HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Bad front Hub Bearing??

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 04:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear that. At least you learned something about how these hubs/rotors are installed on your rig. I spent 2 days on mine and fortunately had only difficulty getting the axle nut off. Well....I also had to redo the right side again because I mixed up the rotors.

Hang in there you'll get it done...then you'll be a vetern at it and help other guys. You never know what is involved till you get in there and try it yourself. Get your anti-seize on that hub and blue locktite the bolts. Be carefull with the axle shaft.

Good job so far. Here's to a fast repair on the next try. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Edit: If you ever need to do the rotors you'll have an easier go since everything will be anti-seized.

Dave
Old 02-09-2008, 05:02 PM

Might be a good idea to order some replacement bolts in case you mess some up. I'd get them from the dealer.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just put u-joints at the ends of my axles and had to pull the hubs to get at them, A cutting torch was my lifesaver The axle nut got heated as well as the side of the hub be sure to watch the flame from burning the ABS sensor and the ball joints. I found that mapp gas didnt get things hot enough after the side of the hub was heated for a good 5 min. start hitting the sid eof the hub with a 4 lb. sledge as well as using a large hub puller. Good luck this job is a real pain my drivers side took 8 hr. but after I got the hang of it the other side only took 2..
Old 02-13-2008, 08:13 AM

It's done! After two sockets breaking and a breaker bar! I was going to blame the lousy Craftsman stuff then I broke a snap on socket. Anyway lesson learned! When you are attempting to remove one of these bearings you must use a 14mm 12 point universal impact socket with the apropriate extension and impact gun. and I would also recamend using a one inch drive 1/11/16 socket
when you take the hub nut off with a three foot pice of black iron pipe for an assist. Either way the truck repair shop would charge you a whole lot of dough to do these things! So jump in and go for it! It's only nut's and bolts as one of my Mentors used to say.........
Old 02-13-2008, 10:17 AM

Great job.

Good to see you finally got it done. It sure gave you some trouble.

Did you have trouble with both sides axle nuts and hubs? Did you have trouble with the axle shafts falling and are they leaking a little. If thery are leaking leave them go for a few weeks and they might seal back up.

Did you replace rotors and pads?
Old 02-14-2008, 03:24 PM

Hey Dave,
No I ended up buying two rotors but only doing one side because the drivers side was near perfect and that coupled with an impending snow and ice storm changed my mind. Besides I did not have another bearing and the way the passenger side was rusted together I'm quite sure I would have ruined it changing the rotor. I also had know trouble at all with the axles popping out because I was ready for that thanks to you. Oh Dave meant to ask you wheres Awahnee California?? Is it South or up North??

Thanks again for all your help Dave Much appreciated!!
Old 02-14-2008, 03:34 PM

awesome write up dave im glad to see you talk about that axle nut torque alot of people say to teat them like a regula wheel bearing WRONG ive done it ive done this 3 times on my 94 and got fast and faster and on the third time i accidentally tore the seal on the short side guess that makes 4 lol i replaced those seals thats a chore too good job guys i love the comradery on this site
Old 02-15-2008, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by schoust
Hey Dave,
No I ended up buying two rotors but only doing one side because the drivers side was near perfect and that coupled with an impending snow and ice storm changed my mind. Besides I did not have another bearing and the way the passenger side was rusted together I'm quite sure I would have ruined it changing the rotor. I also had know trouble at all with the axles popping out because I was ready for that thanks to you. Oh Dave meant to ask you wheres Awahnee California?? Is it South or up North??Thanks again for all your help Dave Much appreciated!!
Ahwahnee is about 50 miles North/East of Fresno (follow Hwy 41 North...Ahwahnee is 7 miles NE of Oakhurst on Hwy 49) in the Sierra Nevada mountain range and about 10 miles South of Yosemite Nat'l Park. Fresno is in whats called Central Calif. (specifically the Central San Yaoquin Valley...a big agricultural farming area) in about the center of the state toward the Eastern side. We are at about 2400 ft elevation.

Glad to see you tackled a tough job that a shop would have cost you mucho bucks to do. When you get ready to do the other side you will be prepared for it.

Good job
Old 03-07-2008, 09:14 PM

Axle seals....

I am going to the above. I finally started tonight and got the big axle nuts off in about ten minutes using a 3/4" drive set from Craftsman. I have all most all of the parts with the exception of the passengers side hub which is toast. I did pick up new axle seals just in case something goes wrong. However when I picked up the seals they were no the same. One is about 1/2" thick and one is about 1 1/4'. Is this normal?