General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

young diesel owner?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I gotta tell ya, Jeepsuck, throwing the cash down for my first truck hurt, BAD! but after 2 months of work, it paid for itself, and I felt a whole lot better about the investment. My 02 is much less of a work truck now, but I still find ways of getting it to make me some jingle in my pocket (its amazing how many people actually own trailers, they cannot pull with their own vehicles!).
Old 11-06-2005, 02:32 PM

Bought this truck in August at age 20. Drove a ranger since I was 16, and have amassed a nice lot of ford trucks since then, but the fact that I could get better mileage out of a 1 ton truck than a compact truck was appealing, and the power capabilities was the clincher. And the fact that diesel was 20c/L cheaper (at the time) than gas was icing on the cake. Now its the other way around, but its still not worth it to go back to gas. And even though I'm a ford guy, the cummins was too much to resist. But like I tell a guy at work, I bought a Cummins, it just came in a Dodge.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:58 PM

bought my '04 new at 22, now 23.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:44 PM

I dont think anybody likes big trucks in itself in Boulder, CO, let alone diesels. Doesn't help that ours is loud and smokes on demand. Too bad they don't know a thing about them. You should see the eyes of people when i say that 8000 lb truck makes 20+ mpg on the highway.

By the way, if you know Boulder, you know the saying- "18 sq. miles surrounded by reality"
Old 11-06-2005, 04:30 PM

I am 18 and got my CTD 6 months ago. All the girls in my home town in Cali told me it was really hot, and the chicks down here in Phoenix like em too. But it doesnt matter what other chicks think, because my fiancee LOVES it. Plus, she looks **** SEXY driving my truck!
Old 11-06-2005, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jasper
I am 18 and got my CTD 6 months ago. All the girls in my home town in Cali told me it was really hot, and the chicks down here in Phoenix like em too. But it doesnt matter what other chicks think, because my fiancee LOVES it. Plus, she looks **** SEXY driving my truck!
Welcome to the DTR
fill in your sig so we know what you have
Old 11-06-2005, 04:32 PM

I bought my first diesel this summer at 22. Decided that driving my '93 gasser w/a 360 was killing me in gas, (about 9 on the highway, and 4 or less with the trailler). I haven only been driving it for 3 days now, as i just got it on the road wednesday. Seems to pull really well down the road, but it really does not go any faster than about 50mph. Was gonna tow scrap metal tomarrow w/it, but my "brake!" light on the dash keeps coming on and my pedal is really spongy, so i guess i will be towing at 4mpg with the '93. Anyways...bought it because the price was tooo good to pass up at $1000. Should last for many many miles down the road, and it can snowplow.

As for chicks, chicks here at the Ag. college i go to seem to either gravitate towards big trucks or those stupid rice rockets. My '93 is super clean and gets many comments from girls , but have yet to get one the cummins, granted its been on the road 4 days and looks like a POS . My girlfriend thinks that teh cummins is just another vehicle that is going to clutter up the yard..she just doesn't understand and whines about how high it sits off the ground, and the fact that the snowplow lights are blocking the view out the windshield.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:34 PM

im 16 and i bought the stroker when i was 15 chicks love it
Old 11-06-2005, 07:25 PM

Girls here dont like diesels too much.. but thats a good thing anyways, keep em away so theres more money to spend on the truck!
Old 11-06-2005, 07:31 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heh, if I want to get with the ladies I make sure not to drive my truck anywhere near them... I still don't get any, though.

Women...

I guess that it should be better in a couple months when I get the vinyl wrap installed...
Old 11-06-2005, 08:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Bought the truck in my sig when i was 20, i am 21 now.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:07 PM

had a gasser from 16 til 20. Bought my first cummins at 20 then my current cummins at 22. Never turnin back to gas!
Old 11-06-2005, 11:09 PM

Talking

I'm 16 and I made darn sure that my 1st vehicle was a diesel . I still have to work it off some more (I currently own only $500 of the truck). All the chicks at my school love my truck . I haven't heard one complaint about it. Its funny to look out at the student parking lot and theres a bunch of cars and small trucks and then stickin out like a sore thumb is my cummins . Like beeram305 said, its hilarious when kids at my school ask me, "whats it get for gas mileage". I just say "it runs on diesel and if I behave myself I can get 22-23mpg". The blank look on their faces is priceless

I'm known as the "redneck" at school I guess. Hey I can't help it if I like hunting,sleds, fishing, guns, country music and my cummins. Alan Jackson said it himself, its alright to be a redneck

And for those older guys wondering why I got a 3/4 ton cummins for my 1st vehicle let alone 1st truck. Here are my reasons:

1) I'm putting a snowmobile deck on it, and I needed a 3/4 ton that will get half decent mileage with 2 sleds on it and gear
2) I love diesels in every way,shape and form, except for those darn v-8 non-rattly diesels known as the duramax and 6.oh no.
3) At the time when we bought it, diesel was cheaper than gas. *** happened there?
4) Ease and relative cheapness of bombing a 1st gen.
5) I'm using this ol' girl for hunting, and as far as I'm concerned, its more than tough enough to fit the bill
Old 11-06-2005, 11:26 PM

I'm 19, and I dont have a diesel yet(my stepdad has an 03), but after I get my buick on the road(83 regal-price:free, and has 87000 original miles, 1 owner), I may clean up my 97 gasser good, and try to sell it, and get me a 12v. I love when a diesel rolls smoke, and the sound from a cummins is awesome.

On my 97, I have true duals with glasspacks, and the girls here in town dont like the pipes per se, but some do(the country girls do). Let a girl drive it the other night that I had just met, and she was giving guys the pipes and everything else, it was awesome. NOBODY gets to drive my truck, so it was a different experience riding in the passenger seat.

I'll get me a diesel one day(soon hopefully), so I can start modding it, and get it right.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:32 PM

got mine at the young age of 46, Love it and so does my wife

Quick Reply: young diesel owner?