General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

young diesel owner?

Old 11-07-2005, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey extreme, you've heard the saying ... better late than never.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by jeepsuck
anywho, i gotta ask. how do some of you guys that are even younger than me afford these nice pricey rigs? i spent $8700 on my 1st gen (which i thought was quite a lot) that i would never have been able to swing without my credit union for some strange reason being willing to finance me at 4.9%.
I am wondering the same thing. I am a 22 year old college student, and my 92 was the best thing that i could afford without borowing money. There are alot of newer diesel rigs around campus, and I cannot figure out why a college student would even want a pickup that new or nice (unless, of course, they are not paying).

Anyway, I got my Dodge about a year ago after looking for quite a while. I was lucky to find the pickup, considering that it only had 102,000 miles on it. $8700 seemed like a fair price, and I got as much for trade as one could expect for my 93 F-150 piece of junk, so I went for it. Sometimes I wish I would have just gotten a car, and held out for a pickup until I got out of school, but now I have a good pickup, so I can't complain too much. I have had fun with the bombing, and I am sure that there will be much more to come. And, luckily, my parents kept their old car, so I have something to drive that does not take $3.00/gal diesel.

I don't know what the ladies think of diesels around here. Some are country girls (although I a a ranch kid & proud of it, some of these chics are a little too redneck) some drive diesels. But, of course, since I drive a 1st gen, I can't evpect much attention anyway.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:33 PM

sorry i am a little late but i bought my 03 new when i was 19 and i'm 21 now.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:49 PM

21 now, bought mine last january at age 20. I not only realized the milage but the power, oh the power.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:09 PM

I wanted one back in high school when the second gens came out. Bought my first one a year ago and my dream truck 6 months ago. I sure wish I could have afforded one back in 94. I would still be driving it!
Old 11-07-2005, 03:24 PM

I got mine when i was 19. I drove GMC Jimmy full size until then. As far as chicks not liking them, my girlfriend loves the turbo and and smoke
Old 11-07-2005, 03:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NoSparkplugs
I'm 16 and I made darn sure that my 1st vehicle was a diesel . I still have to work it off some more (I currently own only $500 of the truck).
Sounds a lot like my situation. I am still working to pay for my truck too. We do have one ford IDI at our school. The guy put stacks on it that look horrible (one sticks up 2 feet above the cab, the other 2.5 )...
And I know what you mean about gas being cheaper than diesel now When I decided this was the truck I wanted, diesel was at least .20 lower than gas.. oh well, I'm still glad I got this truck and not a gasser.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:43 PM

When I bought mine, diesel was slightly more than gas, but I figure that it would easily beat the 13 mpg of that worthless-half-***-excuse-of-an-engine 302, so I would save money on fuel. The pickup costed much more than a gas pickup would have, but I wanted a diesel for the pullin' power, the longevity, and the noice, so that's justified!

Gman07, it looks like my pickup must be identical to your's. Same year, same paint job, everything. Sweet ride!
Old 11-07-2005, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by MJDiesel

Gman07, it looks like my pickup must be identical to your's. Same year, same paint job, everything. Sweet ride!

have a go at mine!

hrmm $8700 and only 100K? you bastarrrdo! i paid that with 180k. oh well, at least i got an extra cab
Old 11-07-2005, 06:09 PM

haha. The more that I think about it, the more strongly I believe that I got a good deal. Thats a nice pickup. If you ever ride much in a single cab, you will be happy to have an extended cab. From what I have seen, they are usually worth quite a bit more. For 180,000, the pickup looks nice. the engine will last much longer than that if you take care of it.

I think that quite a few 92s were sold with the grey-white paint job. Here at college, there's one running around that is identical to mine, except that I think he has the getrag. A farmer close to my college town has one just like mine, but with nice wheels. There was an EX.cab, just like yours at a dealer for sale a while ago.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:11 PM

I bought my CTD in june 2005 and I love it. I paid for it and all that and it has been a great truck. Awesome deal as well. Now the Van Aaken V5 arrives for it tomorrow and I will have some Vroom. Lol
Old 11-07-2005, 07:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MJDiesel

Nowhere near the same. Mine is a 3 tone: white, silver, peeled off...
Plus, mine has clearance lights . Yeah, yours is a great looking truck. If only my paint looked like that... I really like the white/silver, so I think I might end up painting my truck next summer. It's either that or a Goerend trans...
Old 11-07-2005, 10:07 PM

After I got mine, I noticed that it had some of that peeled tone on the roof. I noticed it when I took the visor off. Oh well, no-one can see it anyway. I need to get some better pictures of it on here. I might have em next week after I go home.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:10 AM

Cool

I'm college student too, got mine 99 ctd at 20 last february when diesel is still cheaper than regular unleaded. I have to hold off my spending, save my financial aid and work money to play off the truck. Sometime I walk around school campus parking lot seeing new ford truck diesel and wonder similar with MJDiesel how college student can effort such expensive truck. I live in southern california so most of younger mid 20 people(caucasian) drive ford diesel truck, older crowd alittle more wiser drive their duramax or cummins. I'm asian and I live in an asian community so alot of people my ages dive civic and acura. Im on the other side of the spectrum, asian girl here wanted to hand out with the gangsta wannabe driving civic down here. So im worse than u guy at try to fit in ok!
Old 11-08-2005, 01:40 AM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought the first diesal i have ever owend at the age of 21 4months ago and i will never go back to gasser again

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: young diesel owner?