HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Alternator gone!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Alternator gone!

Hey Guys, I am up in Gilbert, MN about 240 miles from my house going ATVing. 8 miles away from the campsite, the check engine light came on, checked the codes and got a 41, fault in the charging system. I checked all connections and the 120A fuse, they seemed fine. Anything else I can check? Also, what will happen if I drain the batteries on the way home, should I wire up the fuel shut down solenoid just in case? What is the best thing I can do? Thanks, I'll check back in tonight.
Old 07-04-2004, 10:21 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
If the A/C isn't working either, check the crank sensor and it's wiring. That's how the computer knows the engine is running. If there's no crank signal it won't charge and the A/C compressor won't run.
Old 07-04-2004, 05:12 PM

Only takes a few minutes to pull the alternator.

Probably just needs a set of brushes if its the 94 you are running. I put a set in my 95 when it did the same thing you described and it fixed the problem.

Hope it doesnt spoil your ATV trip as the trails down there are pretty kewl.

Jason
Old 07-05-2004, 06:04 PM

Well, we got home today. Everything went all right, except on the way home I shut it down, oops. Then a guy with a Super Duty came by and had a great time jumping me. As far as the four wheeling, it was a great time. Except I rolled the wheeler once on a hill and it smashed into a rock I'll post some pics. Nothing too bad happened to the wheeler, just bent handlebars and a bent up rack. That is a fun place to ride though.

Hey scubasteve, where do you buy the brushes at? any auto parts store?

Thanks
Old 07-05-2004, 08:03 PM

I went to a local marine place and told him what they were for, he grabbed me a set right off the shelf.

I cant see it being a problem getting a brush kit for it, check with your local NAPA or whatever local chain is in your area.

Funny you should mention your little adventure!! When we were down there a group from Detroit was there also. The one guy just totalled his quad first day out and totalled himself in the process!!! 4 broken ribs and a broken collar bone to boot. I saw him quad which was pretty much brand new before his little adventure and that thing was pretty much a write off..

Its a BIG different from what most of us are use to up here..

Hope you get your truck sorted out

Jason
Old 07-05-2004, 08:30 PM

So did you just say it was for a 12V Cummins, and the alternators are standard on all of the engines? I am assuming the brush kits aren't standard, right?

There was a guy there this morning with a new Artic Cat with 200 miles on it. We were on top of a hill (walked up), and his buddy came driving up and made it barely. They he came up too slow and lost it and tumbeled down into the trees. It snapped his hub in half in front, and bent both racks down big time. I mean, this guys seat and battery came flying off, even his liscense plate, and his winch didn't work, so we helped him push it out of the trees and he said to just let it roll down the rest of the way, then he said that's what insurance is for! I am waiting to show the damage of our wheeler until I get the pics developed, so I can tell the ol' man that it could have been worse...
Old 07-07-2004, 06:21 PM

Any luck with the alternator matt?

Jason
Old 07-07-2004, 10:31 PM

Scubasteve, you are a GENIOUS! NO auto parts stores said I could get the brushes separately, so I called an alternator rebuilding shop. He said he had them. I pulled the alternator and took it there, he pulled the cover off and only one of my brushes was touching. He gave me the brushes and put everything together loosely so nothing would fall apart (it was only like 5 bolts and screws). Took her home, dropped the new brushes in and BANG! back to 14+ on the voltmeter My dad was trying to talk me into just getting a new alternator, he said the brushes were a pain (but that was 30 years ago). Total cost was $6.90 vs. $170 for a rebuilt alternator! That really helps my wallet! Thanks again scubasteve
Old 07-08-2004, 04:08 PM

Well Matt, the money you saved is more for your tranny!!!
Old 07-08-2004, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by MnTom
Well Matt, the money you saved is more for your tranny!!!
Old 07-08-2004, 09:17 PM

Good to see you got it fixed up and saved yourself some green.

Sometimes the slip rings that the brushes run on are worn a bit but for 7 bucks you cant beat it.

Jason