General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Would a gas or diesel truck be best for me?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would a gas or diesel truck be best for me?

Hi, I am new to this forum so hopefully this is the right spot for this.

I will be 16 soon and I can either drive our 2007 Durango with AWD and the 4.7L V8, or I can sell it or just save up the money for a truck. If I sold it I would go for a diesel because the rango tows more than a good chunk of gas trucks, and I wouldn't want to downgrade.
I'll be hauling a double axle trailer loaded with fourwheelers every weekend, so its not a big load its just a frequent one. I want something reliable, and decent on fuel mileage with good power.
Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
Old 02-28-2013, 12:47 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The Durango would probably be better for when you're not towing.
If you put on more miles towing go for a diesel.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:05 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm guessing you'll have about $8-$9k to spend after selling the Dirt-rango. Hypothetically, that puts you within reach of a 2nd gen 12v with reasonable miles (if you can find one for sale that is). From an MPG standpoint, the CTD will do a little better then the Dingo, more so on the highway. But diesel usually costs more, so it'd be a wash. Replacing wear items and even routine maintenance on the CTDs can eat you alive, especially if you're paying some one else to do it. On the plus side, the truck will hold it's value where the Dirt-rango is headed down, down, down. Also the 4.7 has cooling system issues, blown headgaskets, etc.

If I could find a good 2nd gen 12v (1996-97 are good years) with under 200k miles, and could fix and maintain it myself and were really in love with diesels I'd go for it. Otherwise, I'd just get a 1/2 ton gasser pickup or keep the Dingo for hauling the atvs.

Remember, the old saying "you can buy it, but can you afford it?" applies doubly so for a diesel.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:00 PM

I am a hard worker and very mechanically inclined for my age. I can handle the routine maintenance for sure and learn to do the other stuff. I will have a job so I can pay fuel and oil. My biggest fear would be having to do a big repair. I like the idea of extra power from the diesel.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well you're 16. You want to drive a gramma-mobile or something cool?
Durango = more practical. Diesel = more fun.
I know I ditched my mom's hand me down car ASAP when I was in high school in favor of something with some hp.
If you're mech inclined then find a deal on something, but save a couple $thousand in case of a major repair. Best bet, find a truck that has new(er) injectors and inj pump, newer transmission or a manual trans, then you'll be pretty safe on repair parts. Everything else is cheap compared to those parts.
Best yet, find a decent 12V and then the complexity and cost of engine parts goes down a bit.
Do you get the proceeds form the Durango to spend? If so you should be able to find a nice truck for that much. Good luck. Roll coal!
Old 03-01-2013, 03:51 PM

I agree with you completely. I love feeling power, not sluggish stuff. Yes, I will be able to spend the money from the Durango.
Also, we are redoing a 68 Chevelle that will be "in the family" I will be able to drive it on nice warm days. So, I will have something fun to drive sometimes, but I want the daily driver to be fun too.
Essentially the truck will be a daily driver, hauler, and something I'm not worried about getting dirty. But like I said, I want the DD to be fun as well. Would you definitely say get a Cummins, or should I look at duramax or power stroke?
Old 03-03-2013, 03:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't shy away from a Dmax if it was the right deal. But be aware and do your research first. Every vehicle has its weak and strong suits. Dmax is good if you don't get injector problems. Not nearly as user friendly to work on though.
Couldn't give me a Pstrokr. A 7.3 would be ok but that's it and even so in my experience the 7.3s are not the greatest at anything other than they last along time.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
A diesel that you can afford is going to be thrashed because they don't depreciate very quickly.

Stick with the gas until you have the cash and the need for a diesel.