General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Think your fuel is clean enough? THINK AGAIN.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 09:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Think your fuel is clean enough? THINK AGAIN.

An interesting thing came across my desk at the World Headquarters of Horsepower (Columbus, IN).

Bosch has completely changed the way they specify fuel cleanliness standards. It used to be that fuel had to be filtered to X nominal micron at 98.7 efficiency per applicable SAE test. It turns out that even "clean" fuel is causing accelerated wear in modern fuel injection systems.

Instead the new standard actually COUNTS the number of particles in a given sample of 100mL of fuel. Specs are given in three numbers: the number of particles smaller than 4micron, the number of particles where 4<x<6 micron, and then again at 6<x<8 micron.

Bosch wants a spec of 12/9/6. Meaning, in 100mL of fuel, it can't have more than 12 particles 4 micron or smaller, 9 particles between 4 and 6 micron, and 6 particles between 6 and 8 micron.

Larger particles aren't counted because it's assumed that any filtration setup that can meet these counts has essentially zero particles over 8 micron.

To put this in perspective, here is how it would play out in a little word picture. Imagine you have a square swimming pool that's 10 feet deep and 100feet on each side. You cannot have more than 12 particles up to .012inches in size, no more than 9 up to .018 inches, and no more than 6 up to .024 inches.

I don't know about you, but I know that if I had a pool that size, it wouldn't be THAT clean!

Suffice it to say, almost every filtration setup that's out there now that filters to a nominal 7 micron (even at high efficiency) would fail to meet the new Bosch specs.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What makes it affect the newer diesel more than the older ones? Tighter clearances in the pump in order to make higher pressures?
Old 06-25-2008, 02:31 AM

does bosch have any recommendations on how to achieve 'super filtration'?
Old 06-25-2008, 03:11 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my stock filter filters at 10micron. I wanted better, so I added another filter from permacool that filters down to 2 micron when I bought the truck.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:17 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually there can be a lot more then single digit count of particles. See chart below. A 12/9/6 rating would be more like 2000/250/32 count.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:45 AM

Dieselcraft makes a centrifuge for filtering fuel and also crankcase oil .

http://www.dieselcraft.com/
Old 06-25-2008, 08:05 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
No worries, filtering the fuel to 2 micron & oil bypass to 2 micron. With the injectors on the CR failing due to junk in the fuel you couldn't go wrong installing added filtration. I've installed about 30 of these filtration systems and have yet to have someone complain. Just watch your fuel psi. Trash in your fuel can be the demise of any pump.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, this makes me feel good about having the GDP Walbro pump with big line kit and 2 micron filter.

I would assume that this set up would be enough to accomplish what Hohn is saying. My fuel is "strained" before going thru the pump....then on to the stock filter housing which has a 7 or 10 micron filter....and then to the 2 micron remote GDP kit filter.......before going to the cp3. I don't know what I could do to clean it any more? Would 2 inline, separate, 2 micron filters help?

Old 06-25-2008, 05:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
THank you Andy-- my first post is in gross error because I forgot about the conversion and that the numbers weren't literal.

I guess I need to pay closer attention to the ppt shows I'm sent-- I've been drinking from a firehose (so to speak) for almost a month, so I'm not doing so well at remembering important details.

Wedding anniversary? What wedding anniversary?

Originally Posted by CamperAndy
Actually there can be a lot more then single digit count of particles. See chart below. A 12/9/6 rating would be more like 2000/250/32 count.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:15 AM

Super Filtration is great but what about winter? The smaller the micron the easier to Jell. These newer injectors can be shot after Jelling 1 time
I hope they are working on a Super fuel heater to go along
Old 06-26-2008, 05:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RAMRODD
Super Filtration is great but what about winter? The smaller the micron the easier to Jell. These newer injectors can be shot after Jelling 1 time
I hope they are working on a Super fuel heater to go along
Sorry "Jell point" of fuel has nothing to do with the particulate dirt load.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:20 AM

Sorry "Jell point" of fuel has nothing to do with the particulate dirt load.
Trust me in the real world it does My neighbors have nothing but problums keeping their new John Deere tractors tractors running in Sub temps. The fuel filters keep jelling on them. The only thing that changed is the micron on the fuel filter is I do believe a 5. Guess what happened when a cheap Jobber filter with a micron of 10 was installed, thats right no more jelling.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RAMRODD
Trust me in the real world it does My neighbors have nothing but problums keeping their new John Deere tractors tractors running in Sub temps. The fuel filters keep jelling on them. The only thing that changed is the micron on the fuel filter is I do believe a 5. Guess what happened when a cheap Jobber filter with a micron of 10 was installed, thats right no more jelling.
And the reason the 10 micron does not plug up is the fuel is being passed to the pump and the injectors as it is not cold enough for the cold wax crystals to agglomerate and grow in size big enough to be trapped. With the 5 micron filter it is being trapped in the filter as it has gotten cold enough for them to grow to the point that they obstruct flow.

Your buddy needs to modify his fuel mix to add more pour point depressants or cut his #2 with some kerosene for the same effect.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:24 AM

And the reason the 10 micron does not plug up is the fuel is being passed to the pump and the injectors as it is not cold enough for the cold wax crystals to agglomerate and grow in size big enough to be trapped. With the 5 micron filter it is being trapped in the filter as it has gotten cold enough for them to grow to the point that they obstruct flow.

Your buddy needs to modify his fuel mix to add more pour point depressants or cut his #2 with some kerosene for the same effect.
That is my point the 10 micron filter works better in the winter then the 5 micron. So particulate dirt load of a filter is a Jell factor.
So the answer is to buy #1 diesel at a .40-.50 cent premium over #2 plus loose fuel economy and power Not a option for me, I havent run a gallon of #1 for over 5 years and I live in ND.
If the manufacture like Bosch thinks the fuel needs to be cleaned better who am I to disagree, but I hope they are smart enough to demand a Fuel heater to help prevent jelling.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by HOHN
An interesting thing came across my desk at the World Headquarters of Horsepower (Columbus, IN).

Bosch has completely changed the way they specify fuel cleanliness standards. It used to be that fuel had to be filtered to X nominal micron at 98.7 efficiency per applicable SAE test. It turns out that even "clean" fuel is causing accelerated wear in modern fuel injection systems.

Instead the new standard actually COUNTS the number of particles in a given sample of 100mL of fuel. Specs are given in three numbers: the number of particles smaller than 4micron, the number of particles where 4<x<6 micron, and then again at 6<x<8 micron.

Bosch wants a spec of 12/9/6. Meaning, in 100mL of fuel, it can't have more than 12 particles 4 micron or smaller, 9 particles between 4 and 6 micron, and 6 particles between 6 and 8 micron.

Larger particles aren't counted because it's assumed that any filtration setup that can meet these counts has essentially zero particles over 8 micron.

To put this in perspective, here is how it would play out in a little word picture. Imagine you have a square swimming pool that's 10 feet deep and 100feet on each side. You cannot have more than 12 particles up to .012inches in size, no more than 9 up to .018 inches, and no more than 6 up to .024 inches.

I don't know about you, but I know that if I had a pool that size, it wouldn't be THAT clean!

Suffice it to say, almost every filtration setup that's out there now that filters to a nominal 7 micron (even at high efficiency) would fail to meet the new Bosch specs.
is that the specs for a new system or is that what they're saying for the current hpcr?

Quick Reply: Think your fuel is clean enough? THINK AGAIN.