appears that members here know more about the Cummins in a Dodge than your shop does.
By the way, a big welcome to you, and this is just the start. There are tons of good and helpful folks here, and a cumulative amount of wisdom that will stagger the mind. Hope you get back on the road fast and cheap!
Old 02-22-2011, 07:56 AM

My truck was at cummins. I got it back yesterday afternoon. It must still be losing prime, turned it over about 15 times this morning before it started. Guess I'm still stuck in Creola, ALABAMA.

Quick Reply: fuel in oil i think