Axle seal passenger Side Dana 60 - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Go Back  Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums > Emergency! > HELP!
Reload this Page >

Axle seal passenger Side Dana 60

HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Axle seal passenger Side Dana 60

Old 04-07-2005, 07:54 AM

Question Axle seal passenger Side Dana 60

A question for all you Dana Guru's out there,

Is it possible to put the passenger side axle seal in, Just by removing the axle and the 4X4 actuator fork? Or do you have to pull the carrier out? I just did The Ball joint from HEL* Job ,And ended up having to do the passenger side twice because of a defective ball joint that would NOT take grease.,, Now I think My axle seal is starting to seep,,, It my just be some fluid coming out from removing the axle (wishful thinking). Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Bob
Old 04-07-2005, 08:41 AM

I would wait a few days to see if it just the fluid in the tube. I had my axle out to do a U joint and it left me thinking the seal let go. It dried up in a week and never came back. Fluid level stayed good.
Bob
Old 04-07-2005, 10:11 AM

Bob is right I've seen some take over 500 miles for the fluid that got past the seal into the tube to finally drain out. The seal can also deform if the axle is allowed to hang in a position other than normal but will return to it's original shape after a while.
Also make sure your fluid is only filled to Dana's recommended level, 3/4" below the fill hole. To fill it to the bottom of the hole is a recipe for a leak and will also cause the differential to run hotter.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:31 AM

Re: Axle seal passenger Side Dana 60

Originally posted by Truckman
A question for all you Dana Guru's out there,

Is it possible to put the passenger side axle seal in, Just by removing the axle and the 4X4 actuator fork? Or do you have to pull the carrier out? I just did The Ball joint from HEL* Job ,And ended up having to do the passenger side twice because of a defective ball joint that would NOT take grease.,, Now I think My axle seal is starting to seep,,, It my just be some fluid coming out from removing the axle (wishful thinking). Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Bob
To answer your question, yes it is possible. You have to rig up a puller of sorts with some allthread and appropiate plates and pull the seal into place from the outside of the diff. There's another recent thread that mentions a website called Quad4x4. There's a picture of a puller setup there. It's tricky getting the seal started straight and you have to work on the thin side of the seal (ie. backwards from a regular seal installation). It very easy to bend the seal. I had to do mine twice.

As Bill and Bob said though, wait a while. It may stop leaking on it's own. You could also take the CAD housing off and check to see if the spring on the seal popped off. Good luck. They're a PITA to change.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:17 PM
RCW

Should you have to change the seal, the puller and driver kit and new seals, along with a video instruction tape is available from these guys: http://www.quad4x4.com/Dodge%20Frt%2...Axle_Seal_Kits

Having the proper puller and installer will save you a ton of frustration.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:24 PM

Old 04-08-2005, 07:22 PM

Thanks for all your replies, I just got back from Vermont Skiing for a couple of days. I checked the level in Vermont and it seemed OK,, So I am going to wait a little while and see if the seeping stops. But if I have to replace it I will do it thought the 4 wheel drive actuator access. I just replaced all the Ball joints and it is so nice not hearing all that Clunking up front.

Thanks for all your help.