24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Passenger side stub axle?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Passenger side stub axle?

Hey All,

So today I am preparing for my trip across country and trying to do some preventative maintenance. I go in for a computerized alignment and tire rotation. Turns out my right upper ball joint is a bit lose and they will not do an alignment... so being as I have to leave so soon I go ahead and let them do it. In the mean time, the mechanic manages to strip the threads on the passenger side stub shaft, completely tangling the cotter pin, and ruining the nut holding on the stub shaft. So basically I have a problem ... they say this part may be really hard to locate (it's a dana 60 aint it??!! How can this be hard), but I have to drive across country tomorrow and got to get this done as fast as I can. Dodge dealer was closed when he did this so I have to wait til tomorrow, his part sources didn't have it in stock. I'm thinking of raiding the junk yards tomorrow unless they find the part. So I have a couple of questions:

1) Is the stub shaft out of a 98.5 dodge 2500 front passenger side hard to find? Seems like a part like this would be common... I guess they don't break.

2) How the hell do you strip this? Is this something common, should I be asking for them to cover the costs? (He said it was too rusted, I said then why the heck did you try and take it off if you weren't sure of the out come.). I basically went in for an alignment ended up with a stranded truck with a stripped stub shaft.

Thanks,

Bob_24VCTD
Old 07-25-2008, 12:25 AM

Dosen't happen allot, but it does occur. Last time I heard some price one from the dealer, it was close to $400. He found one in a junk yard for $100.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:05 AM

Kind of sounds like the mech was beating on it to get your unit-bearing loose. Those things can be hell to get out when they've been in there a while if not prepped. You might want to keep an eye on that side for an oil leak, either from play in your ball joint which will let the axle ride up and down and wear the axle seal out, or him beating on it to the same effect.

I replaced all four ball joints on mine when I first got it and if he's a professional mechanic, which I'm not, and I didn't strip mine, it's his fault and they should foot the bill. That's why you paid them, they're supposed to know what they're doing. Good luck.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:51 AM

Bob_24VCTD, What part of the country are you in? Round here the road salt can eat plenty of metal by the time you put as wrench on it.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:06 AM

I agree about the corrosion, I live right next to the Gulf of Mexico where everything rusts. Even seen brand new trucks on the lot with rusted drive shafts and other frame parts. Not sure if it would eat the threads like that though. Take a look at the one on your drivers side and compare. I might be wrong, but I bet the threads are good on that side.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:25 AM

I grew up south of New orleans, the road salt up here is much worst. Thats if the truck is from the rust belt...
Old 07-25-2008, 04:39 AM

Thanks for the information.

I live in Colorado, so not too much rust out here. When I went out to look at the problem I saw some fluid already dripping out of the axle... hopefully it was only when he pulled the entire shaft out.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:15 PM

I stripped mine out when my passenger side hub went out. I got one thru our shop for like 65 bucks. I'm not sure how much they'd mark one up for a regular customer but I can't imagine it being that much. We actually found one thru an HD truck parts dealer.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:27 AM

They sent it to a specialty shop to get rebuilt, total was 390... they agreed to pay half as their conclusion was a "combination of rusted parts and a mechanics error." I'm not sure if I am happy... but I guess it could have been worse and I gotta hit the road tomorrow.